: Russian math genius rejects $1 million dollar prize

MACenstein'sMonster
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Read the story below:

Russian Math Genius Rejects $1 Million Prize (http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6208384-russian-math-genius-rejects-1-million-prize)

Now there's a dude without ego issues.

rgray
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I don't get any ego issue??? :confused:

The guy was honourable enough to point out than giving the award to him alone was unfair and also to point out the contribution of others to solving Poincare's conjecture, particularly Hamilton.

Such respect for the contributions of others is sadly rather rare.

Sonal
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I knew I had heard this story before.

https://www.ehmac.ca/everything-else-eh/85289-scientist-refuses-accept-multi-million-dollar-prize.html

SINC
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I knew it was a repeat thread too, but I could not find it. Thanks for that Sonal, for a minute there I thought oldtimers disease has set in.

Sonal
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I knew it was a repeat thread too, but I could not find it. Thanks for that Sonal, for a minute there I thought oldtimers disease has set in.

See, I knew it couldn't be oldtimer's disease for me....

MACenstein'sMonster
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Not exactly old news/thread.

Up until the past few days it was reported that he was still considering the $1 million dollar prize (as I heard CBC news report just the other night).

The main reason for his decision to reject the award was its “unfairness”.“I think my contribution in solving the problem of the Poincare conjecture was not greater than the one of the American mathematician Richard Hamilton.”

MACenstein'sMonster
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I don't get any ego issue??? :confused:

The guy was honourable enough to point out than giving the award to him alone was unfair and also to point out the contribution of others to solving Poincare's conjecture, particularly Hamilton.

Such respect for the contributions of others is sadly rather rare.

Now there's a dude without ego issues. :)

SINC
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Not exactly old news/thread.

Of course not, it's only been on the net since March 19. ;)

Macfury
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead...