: Toronto mayoral race heat up

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
As of September 20th, Rob Ford holds a significant lead over George "adult diapers" Smitherman in distant second place.

It's quite fascinating to watch, since the ineffectual David Miller had orchestrated a succession planning effort by stepping aside for this election. By his reasoning, he would lose to any non-NDP candidate, so he deliberately withdrew in order to solidify the splendid progress he's made at City Hall. When his hand-picked lefty candidate Adam Giambrone imploded, all bets were off.

I always enjoy watching the best laid political plans fall to pieces.

Edit: I could say that I meant that the race was a "heat-up" but I simply forgot the "s" and even killing the window at the last second couldn't save me.

Amiga2000HD
Sep 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I hope there's a selection for "None of the above" on the ballot on October 25th. I don't think any of the candidates would make a very good mayor, including Giambrone while he was still running. There's nobody on the ticket that looks like they'd be able to run the place in an effective manner.

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
My favourite campaign poster so far was a Smitherman handbill pasted to the ridiculously lengthy Boor Street revitalization construction project--five years of torn up streets for three blocks. The sign said: "If Smitherman were mayor, this would be finished by now!"

I don't believe it, but it showed some chutzpah.

jimbotelecom
Sep 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM
So the same city that elected Mel Lastperson is going to elect this boar Ford? Good luck with that.

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
So the same city that elected Mel Lastperson is going to elect this boar Ford? Good luck with that.

I want the cost-cutting boar over the bleeding heart boar!

jimbotelecom
Sep 20th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I want the cost-cutting boar over the bleeding heart boar!

Good luck with that.:D

adagio
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
If this comes true, and I hope it does, it will be an interesting 4 years.

I'll be honest and say I didn't usually check out the candidates for councillor that much but this election is different. I'm lucky to have what seems a good guy running against the useless incumbent in my ward. Time to turf his backside to the curb and get someone fresh, I hope.

I was recently at a condo meeting and prior to the start of the agenda the conversation was about the elections. I've found many more folks engaged than ever before. They ARE talking and listening, not sleeping like usual. Ford is leading because he is the voice of Toronto as a whole, not just the downtown core. The media have helped too. By suggesting anyone interested in Ford is a illiterate moron, papers like the Star and the G&M have done more to finalize people's decisions than anything else. The owners in my high end condo are anything but uneducated goofs but they are VERY VERY upset at the status quo in the city. We look outside at a crumbling road full of potholes and rely on a streetcar that is totally unreliable for public transportation to downtown. There used to be a private bus that would take residents directly to union station but it was shut down by city council and the TTC unions. A bloomin" disgrace!!! Maybe Ford can't do much in the end but it won't be because he didn't listen and make the effort. We're sick of someone's "vision" without paying attention to the needs of the city infrastructure like roads, sewers, water which are decaying. Visions are great but not at the expense of things which are needed to keep a city functional.

I hope people do get out and vote, for whoever, rather than not participating then complaining afterward.

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I agree adagio. The panic in Toronto Star articles is evident because the notion of a fiscal conservative taking the helm is an affront to them. I think their "anybody but Ford" campaign will backfire on them.

GratuitousApplesauce
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Sounds like the joke candidate is poised to win. Should be a whacky 4 years at the Centre of the Universe.

i-rui
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I agree adagio. The panic in Toronto Star articles is evident because the notion of a fiscal conservative taking the helm is an affront to them. I think their "anybody but Ford" campaign will backfire on them.

the problem isn't that Ford is a fiscal conservative, the problem is he's not very bright.

it's easy to SAY he'll balance the budget, yada yad yada....but without a real plan or leadership nothing will get done and we'll be worse off after 4 years. He seems glaringly incapable to have the ability to lead & run a city (especially one as large as Toronto)

Ultimately I suppose it's the other candidates faults for not being able to step up and to expose just how empty his rhetoric is.

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Ultimately I suppose it's the other candidates faults for not being able to step up and to expose just how empty his rhetoric is.

As they're offering nothing but EXPENSIVE and empty rhetoric involving massive public spending, I'll go with Ford's empty rhetoric.

i-rui
Sep 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I agree to an extent. They're letting Ford drive the election, and now they're trying to out-ford him to grab the headlines.

I actually LIVE in Ford's ward. It's not exactly paradise. The local city arena where i play hockey has the worst parking lot I've ever driven on in any city, in any country (it's right out of a war zone). The roads that i rollerblade on are also a mess (i use to live in mississauga - now that's a city that is well run). The nearest public school to me is rundown. I know from firsthand experience that Ford is pushing a load of BS.

