: Tethering ip4 and ipad on Rogers

lnorman
Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm sure this has been talked about here a great deal, but my search still leaves me a bit unclear.
I have an iP4 with rogers 6GB/$30 plan.
can I buy a wifi only ipad, and tether it through my phone without jaibreaking/unlocking or other fancy footwork and use data on the ipad?

Joker Eh
Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
stupid isn't it? not without jailbreaking the ipad.

I just don't get it, apple allows you to tether you iphone to your computer but not the ipad, what’s the difference?

And what makes me angry (ok not really but close) is they don't explain why? What was the reason you don't allow that feature? Why because I think then you wouldn't buy a 3G version of the ipad and Apple is appeasing to the wireless carriers here.

Why can't 2 devices from the same company with soon the same OS connect to each other and work together smoothly.

hayesk
Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
You have to jailbreak your iPhone so that it provides tethering to WiFi, or jailbreak your iPad so that it gets its Internet from BlueTooth.

lnorman
Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
That's what I thought from the threads I found. But a friend at work told me he is tethering ip4 and iPad without jailbreaking. He said he just turned tethering on in the ip4 and presto! I'll have to check with him what is really going on. Maybe he is on wifi and just thinks it's tethering?

thadley
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah, no, your friend is wrong or is, in fact, tethering his iPhone 5, which presumably he found in a bar, to his iPad 2 (assuming he also found that in a bar). None of the current model iPads or iPhones can do that without jailbreaking at least something.

The only way I could think of it would be if you somehow tethered your iPhone to a computer and used the computer to create a wifi hotspot...but that kind of means if you want mobile internet on your iPad you need to carry around a laptop with you.