: Rogers Netbooks w/ Built in 3G

chrisburke
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
has anyone heard if you can hackintosh the netbooks that Rogers is now offering, and have the 3g data working?

I know the netbooks themselves can be hackintoshed, as there are many videos ont he web of them running OSX.. I was just curious if anyone has heard of the 3g will work? My guess is, it's still to early in the game for anyone to get it to work.. as rogers just started offering them last month.. but I could be wrong..

For me, I have no interest in buying an iPad..if it ran the Mac OS I would be ALL OVER it.. but I'm not interseted in it with iOS 4 or any iPhone OS for that matter.. so, I've been thinking about buying a dell or HP netbook hackintoshing it and using that... then when i noticed that Rogers had HP laptops in their 3g netbook line, I thought that might be a neat idea for me..

Any thoughts?

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/builtininternet?cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Cable_Internet_Eng-_-Q2INT_0510-_-builtininternet

bsenka
Jul 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
When I hacked my HP mini, I got all my info from the forums at MyHPMini.com (http://myhpmini.com/).

There's a fairly extensive OS X section there, so you should be able to determine how the current models stack up.

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:39 AM
When I hacked my HP mini, I got all my info from the forums at MyHPMini.com (http://myhpmini.com/).

There's a fairly extensive OS X section there, so you should be able to determine how the current models stack up.

Yea, but my question is regarding the Rogers version, which has 3G built in.. I know how to do the hack, but I'm wondering if anyone has hackintoshed the Rogers netbooks, and gotten the 3G to work

hayesk
Sep 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Is this question allowed on this board?

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Is this question allowed on this board?

Why wouldn't it be?

fjnmusic
Sep 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I can't relate to the whole hackintosh mentality, personally. just like I can't relate to the Limewire/Napster/Bittorrent/other kinds of piracy mentality. If you can't get a song, for example, on any sort of legitimate site and the CD no longer exists, I can see why you might have to resort to pirating a copy, but you must know you are not helping the artist you so admire in any way, shape or form that helps them pay their bills at the end of the month. If a song exists on iTunes, ten times out of ten I'll pay for it, because I can afford the 99 cents or $1.29 or and I'm not a cheap [email protected]@rd. People who want expensive things for cheap or for free strike me as crass. If you want the Apple experience, ante up and pay the Apple premium. I call it a premium because it's like insurance. In return, you get quality and service and well-priced software. If you can't afford the Apple premium, try the many Windows and Android products that are out there, but stop trying to cheapen the experience for the rest of us.

Rant over.

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:10 AM
You sir are clearly a moron.. You've spoken into something you know NOTHING about. First off, I've been a Mac user for 10 years, and have likely invested more in Apple than you have.

Also I've paid for every one of the 6000 songs in my iTunes, as I am a musician and would hate for people to steal my music (how that relates I don't know)..

The reason I want to know this info is because I want a NetBook.. I hate the iPad and have no desire to get one, as it is NOTHING like a computer'

Next time you speak, make sure you know what you're talking about and where the person you are talking to is coming from.

fjnmusic
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
You sir are clearly a moron.. You've spoken into something you know NOTHING about. First off, I've been a Mac user for 10 years, and have likely invested more in Apple than you have.

Also I've paid for every one of the 6000 songs in my iTunes, as I am a musician and would hate for people to steal my music (how that relates I don't know)..

The reason I want to know this info is because I want a NetBook.. I hate the iPad and have no desire to get one, as it is NOTHING like a computer'

Next time you speak, make sure you know what you're talking about and where the person you are talking to is coming from.

Sorry to offend, but I have also spent and a great deal of money on Apple products, including two iPads for my kids (they each paid half the cost). You are correct in saying an iPad is nothing like a computer. It's better in many respects, and infinitely better than a netbook. Why throw good money after a bad product? Have you tried an iPad yet? For my kids, I'd say they can do about 95% of what they use a computer for on the iPad, including apps built for iOS that aren't available for computer, it's on instantly, and they can e-mail, surf the net, and create documents in iWork easily. For about half the cost of the cheapest MacBook.

I don't think you need to call me or anyone else a moron. I simply said that I can not relate to the hackintosh mentality. I understand why people do it, and I understand why people pirate stuff as well. I just can't relate to it. I use a ThinkPad at work, but mostly just for attendance in my classes, where people come to learn more about moronism.

SINC
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
You sir are clearly a moron.

And you should be banned for a period to learn some manners on a new forum. Post reported. :ptptptptp

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Report away... Should I pat you on the back because of that? All I did was say moron.