The interesting thing is Ford has capitalized on many voters anti-immigrant sentiments, but if someone was to actually visit the ward that he's in charge of they'd see a much higher percentage of immigrants than most of the rest of the city. And not just any immigrants, but visible minorities like indian & somali. I'm not exactly sure how he was able to spin that one in his favour.

hhk
Sep 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Is Ford really anti-immigrant? Or, is that some sort of label bestowed on him by the Toronto Star? I recall Ford saying that Toronto couldn't accomodate any more newcomers but I don't think he specified their origin. I mean those newcomers could be from Tilsonburg.

I'm on the fence about the guy. The alternatives are so distasteful. At least Ford doesn't pretend to be anything but a beer-chugging doofus. He admitted he doesn't read and I think his favourite TV show is Gilligan's Island. Something about Ginger and those coconuts. Better than David Miller flying all over the world pretending he's the second coming of Bobby Kennedy.

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I agree to an extent. They're letting Ford drive the election, and now they're trying to out-ford him to grab the headlines.

I actually LIVE in Ford's ward. It's not exactly paradise. The local city arena where i play hockey has the worst parking lot I've ever driven on in any city, in any country (it's right out of a war zone). The roads that i rollerblade on are also a mess (i use to live in mississauga - now that's a city that is well run). The nearest public school to me is rundown. I know from firsthand experience that Ford is pushing a load of BS.

How much is Ford responsible for that? The city prioritizes spending.

i-rui
Sep 20th, 2010, 05:39 PM
if he can't run etobicoke north properly how can anyone expect him to run the entire city?

whatiwant
Sep 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
if he can't run etobicoke north properly how can anyone expect him to run the entire city?
He'll (EDIT: get hammered &) beat'em down... one woman/hockey fan at a time? oh wait... charges dropped.
hehe

adagio
Sep 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Try living in South Etobicoke and see what our roads look like. It is a city wide thing. No councillor has the power to get their roads fixed. Have you seen the state of the schools in the rest of the city? Some look like they belong in the Buffalo core.

No money for road repairs but plenty for building yet more speed humps. Lot's of money for more stop lights to create greater congestion.

There seems to have been plenty of money for parties and junkets to China, Florida or Italy.

Ford is definitely not anti immigrant. He's done a lot of work on his own time and dime with the Jamaican, Somali and Sri Lankan communities. The Star tried that smear campaign but didn't get far after a leader from the Somali group called BS on the Star. Ford has not capitalized on any anti-immigrant sentiment. He spoke the truth when he said the city cannot handle "ANY" more people in the city until the infrastructure is in place to handle them. He is correct.

Macfury
Sep 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM

adagio is right. He isn't allowed to use city funds to build roads on his own.

groovetube
Sep 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM
the problem isn't that Ford is a fiscal conservative, the problem is he's not very bright.

it's easy to SAY he'll balance the budget, yada yad yada....but without a real plan or leadership nothing will get done and we'll be worse off after 4 years. He seems glaringly incapable to have the ability to lead & run a city (especially one as large as Toronto)

bingo. It is unfortunate that this buffoon has learn to spout catch phrases that no doubt plenty of lemmings will rush to admire, but after 4 years of this embarrassment his reign will come to abrupt end.

When it comes time to deliver and be an effective mayor, that's when his house of cards will collapse. It's be both a frustrating, and somewhat entertaining 4 years though.

groovetube
Sep 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
How much is Ford responsible for that? The city prioritizes spending.

let's guess that none of it's Ford's fault.
;)

adagio
Sep 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
let's guess that none of it's Ford's fault.
;)
It isn't.

groovetube
Sep 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM
It isn't.

great so he'll fix it when he's mayor?
;)

i-rui
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
adagio is right. He isn't allowed to use city funds to build roads on his own.

And when he's mayor he won't be able to use city funds for anything either. everything still has to go through city council, and Ford doesn't have the political know how to get anything done.

Just watch how he deals with people. (caution - swearing)

z8EpSdyB0zY

he has all the social skills of a 10 year old.

groovetube
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM
And when he's mayor he won't be able to use city funds for anything either. everything still has to go through city council, and Ford doesn't have the political know how to get anything done.

z8EpSdyB0zY

that's exactly why he will fail as mayor. It's going to require far more than being able to parrot things people want to hear.

He will be representing the biggest city in Canada. That's, enough to make on pause for a second, particularly after that video. Though, some people are all good with that I guess.

