: Linux help: Mail Evolution + Gmail

Adrian.
Aug 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi

I am trying to get a gmail account to run through Mail Evolution.

I have fiddled tediously with this and I am at the end of my wits.

I am constantly getting a failure to authenticate the STMP; Bad Authentication Response from Server.

I have been following these instructions:

1. Open Evolution, and go to Edit -> Preferences in the menu
2. Delete your current account in the dialog that opens, and then click Add to start configuring a new account from scratch. Click Forward.
3. Enter your full gmail address in the correct form, and click Forward.
4. Make sure that ServerType is set to IMAP, Server to imap.gmail.com and Username to the first part of your gmail address (the text before the '@' ). Then set Use Secure Connection to SSL Encryption and Authentication Type to Password. Press Forward twice.
5. Make sure ServerType is set to SMTP. Then set Server to smtp.gmail.com:465, click the checkbox Server requires authentication, and set Use Secure Connection to SSL Encryption. Under Authentication, set Type to Plain and Username to the first part of your gmail address (the text before the '@' ). Press Forward twice, and then Apply.

I have tried POP and it is no working. I have tried port 465 and 587 on STMP out and 993 on imap in.

Any insights?

kps
Aug 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
My non-scientific wildass guess is that your ISP will not allow you to send through another SMTP server. Reason being spammers will use such open mail relays, etc.

Call your ISP and have it set up so you use their SMTP server with your gmail acct. for outgoing mail and set the "reply to:" setting to gmail.

I had to do this for my own domain email for sending out. Receiving (pulling from POP) was never an issue.

tilt
Aug 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Have you tried everything this site mentions? The site maybe Ubuntu, but the settings work with any distro. I have had this setup like this before and had it working perfectly.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingGmailWithEvolution

Cheers