: Weird iPhone 4 Behaviours

SINC
Oct 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
When using my iPhone 4, I experience weird behaviour once every three days or so. I will make a call and be talking the the wife when she suddenly says, "hello", "are you there".

I then know then it has happened again where for whatever reason, I can hear her fine, but she cannot hear me. I then hang up and redial and things work fine, but it is really annoying. (I do have a rubber-like case that covers the sides entirely to avoid dropped calls.)

The other thing is that it keeps going into speaker mode all by itself. It seems if I move the phone nearer to my cheek, it activates the speaker phone function. Should it really be that sensitive?

Has anyone else had this happen? I guess a trip to the Apple store is in order unless someone has a fix?

champcar
Oct 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM
When using my iPhone 4, I experience weird behaviour once every three days or so. I will make a call and be talking the the wife when she suddenly says, "hello", "are you there".

I then know then it has happened again where for whatever reason, I can hear her fine, but she cannot hear me. I then hang up and redial and things work fine, but it is really annoying. (I do have a rubber-like case that covers the sides entirely to avoid dropped calls.)

The other thing is that it keeps going into speaker mode all by itself. It seems if I move the phone nearer to my cheek, it activates the speaker phone function. Should it really be that sensitive?

Has anyone else had this happen? I guess a trip to the Apple store is in order unless someone has a fix?

Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Can you hear me is mute coming on and the other issue is you are activating the speakephone.. If it continues go to Apple Store and get a new one

Stephanie
Oct 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Are you up to date on the iOS 4.1? As Champcar said, it sounds like the proximity sensor issue, which was supposed to have been fixed in one of the updates.

If you're on the latest iOS and still having the problem then certainly a trip to the Apple store would be in order.

SINC
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback. My software is right up to date, but the problem is getting worse. Apple store here I come.

Joker Eh
Oct 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Just to let you know the prox sensor has an update coming in 4.2 release. It was not fixed complete in last release, but go to Apple and see what they say.

SINC
Oct 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
My new iPhone is now updating the software to 4.1 and then I will restore it from my back up.

They took a look at it, punched in some numbers and said, "we'll replace it now", and they did.

Time will tell if it works OK now.

SINC
Oct 12th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I had forgotten what a horrible job it is to restore your iPhone. You would think there would be s single function to do this, but no way. You have to wade through all your apps, your music your photos, your movies your ringtones, etc., and reselect them all to put the phone back to where it was. C'mon Apple, you can do better than this. Why not a "restore to previous" button? GRRRRRR!