: Fido iPhone Upgrade Eligibility rescinded. No exceptions.

jasonwood
Oct 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
On July 29, 2010 Rogers announced that customers who activated their iPhone before December 31, 2008, were eligible for $480 off the no-term device price and Fido announced a similar offer in the form of a bill credit. I bought my iPhone in July 2008.

The next day, July 30, 2010, the iPhone was released in Canada, and I have been trying to buy one ever since. But not only have I been wasting countless hours on the phone and on my bicycle trying to get one, now that I finally found one in stock, I find that Fido has ended my upgrade eligibility as of Tuesday.

So the fact that iPhone availability has been constrained has cost me my time + $480.

I spoke to Fido customer service on the phone. I politely explained that while I respect the right to modify or cancel any promotion at any time, it is unacceptable to offer a promotion during constrained availability, then refuse to honour it to customers that have been trying to buy throughout this time. I explained that I have been trying to use the promotion since the day it was announced but Fido was unable to hold up their end of the bargain (having the phone!), and that it would be ridiculous, unacceptable, and just plain bizarre that they would not honour the original policy for me. I was told repeatedly that there were no exceptions (admittedly, I was getting repetitive too!) and then I was hung up on.

I have been a satisfied Fido customer for about 12 years, and the first time I ask for something (something quite reasonable in my opinion), I am hung up on.

Even if they give me what I originally wanted now, I'm not sure that would be enough to salvage my business. Pretty shocked and outraged at the moment.

monokitty
Oct 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
https://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/90397-no-more-rogers-discount.html.

You're not alone.

fjnmusic
Oct 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
On July 29, 2010 Rogers announced that customers who activated their iPhone before December 31, 2008, were eligible for $480 off the no-term device price and Fido announced a similar offer in the form of a bill credit. I bought my iPhone in July 2008.

The next day, July 30, 2010, the iPhone was released in Canada, and I have been trying to buy one ever since. But not only have I been wasting countless hours on the phone and on my bicycle trying to get one, now that I finally found one in stock, I find that Fido has ended my upgrade eligibility as of Tuesday.

So the fact that iPhone availability has been constrained has cost me my time + $480.

I spoke to Fido customer service on the phone. I politely explained that while I respect the right to modify or cancel any promotion at any time, it is unacceptable to offer a promotion during constrained availability, then refuse to honour it to customers that have been trying to buy throughout this time. I explained that I have been trying to use the promotion since the day it was announced but Fido was unable to hold up their end of the bargain (having the phone!), and that it would be ridiculous, unacceptable, and just plain bizarre that they would not honour the original policy for me. I was told repeatedly that there were no exceptions (admittedly, I was getting repetitive too!) and then I was hung up on.

I have been a satisfied Fido customer for about 12 years, and the first time I ask for something (something quite reasonable in my opinion), I am hung up on.

Even if they give me what I originally wanted now, I'm not sure that would be enough to salvage my business. Pretty shocked and outraged at the moment.

If this offer was in writing or posted on a website and you can prove you attempted to purchase one from them (the rain check concept), I would think you have a very good case from a legal standpoint. It's not your fault they ran down the clock.

G-Mo
Oct 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Just upgraded (on Fido) now. Account said not available until Jan 11, 2011... Blue shirt called, spent 5mins on the phone with dealer rep for Fido, 10 minutes later brand new iPhone 4 in my hands with HUP pricing ($159), minus my Fido dollars so I only owe an extra $19 on my next bill! (Still in store now!!)

silentsim
Oct 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM
"Second, we are extending one component of our early Hardware Upgrade offer through the end of the year. Any customer who activated or upgraded an earlier version of the iPhone with Rogers/Fido on a term contract on or before December 31, 2008 will continue to be eligible for at least $480 off the no-term device price when they upgrade to an iPhone 4. They can pick up an iPhone 4 16GB/32GB for $159/$269 on a new 3-year voice and data plan."

iPhone 4 launches tomorrow on Rogers | Rogers RedBoard (http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/iphone-4-launches-tomorrow-on-rogers/)

It has been extended, so maybe some employee's don't know yet. This applies to both Fido and Rogers.