: Cordless drill advice

chasMac
Sep 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Need an all-purpose cordless drill (deck-building, basement-finishing, household stuff). Would like good quality as I have had a Mastercraft and B&D - both very quickly kicked the bucket. Leaning towards DeWalt, Milwaukee or Makita as I've heard good things about all 3. Thanks.

Macfury
Sep 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
On a manufacturing basis, I've been happiest with my DeWalt and Milwaukee tools.

kps
Sep 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
On a manufacturing basis, I've been happiest with my DeWalt and Milwaukee tools.

+1 on DeWalt and Milwaukee. I'd also add Bosch.

I own several DeWalts and the one that I would recommend is an 18v, with a 1/2" metal ratcheting chuck like this model DCD940KX 18V 1/2" (13mm) Cordless XRP? Drill/Driver Kit | DEWALT Tools (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-drilldrivers-dcd940kx.aspx) The extra money you spend now will safe you both time and money in the long run...not to mention headaches when using a cheap drill vs a good quality pro model.

I prefer the plug in electric hammer drills to cordless, so I'm not recommending those unless you really think that is what you need. If that is the case, then spend the dollars for a 36v model.

Macfury
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I prefer the plug in electric hammer drills to cordless, so I'm not recommending those unless you really think that is what you need. If that is the case, then spend the dollars for a 36v model.

Same here. I'd rather buy the world's longest extension cord than go cordless--not enough torque.

vancouverdave
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM
/agree

I really like my deWalts which have both lasted over 10 years and served me well maintaining fences on the 'range'. However, for doing stuff around the house, corded is better. Saves you waiting around for batteries to 'quickcharge'

Optimize
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The best current cordless drills right now are either the Makita or Rigid.

The Makita has the great power to weight ratio. The heavier duty high torque model is not as readily available at big box building centres. So, if you need the torque, look that one up.

I have been very happy with my Rigid cordless (hammer) drill. It has lots of torque and is reasonably priced.

In either case consider that Lithium Ion batteries are a better choice for those who do not use their tools daily. These batteries will hold their charge better over time and not suffer from memory effects if charged before fully depleted.

Additional thought is whether to consider a drill that has a hammer function. I find it a nice feature to have when it's time to drill anchors into brick or concrete. The trade off is a higher purchase price and heavier tool.

Good luck,

rgray
Sep 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
+1 for Makita. I was given one just after the Great Ice Storm of Ontario in the late '90s. It gets used for everything - drywall screws, deck screws, disk sanding, hole sawing, grinding and- oh yeah! - drilling, etc., et-freaking-cetera. The original battery is giving entirely satisfactory service to this day over 10 years later. Not only that but last time I checked a replacement battery was available. Try THAT with any other brand!!!

jimbotelecom
Sep 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Makita rules this domain.

G-Mo
Sep 18th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'll let you know a little something about DeWalt, it's all Black & Decker.

If you want tough, rugged and reliable, go Rigid.

Jason H
Sep 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I agree. Plus both are on sale at home depot for 20% off this week.
I'll let you know a little something about DeWalt, it's all Black & Decker.

If you want tough, rugged and reliable, go Rigid.

What is your point exactly? Yes B&D owns the dewalt name, but none of the products are the same.

chasMac
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Picked up the Milwaukee 18v lithium-ion drill at Home Depot. As mentioned, on sale. I've tried the Milwaukee before, and having built a deck at night, the powerful little led light above the trigger really helps (a minor consideration, I know). All in all, seems a decent unit. Batteries charge very fast - while you're working, as long as you keep one in the charging unit, you'll never run out of juice.

G-Mo
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM
What is your point exactly? Yes B&D owns the dewalt name, but none of the products are the same.

People like to slam B&D and praise DeWalt (the Holmes effect!), when in reality both brands share technology and in fact have some products that are nearly the same, just priced differently (we broke down a set of grinders from both recently and they are near identical, enough to use parts from on to repair the other). When B&Ds reputation went downhill in the 80s, they bought DeWalt to replace/re-boot their "industrial tools" line, and it's been a great success, to the extent that it's been the topic of many marketing success reports/studies. DeWalt's tools are decent and they have some great, some good and some not so good tools, but nothing is really best in class (their drills were actually ranked lower than a B&D in the last pro ratings I saw, mainly due to their poor battery life). Just don't be "sold" by the brand.

Jason H
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:49 AM
People like to slam B&D and praise DeWalt (the Holmes effect!), when in reality both brands share technology and in fact have some products that are nearly the same, just priced differently (we broke down a set of grinders from both recently and they are near identical, enough to use parts from on to repair the other). When B&Ds reputation went downhill in the 80s, they bought DeWalt to replace/re-boot their "industrial tools" line, and it's been a great success, to the extent that it's been the topic of many marketing success reports/studies. DeWalt's tools are decent and they have some great, some good and some not so good tools, but nothing is really best in class (their drills were actually ranked lower than a B&D in the last pro ratings I saw, mainly due to their poor battery life). Just don't be "sold" by the brand.

:clap: I agree.

But solely talking about cordless drills I've seen few offerings from B&D and they are mostly ripoff kids with a pile of poor quality drill bits and they don't even include a second battery. I have not looked at any of B&D's other powertools lately.

G-Mo
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Just a little due diligence, and some for what it's worth, Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee are all owned by TekTronics International (TTI). TTI also manufactures products for Sears Craftsman and MasterCraft!?

And the top of the list on those last ratings I saw... Panasonic!

kps
Sep 19th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Just a little due diligence, and some for what it's worth, Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee are all owned by TekTronics International (TTI). TTI also manufactures products for Sears Craftsman and MasterCraft!?

