: iPhone Killer?

iheartmac
Oct 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Facebook is holding a mobile event on Nov 3rd to announce something. Judging by the graphic on the invitation it looks like a phone:

What's on Facebook's mind? Mobile event set for November 3rd -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/30/whats-on-facebooks-mind-mobile-event-set-for-november-3rd/)

Bets?

ertman
Oct 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Facebook is holding a mobile event on Nov 3rd to announce something. Judging by the graphic on the invitation it looks like a phone:

What's on Facebook's mind? Mobile event set for November 3rd -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/30/whats-on-facebooks-mind-mobile-event-set-for-november-3rd/)

Bets?

But, why?

Andrew Pratt
Oct 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I can't see why FaceBook would bother with a phone. They're far more likely to pony up with Apple or an Android distrib and go that route. I see it more likely that they'll either integrate Ping and FaceTime into the existing app's or do something similar using an Android base.

bsenka
Oct 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I can see why. There are a lot more Facebook users than there are iPhone users. If Facebook can market a phone that advertises always on all the time facebook use, but little else for a low "no limit" price, they'll sell a LOT of them.

kloan
Oct 30th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I just deleted my Facbook account... this interests me as much as getting my finger stuck in the blender.

iheartmac
Oct 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I just deleted my Facbook account... this interests me as much as getting my finger stuck in the blender.

I hear ya. I like to keep my minimal use of FB to the interwebs. No way would I ever let FB take over my phone but- and I'm just thinking out loud here- there are a lot of people(500 million usere) that use Facebook in a more 'life-intergrated' kind of way.

If you think of it Facebook is almost like it's own little OS...kinda. But, the OS would like the FB app for iPhone but on 'roids People write apps for the site so if you can port that over to a phone along with the people, contacts, messages, events, pics, vids, news feed etc from your FB account and integrate it well then they might have something. Maybe....

I couldn't care less either way but if they did make a phone it might be Apple's only real threat considering how often and how many people use FB.

jayman
Oct 30th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Just what the world needs, a phone that constantly updates you about someones farm, or poker wins... I think it's more likely to be something like Andrew has said.

Stephanie
Oct 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
They're going to announce that they've just signed a great new partnership deal that will bring better integration to the leading mobile device platform, as well as doing this that and the next thing, and when they are about to announce who the new alliance is with, Jobs will walk out onto the stage, with the new 7" iPad FaceBook edition...

Then again, I don't do facebook or tweeter or any of that jazz and haven't even seen what a facebook site looks like. (I know my sister has one but it won't let me see it without logging on or something, and that was the limit of my interest.)

Cheers

Joker Eh
Oct 31st, 2010, 08:39 AM
i just deleted my facbook account... This interests me as much as getting my finger stuck in the blender.

+1

bsenka
Nov 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM

I'm sure if your finger were currently stuck in a blender, you might be interested in the outcome.

thadley
Nov 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Don't know if I'd call a Facebook Phone an iPhone Killer. But maybe closer than anyone else has come.

Although it may not be of interest to many here, Facebook has a solid user-base and has even, in ways, built its own App Store. You'd have instant access to all your contacts, synced over FB, a built in, synced Calendar app, "free" messaging (i.e. FB chat used through push, using only data and not text messages) and quick photo and video sharing.

Throw in, say, iTunes integration to allow you to upload your iTunes music to your Facebook Phone and I'd say you've got a solid use case for many people, particularly younger people who essentially live their lives on Facebook and have never really known a world without it.

The Facebook Phone, if it exists, wouldn't be for us here; it'd be for our kids, or for people who've never really done the smartphone thing before. Price it right and you'll put a serious shot across BlackBerry's bow in terms of their marketing to youth with BBM.

My two cents, anyway.