: iPhone 4 Tethering via USB not working

Adrian.
Oct 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hey all

I used to tether my phone all the time before 4.1 came around. Now whenever I try to tether via usb it launches iPhoto and iTunes to Sync. Even after I've just synced the phone. I can tether via BT, but I don't understand what is going on with USB.

I've rebooted both machines.

Any ideas?

mguertin
Oct 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I ran into this as well. Is it just not getting a DHCP address when it's plugged in? If so plug in the iPhone, then launch iTunes while it is plugged in. Remove and then re-create the iPhone "port" in your network settings.

After this the port should actually be working. I think this only needs to happen one time and then it "just works" from then on, but I haven't had to use tethering again since then (but it worked several times after I did that).

Lame but true :/

Adrian.
Oct 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM
No dice.

This is the screenshot: Whoops! - TinyGrab (http://grab.by/6SUE)

No idea what's going on.

Thanks for the help.

mguertin
Oct 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Yep that's what mine looked like until I did the steps above .. found it on the apple support forums. Good luck.

Pat McCrotch
Oct 16th, 2010, 05:53 PM
No dice.

This is the screenshot: Whoops! - TinyGrab (http://grab.by/6SUE)

No idea what's going on.

Thanks for the help.

I got the fix for this problem through apple's troubleshooting documentation:

1) open network prefs
2)select the connection you've created for tethering (or that was created automatically)
3) in the bottom left hand corner, click the gear wheel (the one by the +/-) and select "disable"
4) repeat 3 except select "enable"

Your tethering now works once again. You can get the same result by creating a new connection but that doesn't always work.

lightbulb
Oct 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Ditto with my MBP & SL; USB tethered connection not connecting. While talking to Apple support (which wasn't able to readily solve) inadvertently solved by launching iTunes. Once iTunes launched, connection made and you can close iTunes.

Pat's Disable - Enable fix didn't work for me.

The tethering works fine with my old Powerbook though....