: Footloose in Vancouver with a camera and an appetite...

KC4
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Later this week, I will be visiting Vancouver for the first time in about 8 years...

I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations from locals (or those familiar with the city) for great places to go with a camera and an adventurous appetite. (or conversely, places to avoid, if known)

So far on my list is Dr. Sun Yat Sen's Classical Garden and of course Chinatown. If I ever get out of Chinatown, I'll probably go to Granville Market as well.

I'm staying downtown near Granville and Robson, but not very interested in shopping, unless it is food related (of course). I also will be mostly on foot or using the trolley or transit to get around.

As far as restaurants are concerned, I'm especially interested in the usually cheaper, less known (except to locals) places that are one of a kind and typically family owned and operated.

Sonal
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Stanley Park. Well, for the camera ops.

MLeh
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
If you're into Sushi, there are lots of little Mom and Pop Sushi places, along Broadway, west of Granville Street (more Kits area). If you go at lunchtime you can usually find an 'all you can eat for $10' special. Take any bus that says it's going towards UBC.

For soups and such, try Burgoo (http://www.burgoo.ca/).

bryanc
Sep 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Annapurna (http://www.annapurnavegetarianbc.com/) is a really nice Indian/vegetarian restaurant quite near to where you are staying. It's pretty small, and get's a lot of customers, so I'd avoid Friday or Saturday nights.

whatiwant
Sep 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM
My two favourite places in Vancouver are:
Shiro Sushi (Cambie & 15th) - Sushi. Amazing sushi. Much less expensive than other places.
Ping's Cafe (Main St. & 11th) - Yoshoku, westernized style Japanese food. Pretty affordable as well.

Damn. Now I'm hungry. :(

danalicious
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM
KC,
You must have a Japadog (at Smithe and Burrard). I think it's right up your alley (check it on urbanspoon). If you get to Kits, check out the Noodle Box on 4th. It's not cheap, but it's sooo good (and casual)!

Commercial Drive also has some really interesting places to eat.

Sonal is right about the photo opps in Stanley Park. There is also Spanish Banks (for great sunsets).

KC4
Sep 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks all - lots of great suggestions.
Now to hope for decent weather....