: 5th gen shuffle - thumbs down for podcasts

jonatuna
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Just got it yesterday, and it's pretty and all, but in typical Apple fashion, they want you to do it 'their way'.

I use my 3rd gen shuffle exclusively for podcasts - I simply drag the podcasts over in the order I want to listen to them in, and that's that.

Ordrered a 5th gen thinking it would be nice to get the upgrade and extra storage with the same form factor as my 3rd gen, but on this new one you can't decide the order of podcasts. They get classed by podcast name alphabetically, then by episode. Now I have to use the Voice over button to sort through the list, then once I get to the title I want, to then sort through the episodes. Unless I go in and change the genre of every podcast, itunes won't let me set up a specific play order. Stupid.

And the kicker is the awesome little 3 inch charger cable won't work with my 3rd gen shuffle even though it is the same type of connection (headphone jack style).

Oh well - looks like my wife gets a new shuffle for her running music...

'tuna

mjollymo
Sep 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
It is called a "shuffle" for a reason.

fyrefly
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Can you not sort them by a category on the shuffle via iTunes? Usually the Shuffle will play them in the order you've set up in iTunes (click on the header for a column like "artist" or "album"). At least, I think my 2G shuffle works like that.

jonatuna
Sep 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Can you not sort them by a category on the shuffle via iTunes? Usually the Shuffle will play them in the order you've set up in iTunes (click on the header for a column like "artist" or "album"). At least, I think my 2G shuffle works like that.

Nope. Tried that. If the file is labeled as a podcast it labels it separately. With the old shuffle I could see a list of everything on it, rearrange at will, and they would play in the order I put them in. With the new one, you have three lists: music, podcasts, and audiobooks. Clicking over to the podcasts, and they are grouped by title. The only thing you can do is play oldest first or newest first, but they stay grouped by title.