Ottawaman
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uinnsxnNrdM&feature=player_embedded)

Dr.G.
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM

z8EpSdyB0zY

Watching the clip, i-rui, that is an insult to many well-mannered 10 year old children.

groovetube
Sep 20th, 2010, 10:06 PM
lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uinnsxnNrdM&feature=player_embedded)

ha ha ha.

pretty bang on actually.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM
And when he's mayor he won't be able to use city funds for anything either. everything still has to go through city council.

Of course. But it wasn't me who blamed Ford for the condition of roads in Etobicoke.

i-rui
Sep 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM
Of course. But it wasn't me who blamed Ford for the condition of roads in Etobicoke.

if you re-read what i wrote you'll see neither did I.

What I did was point out that he CAN'T SOLVE the simple problems of a small ward in etobicoke. It's hopeless to think he'll be able to run Canada's largest city.

mrjimmy
Sep 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM
It's hopeless to think he'll be able to run Canada's largest city.

... and embarrassing.

Rob Ford a fiscal conservative? I think that's far too early to be determined. I think he's simply a used car salesman using gimmicks to sell his product. His product? Rob Ford obviously.

But the trouble is, who's his competition? Smitherman and/ or Rossi? Too slippery and vague. They have run terrible campaigns. Truthfully, they all have.

Sad day for the TDot.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM
if you re-read what i wrote you'll see neither did I.

What I did was point out that he CAN'T SOLVE the simple problems of a small ward in etobicoke. It's hopeless to think he'll be able to run Canada's largest city.

Why would you choose Etobicoke as an example then? Should I point out that David Miller could not solve the problems of his ward? That line of reasoning makes no sense.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM
But the trouble is, who's his competition? Smitherman and/ or Rossi? Too slippery and vague. They have run terrible campaigns. Truthfully, they all have.

Both have offered then notion that they will bring responsibility to government, hold the line on spending... and offer some major costly initiatives to the people of Toronto. That's dead in the water for those who are tired of the monstrous tax rates here.

hhk
Sep 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
The notion that Rossi is some kind of outsider is hilarious. He's been a Liberal bagman for years.

Smitherman? Well, even his own brother won't vote for him.

What's that leave? I don't know. Maybe Sarah Thomson is a legitimate alternative?

groovetube
Sep 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
... and embarrassing.

Rob Ford a fiscal conservative? I think that's far too early to be determined. I think he's simply a used car salesman using gimmicks to sell his product. His product? Rob Ford obviously.

Sad day for the TDot.

indeed. It's gonna be a rough ride for a while. But it'll only be one term. Toronto will vote for anything with 2 legs after 4 years of ford, mark my words.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
indeed. It's gonna be a rough ride for a while. But it'll only be one term. Toronto will vote for anything with 2 legs after 4 years of ford, mark my words.

They're already voting for anything after eight disastrous years of Miller.

groovetube
Sep 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
They're already voting for anything after eight disastrous years of Miller.

that indeed, appears to be the case.

Though I wouldn't refer to the last 8 years as "disastrous" for Toronto.

What you think was so disastrous?

i-rui
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Why would you choose Etobicoke as an example then? Should I point out that David Miller could not solve the problems of his ward? That line of reasoning makes no sense.

because i live in his ward and have first hand experience that he can't solve the issues in it.

if you lived in Miller's ward and could say the same thing then I'd say that would have been a valid argument against him.

since he was elected to a 2nd term that would suggest that most people thought he did an alright job.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Ballooning budgets (so-called balanced budget depends on getting uncommitted aid from province), declining conditions of roads, mishandled major city construction projects, union toadyism, woeful mismanagement of TTC, ballooning size of overpaid civil service, ill advised drains on scarce cash (artsy bicycle posts, redesign of Nathan Phillips Square, redecoration of office) mishandling of SARS crisis, wasting effort on side-issues (plastic bags), continuing to ship Toronto trash to Michigan at great cost when Ontario cities asked for it, misguided and expensive opposition to Toronto Island Airport, opposition to Guardian Angels, Toronto vehicle tax, double land transfer tax, Toronto employee sick day bank, handing himself a raise in recession, failure of green bin plan, St. Clair streetcars line, Jarvis Street bike lanes, Pan-Am Games spending, etc....

Max
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
I came back from 4 days in Montreal to find that Ford's lead has widened significantly. Can't say as I'm pleased by that. Can't get behind Smitherman either though and the rest of the slate doesn't do it for me. Ford's a blow-hard playing to the 905 crowd. I'm waiting for his reign of error to begin. It's going to be a great moment for Tee-dawt.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:23 AM
because i live in his ward and have first hand experience that he can't solve the issues in it.

if you lived in Miller's ward and could say the same thing then I'd say that would have been a valid argument against him.

since he was elected to a 2nd term that would suggest that most people thought he did an alright job.

