: Apple TV Wireless Desktop?

JumboJones
Nov 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Can the ATV mirror your desktop or have an extended desktop on your tv? It would be nice to extend the desktop wirelessly for presentations or for program training.

kevleviathan
Nov 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
As far as I know, it can't even do this when it's jailbroken (yet?).

fjnmusic
Nov 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Can the ATV mirror your desktop or have an extended desktop on your tv? It would be nice to extend the desktop wirelessly for presentations or for program training.

It would be nice, but no, that is not what it's designed for.

johnnydee
Nov 10th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I've seen the old ATV run os x with a slimmed down version!

JumboJones
Nov 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Crappy, thanks guys. Can you view pdfs or any kind of excel or word documents through it?

What kind of connectivity does it have with an iPad? Can you view you iPad desktop on an atv?

Stephanie
Nov 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Crappy, thanks guys. Can you view pdfs or any kind of excel or word documents through it?

What kind of connectivity does it have with an iPad? Can you view you iPad desktop on an atv?

At the moment, none of the above. All it does is play media.

Presumably(*) when iOS 4.2 is released, and a software update comes to the ATV, then you'll be able to use AirPlay to send media from the iPad to the ATV, but it probably won't be spreadsheets or documents; just media.

(* I say presumably because none of the iOS4.2betas has allowed AirPlay to send anything other than audio to the appletv. Everyone assumes the ATV will need a software update, but Apple hasn't said anything to the devs about it, so nobody's been able to test it.)

fjnmusic
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:24 PM

You can view PDFs if you save them as JPGs and import them into iPhoto. Not the most elegant, but it works.