: Wanted To Buy G4 MDD Power supply

Roach13
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I am, as I'm sure a few others are, looking for a PSU for a G4 MDD. Mine just stopped working and I don't want to toss this great computer out just yet.

Cheers,

John

krs
Sep 27th, 2010, 04:01 AM
If you can't find an actual MDD power supply ypou could try for the Samsung replacement:
Samsung PSCF401601B(C)

In any case - a proper supply will set ypou back about $100.-

The other option is to rewire a PC supply - the problem there is the mounting. But it would be a lot cheaper.

Roach13
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
How reliable is it if you rewire a PC PSU? I've heard certain function may not work like Firewire which would be important to me.

krs
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:04 PM
The only electrical issue is powering the ADC port as far as I know.
It requires a voltage the PC supplies don't have.
Although I have read occasionally hat people think there is a firewire power issue as well, I don't think that is really true.
I had a contingency plan to use a PC power supply in my old G4 AGP which does have firewire and none of the rewiring articles mentioned that there was an issue.
In fact, for an AGP G4 the wiring mod to use a PC supply was fairly minor - 2 leads had to be re-routed if I remember.
I was going to make an adapter cable to do the rerouting which would have left both the PC supply and the Mac motherboard intact and would have really simplified any subsequent power supply replacements if needed.
But when I replaced my faithful G4 after more than 10 years of faithful service, it was still on its original supply.

Here are two articles that give you an idea of what's involved in your case:
G4 MDD ATX Power Supply Conversion (http://jimmykirk.com/?p=34)
Power Mac G4 (MDD) ATX Power Supply conversion | Applefritter (http://www.applefritter.com/node/23857)

If you're electrically a bit adapt, maybe you can get a free suitable PC supply that people are throwing out, just buy the cable to make an adapter and just try it out.

Replacement supplies for the MDD run $100 and more - and it sounds as if they are not that reliable.