If the iPad works for you, great.. It doesn't for me.. And who are you to tell me that it does.. I know my needs, and the iPad (which I've used) doesn't meet them.. Why can't you be ok with that..

bsenka
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I can't relate to the whole hackintosh mentality...

... If you want the Apple experience, ante up and pay the Apple premium.

If Apple actually made a netbook, I'd be first in line to buy one, at whatever price they chose to sell it at. I bought my HP Mini specifically because I wanted a netbook form-factor, not because I wanted to save money.

Until last year, I'd owned nothing but Apple computers since before there ever was a Mac. I've just gotten tired of waiting for Apple to make the devices I want. Since I actually have a choice now, I'm taking it. If Apple wants people to "ante-up", they should start making the products that most people are hacking so that they actually can.

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:34 PM
If Apple actually made a netbook, I'd be first in line to buy one, at whatever price they chose to sell it at. I bought my HP Mini specifically because I wanted a netbook form-factor, not because I wanted to save money.

Until last year, I'd owned nothing but Apple computers since before there ever was a Mac. I've just gotten tired of waiting for Apple to make the devices I want. Since I actually have a choice now, I'm taking it. If Apple wants people to "ante-up", they should start making the products that most people are hacking so that they actually can.

Glad not everyone is a prude, and that someone understands what I'm talking about... I would also be in that lineup if apple would smarten up and offer a netbook..I thought all Mac users understood this stuff.. I guess I was wrong

Btw it has nothing to do with pirating.. I buy all my software, including my OS disks.

fjn why did you even bother posting.. Your post added NO VALUE to this thread.. Other than showing us that you are a sucker who believed apple when they told you an iPad was better than a netbook

bsenka
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I know my needs, and the iPad (which I've used) doesn't meet them.. Why can't you be ok with that..

Agreed. I own both a netbook, and an iPad, and the iPad just doesn't measure up.

SINC
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I've posted many times that an iPad is nothing more than a big iPod Touch and still maintain that. It's a useless device to me.

On the other hand, I don't call people morons.

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I've posted many times that an iPad is nothing more than a big iPod Touch and still maintain that. It's a useless device to me.

On the other hand, I don't call people morons.

Guess you and I are different then..

Forum rent a cops also bug me.. Its not your job to mod, so dont.. Should we talk about that useless fact on my thread too?

fjn is a big boy, if my post hurt him, he is capable of reporting it.

SINC
Sep 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Guess you and I are different then..

Forum rent a cops also bug me.. Its not your job to mod, so dont.. Should we talk about that useless fact on my thread too?

fjn is a big boy, if my post hurt him, he is capable of reporting it.

When you are so new, you have no idea what is accepted behaviour here. Pretty brassy for a newbie.

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm not new here.. I just have a low post count.. Because I only post here when I have questions..

I know how forums work, and I am a moderator for a few, and I know that the real mods HATE when regular members try to act like mods.. Loose the wannabe powerful attitude dude.. You're just a regular Joe around here like me.. You just try to bully because you have a higher post count than i do.. Which probably comes from you being a wannabe mod no doubt

bsenka
Sep 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Chris,

This forum doesn't work the way others do. Some people are unusually sensitive to perceived insults, and the veterans DO police the boards for such things.

This is a good conversation, don't get it shut down by being belligerent to a forum vet.

fjnmusic
Sep 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Report away... Should I pat you on the back because of that? All I did was say moron.

If the iPad works for you, great.. It doesn't for me.. And who are you to tell me that it does.. I know my needs, and the iPad (which I've used) doesn't meet them.. Why can't you be ok with that..

I'm fine with that. But I agree with SINC that you could learn not to name-call. It makes you sound…less than mature. I've been temporarily banned for doing the same before. There are limits to free speech. If you don't mind, do you think you could elaborate a little on why you find the iPad to be less than optimal for your needs? I'm not trying to convince you to get one, but for those that don't like them, I'm curious why. Form factor? Limited memory? Prefer a mouse? I'd get one, but I already have an iMac and a MacBook, and an iPhone, and an iPod Touch, so I only get to try the kids' iPads occasionally. Sometimes I'd prefer to have a mouse, but it's a whole new way of doing things.

And it's working, because they're selling by the millions, without even hurting Mac sales much. It would appear the would-be netbook-buyers are gobbling them up.

chrisburke
Sep 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I hate the price for starters.. Then in order to make it do the things i want, I have to spend more money for an adapter to make it do what I want.. I hate the keyboard, and again, if I want a real one, extra money.. And i hate the OS.. it's great for my iPhone 4.. But not as a day to day computer OS.

hayesk
Sep 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Why wouldn't it be?