And the top of the list on those last ratings I saw... Panasonic!

TTi Group does not own Rigid. Rigid is owned by Emerson (http://www.emerson.com/en-US/productsservices/Pages/default.aspx).

You want high end get a Hilti, but for us average folk the pro line Makitas, DeWalts, Milwaukees are just fine.

Good for you chasMac, enjoy the Milwaukee. I have a 23 year old Sawzall and a drywall gun both of which are still going strong after all those years. Mind you, they don't build them like they used to.;)

ertman
Sep 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Picked up the Milwaukee 18v lithium-ion drill at Home Depot. As mentioned, on sale. I've tried the Milwaukee before, and having built a deck at night, the powerful little led light above the trigger really helps (a minor consideration, I know). All in all, seems a decent unit. Batteries charge very fast - while you're working, as long as you keep one in the charging unit, you'll never run out of juice.

Sounds like a good choice, from all that I have read, the Milwaukee's seem to be good quality.

I personally have no experience with them, as Milwaukees, Makitas, etc are not in my budget. I too would stay far away from Dewalt, not because of the "B&D" ownership. They use to be tops in the industry, but whether it is from the B&D ownership or DeWalt management, but they haven't kept their R&D up and have been passed by many brands, even the much more cheapo ones.

G-Mo
Sep 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
TTi Group does not own Rigid. Rigid is owned by Emerson (http://www.emerson.com/en-US/productsservices/Pages/default.aspx).

Emerson sold their tool division to TTI about 4 years ago.

mrjimmy
Sep 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Makita rules this domain.

I'd agree. My trusty 12 volt is still going strong with the same 3 batteries 12 years later.

I'd also throw a vote in for Porter Cable.

G-Mo
Sep 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I'd also throw a vote in for Porter Cable.

Porter-Cable is owned by Black & Decker as well... Since the acquisition, PC has been reposition to exist between the B&D line and the "high end" DeWalt. Previous to the purchase, I found lots of PC gear to be even better than DeWalt, they have suffered a loss in production quality since. I heard in the spring that the whole PC line may be phased out, with the tech being split between products for B&D and DeWalt, don't know if that's going to happen for sure. We have a number of Porter-Cable compressors and nail guns. Last I looked PC was still using Ni-Cad batteries, which is nice if you are doing work outdoors in the winter as they tend to be more reliable than Li-Ion.

screature
Sep 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
When it comes to who owns what it can make a difference or it might not. It all depends on what parts are being used and the market segment they are marketing to... it is all about branding and marketing. Products branded B&D tend to be targeted to the home/casual user where products branded DeWalt, etc. are marketed more toward the craft person/do it your selfer and then you get the brands that are marketed toward the pro user who is going to be using the tool they buy dayin dayout. (not to say that Dewalt isn't marketed to pros as well but it has become more of a middle market product over time what with the Home Depots, RONAs, etc. pushing it to the DIYers).

So in the end G-Mo is absolutely correct, you need to do your home work and look at your needs and uses vs. just who the product is being marketed to because sometimes the brand being marketed more to the home user can in the end be a product that is just fine for what you need it to do.

kps
Sep 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Emerson sold their tool division to TTI about 4 years ago.

I guess neither company updated their website in 4 years, because both websites indicate the parent/subsidiary relationship.

hayesk
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Same here. I'd rather buy the world's longest extension cord than go cordless--not enough torque.

Most of the time I agree. But cordless drills are lighter, typically better balanced, and can be more easily manipulated when up on a ladder or other tight spots.

Corded drills are front-heavy and ofter require holding two hands.

screature
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Most of the time I agree. But cordless drills are lighter, typically better balanced, and can be more easily manipulated when up on a ladder or other tight spots.

Corded drills are front-heavy and ofter require holding two hands.

If torque is what you need and long run time you can't beat corded drills. If it is convenience and working in places where cords won't safely reach (like a roof) or where you are without power (like building a new cottage, etc.) cordless rules. Each have their applications and why I own both. :)

mrjimmy
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Porter-Cable is owned by Black & Decker as well... Since the acquisition, PC has been reposition to exist between the B&D line and the "high end" DeWalt. Previous to the purchase, I found lots of PC gear to be even better than DeWalt, they have suffered a loss in production quality since. I heard in the spring that the whole PC line may be phased out, with the tech being split between products for B&D and DeWalt, don't know if that's going to happen for sure. We have a number of Porter-Cable compressors and nail guns. Last I looked PC was still using Ni-Cad batteries, which is nice if you are doing work outdoors in the winter as they tend to be more reliable than Li-Ion.

That's too bad. PC was the gold standard in tools. Makita & Milwaukee a close second.

shazbat
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I work in construction, and I would recommend Makita. Better design, build quality and they last. The tool that gets used most in my armoury is a Makita impact driver. Its primary function is driving screws but with the quick change chuck, drilling is a snap. Anything that requires more serious drilling power, the corded drill appears. Hearing protection is a must, and Canadian tire sell this belt hook called a "Bigg Lugg" and your driver is always where you need it.

kps
Sep 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM
That's too bad. PC was the gold standard in tools. Makita & Milwaukee a close second.

B&D has only owned them since 2005, if you hurry, you may still get the quality before B&D cannibalizes the line.;)

My three favourite tools are Porter Cable. Again, over 20+ years old. The 4-1/2" worm drive trim saw I bought in Wyoming at a specialty tool store.

1/worm drive trim saw-2/finish sander-3/ 690-router.

http://www.ikarl.com/pics/ehmac/2010/tools.jpg

lara
Sep 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
For the sake of completeness, who makes Lowe's Kobalt tools? :)

L