: Has anyone ever filed for divorce not using a lawyer?

sheamus
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I figure it is a bout time I finalize this thing, and I came across Divorce Online Canada | uncontested divorce papers for getting divorced in Canada | Ontario | Alberta (http://www.divorceonline.ca). Has anyone ever used them? If not have you used a similar service? Have you done it manually? How much work was that?

We have a separation agreement that was done up by a lawyer. I think that helps.

~S

danalicious
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I was divorced without a lawyer. We purchased one of those kits from Staples (I think) and filled everything out on our own. We filed the papers on our own and just picked up the papers when our divorced was stamped by the judge. The whole process took 6 months, including the wait for a justice to sign off on the divorce.

eMacMan
Sep 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Obviously you have maintained a good relationship with your spouse.

Hopefully when you did the separation agreement you had an objective third party review property/custody agreements to be sure neither side was being taken advantage of.

Certainly it makes a lot more sense to treat each other fairly than to give everything to the liars.:D

Sonal
Sep 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Yep. I think we even used the same site to do the separation agreement and draw up the divorce papers, though when the one year mark came up, I looked more carefully at the papers and the process and realized it wasn't really necessary get them to do it--it's pretty simple to fill it all out yourself.

Really, we didn't even need the separation agreement, but his mortgage company wanted it to ensure that I would not be seeking alimony.

Forms can be downloaded from the internet. The only pain in the butt part is going down to the courthouse to file it. Cost: $447 in filing fees, plus a couple of stamps so I could serve him by mail. (We did a single file instead of joint, since it was easier for me to get to the courthouse than for him.)

They will look over your forms when you file to make sure everything is correct.

I filed in October, and got the decree in the mail in December.

Macfury
Sep 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM
It's done all the time when there is no contentiousness. I've watched people who intend to take this road begin to bicker when they suddenly realize they didn't really plan an equitable split at all, so make sure everyone understands the full terms of the divorce agreement beforehand.

sheamus
Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
For some reason I missed the notification that I had replies for this topic.

Well I guess we are fairly amicable. One issue is that we live 4000km apart. She has been there a year now so we can file in either province.

So it sounds like those of you who did I without lawyers did it yourself and not with the service I mentioned in my original post.

-s