: Remember when ............

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
The Apollo 11 space flight landed the first humans on Earth's Moon on July 20th, 1969. On July 20, Armstrong and Aldrin landed in the Sea of Tranquility and became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Their landing craft, Eagle, spent 21 hours and 31 minutes on the lunar surface while Collins orbited above in the command ship, Columbia.

I still vividly remember this day and this event.

mguertin
Jul 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I don't remember as I was a very young wippersnapper when it happened ... but at least I was around.

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I don't remember as I was a very young wippersnapper when it happened ... but at least I was around.

Yes, many young children grew up not really know that before today, 41 years ago, no person had ever walked on the moon. Paix, mon ami.

tilt
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Do some of the younger people even know that Buzz Aldrin's real name is actually Edwin Aldrin?

Also, I am going to Google now to find out the name of the third astronaut on the moon mission. It's like the Three Tenors, no one remembers the name of the third man :).

Cheers

SINC
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I remember watching it on live TV in 1969 in Grande Prairie, AB. with my wife of four years and our year old son.

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Do some of the younger people even know that Buzz Aldrin's real name is actually Edwin Aldrin?

Also, I am going to Google now to find out the name of the third astronaut on the moon mission. It's like the Three Tenors, no one remembers the name of the third man :).

Cheers

Yes, Michael Collins became the forgotten astronaut of Apollo 11.

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I remember watching it on live TV in 1969 in Grande Prairie, AB. with my wife of four years and our year old son.

Watched it with my mother in our apartment in New York City.

kps
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Watched it live on TV at the tender age of 12. You couldn't drag me away from that TV set. LOL.

gwillikers
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Back then my grandfather thought it was all a big joke. There was nothing anyone could say to change his mind.

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Watched it live on TV at the tender age of 12. You couldn't drag me away from that TV set. LOL.

When I was 9, which was less than a week after Sputnik 1 was launched, I wanted to go into space. When John Kennedy said "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth", I wanted to be that man, although I was only 12 1/2 years old. Thus, I too was glued to my TV set 41 years ago today. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Back then my grandfather thought it was all a big joke. There was nothing anyone could say to change his mind.

When I taught grade six in Waycross, Georgia back in the early 1970s, many of my students could not believe that the US sent men to the moon.

kps
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
When I was 9, which was less than a week after Sputnik 1 was launched, I wanted to go into space. When John Kennedy said "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth", I wanted to be that man, although I was only 12 1/2 years old. Thus, I too was glued to my TV set 41 years ago today. Paix, mon ami.

I was born the year of the Sputnik. :D

Didn't all of us want to be astronauts or cosmonauts at one time or another?

The Ruskies sure had the west worried when they put Gagarin and Tereshkova up into orbit. LOL

bsenka
Jul 20th, 2010, 10:46 PM
When I taught grade six in Waycross, Georgia back in the early 1970s, many of my students could not believe that the US sent men to the moon.

There are plenty of people today who still think it was a hoax.

Dr.G.
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:28 AM
I was born the year of the Sputnik. :D

Didn't all of us want to be astronauts or cosmonauts at one time or another?

The Ruskies sure had the west worried when they put Gagarin and Tereshkova up into orbit. LOL

I was told that due to my poor vision and the fact that I was fearful of heights, that I should consider a profession other than being an astronaut. :(

screature
Jul 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM

It all happened at Paramount Studios. ;)

hayesk
Jul 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM

Yes but they're morons who continue to ignore all the holes shot through their tenuous theories.

Macfury
Jul 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM

Today, the federal government is committed to keep America out of space, How times have changed.

Hey' what's up with that flag? There's no wind on the moon--this is a cover-up!!!

bsenka
Jul 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Yes but they're morons who continue to ignore all the holes shot through their tenuous theories.

I've actually met some very intelligent, well educated people who steadfastly maintain that only an idiot would believe the evidence being offered in favour of the moon landing. I'm not saying I agree with them, but these are definitely not morons.

Dr.G.
Jul 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Today, the federal government is committed to keep America out of space, How times have changed.

Hey' what's up with that flag? There's no wind on the moon--this is a cover-up!!!

I think that the goal is not to push for live Americans in space, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I have to chuckle every time someone mentions the rippling flag on the moon picture. Of course, the flag was designed to look as if it was rippling in the wind, even though it remained static for all the time it was on the moon. Did they leave the flag there or take it back with them?

Macfury
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
I have to chuckle every time someone mentions the rippling flag on the moon picture. Of course, the flag was designed to look as if it was rippling in the wind, even though it remained static for all the time it was on the moon. Did they leave the flag there or take it back with them?

It's still there. Otherwise, how could the U.S. own it?

monokitty
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was a few decades short of being born when this occurred. ;)

Dr.G.
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
It's still there. Otherwise, how could the U.S. own it?

Hopefully, the flag was made in the USA.

chasMac
Jul 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM

Most likely was - I think the US still made stuff back then.

Dr.G.
Jul 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Most likely was - I think the US still made stuff back then.

Yes, those were the good old days ......................... :love2:

YouTube - Look for the Union Label 1978 ILGWU ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lg4gGk53iY&feature=related)

Macfury
Jul 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
Yes, those were the good old days ......................... :love2:

YouTube - Look for the Union Label 1978 ILGWU ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lg4gGk53iY&feature=related)

Oh, Dr. G! How nostalgic. Those were the days when union members worked!

chasMac
Jul 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Those were the days when union members worked!

I thought that was only an urban myth.

MacDoc
Jul 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM
I remember the step down at the time but don't recall if I saw it live...normally I would be glued to that kind of event live.

tilt
Jul 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM

I heard it on the radio that Sears actually made the flag but refused to take credit for some reason I do not remember.

Cheers

Dr.G.
Jul 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Oh, Dr. G! How nostalgic. Those were the days when union members worked!

Sad, but I was a union member that was worked to the bone. I still have my old union card when I worked for Grand Union, a chain of supermarkets in the New York City area.