Because installing MacOS X on a Netbook is piracy. And questions on how to commit piracy are against this board's rules.

It doesn't matter how much you have invested in Apple, how many Macs you own or have owned, Apple does not license MacOS for use on Networks and if you do it, you are pirating MacOS X. The fact that Apple doesn't sell a Netbook and you want them to is irrelevant.

It's that simple.

I really don't care if you do it or not. I'm not on a crusade to end piracy, I merely questioned if it's allowed on this board.

hayesk
Sep 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Once you resort to personal insults, you are basically saying you can not debate the actual points of the argument. Please grow up. Lots of us here have been Mac users for 10 years or longer, but what does that have to do with the topic.

You could have just said "actually, my reasons is not out of affordability but because I like the form factor." That would have been a mature response and helpful.

But yet you have no problem stealing software? It costs Apple more than $129 per copy to develop MacOS X. But they charge with the condition that it's installed on a computer that they have sold - hardware profits are subsidizing development.

I'm not telling you to do it or not, I'm just pointing out the fact that just because Apple doesn't make the model you want doesn't rationalize pirating it.

chrisburke
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Once again..as I already mentioned.. I did not steal the software, I purchased a legit family version of it, which has 5 licenses, and I've used 2 of them.. So how did I steal the software?

All that aside, I can pretty much guarantee that 85% of this forum has either pirated software or ripped songs.. But come down on me, because I called someone a moron.. Someone who wasn't making sense in his reply..

SINC
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
But come down on me, because I called someone a moron.. Someone who wasn't making sense in his reply..

Hmm, takes a long time for you to realize that calling anyone a moron here is not accepted by members, even if it appears to you to be accepted by mods by their lack of reaction.

chrisburke
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hmm, takes a long time for you to realize that calling anyone a moron here is not accepted by members, even if it appears to you to be accepted by mods by their inaction.

There was action.. The blocked me for a few days.. Doesn't mean I was wrong..

SINC
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice, but good on them for getting your attention. That stated, the issue is over. Can we start over now? :)

chrisburke
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice, but good on them for getting your attention. That stated, the issue is over. Can we start over now? :)

I wasn't trying to start anything.. I merely asked a legit question, and then was accused of being a thief.. Which I didn't appreciate..

bsenka
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Because installing MacOS X on a Netbook is piracy.

No it isn't.

PhotoJim
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
No it isn't.

It's a breach of the license agreement. My multi-computer Snow Leopard pack allows me to "upgrade" my existing Mac OS installs. That implies that I must own an existing license on a machine to perform the upgrade.

Ethically, I don't think putting Snow Leopard from a multi-system package is a problem, but it's unquestionably against the license agreement which makes it a breach of contract.

Jim

hayesk
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Once again..as I already mentioned.. I did not steal the software, I purchased a legit family version of it, which has 5 licenses, and I've used 2 of them.. So how did I steal the software?

Each license is a license to install on an Apple-branded computer. Apple does not license MacOS to non-Apple computers. A netbook is not an Apple-branded computer. Installing software on a machine for which you do not have a license for is piracy.

All that aside, I can pretty much guarantee that 85% of this forum has either pirated software or ripped songs.. But come down on me, because I called someone a moron.. Someone who wasn't making sense in his reply..

First of all, I didn't come down on you. I merely asked if it was against forum rules to discuss piracy.

Then, you resorted to personal insults of someone who made an assumption about your reasons for the piracy, which we advised was immature and unwarranted. You could have replied in a much more mature and useful manner.

You also stated a hypocrisy (you would never pirate music, but then ask how to pirate software), which I called you out on.

I'm sorry that you feel it was "coming down on you" but don't you think you invited these responses?

bsenka
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Installing software on a machine for which you do not have a license for is piracy.

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.

fjnmusic
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:00 AM
There was action.. The blocked me for a few days.. Doesn't mean I was wrong..

Yeah, actually that's exactly what it means. The manly thing to do at this point is apologize and move on. And maybe refrain from making statements that could be perceived as moro……uh……immature.

hayesk
Oct 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.

No, it's the definition of the word piracy that makes it true.

piracy |ˈpīrəsē|
noun
the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.
• a similar practice in other contexts, esp. hijacking : air piracy.
• the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work : software piracy.
ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: via medieval Latin from Greek pirateia, from peiratēs (see pirate ).

Installing MacOS X on a netbook is not authorized by Apple, ergo it's piracy.

fjnmusic
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Pirates are hot.