Etobicoke is not a fiefdom. The city allocates what is spent on each ward. This argument is a non-starter.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
I came back from 4 days in Montreal to find that Ford's lead has widened significantly.

Are you suggesting that your travel itinerary can affect election outcomes? This sounds like some form of mania!

groovetube
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Ballooning budgets (so-called balanced budget depends on getting uncommitted aid from province), declining conditions of roads, mishandled major city construction projects, union toadyism, woeful mismanagement of TTC, ballooning size of overpaid civil service, ill advised drains on scarce cash (artsy bicycle posts, redesign of Nathan Phillips Square, redecoration of office) mishandling of SARS crisis, wasting effort on side-issues (plastic bags), continuing to ship Toronto trash to Michigan at great cost when Ontario cities asked for it, misguided and expensive opposition to Toronto Island Airport, opposition to Guardian Angels, Toronto vehicle tax, double land transfer tax, Toronto employee sick day bank, handing himself a raise in recession, failure of green bin plan, St. Clair streetcars line, Jarvis Street bike lanes, Pan-Am Games spending, etc....

And there's no list one could daw for Lastman, and certainly nothing will be mishandled by mr ford I'm sure.

Gullible, is an understatement.

I have an idea, let's elect a mouthy liar with the social skills of an 8 year old, to fix this mess.

You couldn't make this up if you tried.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
After that debacle, I'll take a chance on Ford.

And there's no list one could daw for Lastman, and certainly nothing will be mishandled by mr ford I'm sure.

Gullible, is an understatement.

I have an idea, let's elect a mouthy liar with the social skills of an 8 year old, to fix this mess.

You couldn't make this up if you tried.

groovetube
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
After that debacle, I'll take a chance on Ford.

sure. A liar with the social skills of an 8 year old.

What could possibly, go wrong...

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
sure. A liar with the social skills of an 8 year old.

What could possibly, go wrong...

I've already seen what can go wrong with a union toady and his cronies in power. You're just going to have to go along for the ride and see what will go wrong next.

groovetube
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
You're just going to have to go along for the ride and see what will go wrong next.

Prophetic right to the end.

i-rui
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Etobicoke is not a fiefdom. The city allocates what is spent on each ward. This argument is a non-starter.

the argument is valid. if he can't convince city council to spend a relatively small amount of money to fix basic problems in his current ward how could he convince council to spend money and enact his plans for the far more complicated issues of the entire city?

if elected nothing would ever get done in his term. the city will grind to a halt.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Because those problems are dealt with on a city-wide basis and allocated according to reports from Transportation Services.

groovetube
Sep 21st, 2010, 12:06 PM
the argument is valid. if he can't convince city council to spend a relatively small amount of money to fix basic problems in his current ward how could he convince council to spend money and enact his plans for the far more complicated issues of the entire city?

if elected nothing would ever get done in his term. the city will grind to a halt.

no no i-rui. None of ford's plans will cost a dime.

geddit?
:heybaby:

Max
Sep 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Are you suggesting that your travel itinerary can affect election outcomes? This sounds like some form of mania!

Are you suggesting I have some kind of mania? That sounds like some kind of hyberbole!

I take comfort in the notion that there's still time for yet more election weirdness. Hoping like h3ll Ford gets derailed in the nick of time.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hyperbole? You're a cyber-bully!

Mr. Ford will steamroller your candidate of last-resort.

whatiwant
Sep 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Mr. Ford will steamroller your candidate of last-resort.
If he actually did that, I wonder if he would crush the opponent, or if they'd just get lost in a roll for a few seconds and reappear unharmed.
:heybaby:

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM
I was just discussing such physics with my son over lunch regarding truck tires, but I think the comparison is apt. I suspect the level of damage depends on how long he rested while he rolled over then. If he rolled quickly, they would be unharmed, but also un-elected.

Max
Sep 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ford reminds me of the fellow who Goldfinger... but with worse hair.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Ford reminds me of the fellow who Goldfinger... but with worse hair.

I'm thinking Brian Dennehy... but try it out for size:

i-rui
Sep 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/biffeditp1.gif

Max
Sep 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Apt comparison, MF. He's got bits of both individuals going on.

Macfury
Sep 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
Apt comparison, MF. He's got bits of both individuals going on.

I've got to agree--he could be their bastard son!