: Does anyone else think people take the World Cup too seriously?

monokitty
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
This article: World Cup losers face swift retribution - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/832054--world-cup-losers-face-swift-retribution?bn=1) is so ridiculous that I just don't know what to say.

On June 26, a tiny but angry crowd mocked and vilified the Italian side as the players and coaches shuffled through Fiumicino airport with their luggage. And then, even before they were all through, the crowd just turned away.

“There is a lot of bitterness,” said Italian forward Fabio Quagliarella. “It’s understandable.”

It's a game, folks. No need to raise blood pressure levels. The one thing I loath about sports in general is that although a few competitive attitudes isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's when people get unreasonably angry over a game that makes me roll my eyes.

Life is too short...

krs
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
It's a game, folks. No need to raise blood pressure levels.

Happens in Canada BIG time when it comes to hockey - even when little kids play.

ehMax
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM
There are those who think football is a matter of life and death. This view greatly disappoints me. I can assure you.. it's much more important than that. :)

Dr.G.
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
There are those who think football is a matter of life and death. This view greatly disappoints me. I can assure you.. it's much more important than that. :)

I totally agree, Mr. Mayor.

SINC
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Appears to me some sports are an obsession or obsessive compulsion for some, and that is never a good thing. ;)

Like Lars said, it IS only a game. Footie, hockey, whatever.

Sonal
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yes, but then, I don't get the appeal of watching sports...

Max
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Different nations get impassioned over different sports. Different nations define passion differently too. It's a big world.

hayesk
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I get the appeal of watching sports (though I don't watch much myself) but I completely agree that too many people take sports way too seriously - especially when it doesn't affect their lives at all.

Watch the game, cheer, boo, whatever, then move on. There's always going to be another game the next day, week, season, etc.

kps
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I can't forget the words of an Italian fan here in Toronto's "Little Italy" being interviewed on the radio immediately after elimination : "They (the team) will be met (at the airport) with tomatoes, they'll be better off to take a vacation in Mexico....and then sneak back into the country." :lmao:

MACenstein'sMonster
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Lots of stuff is taken too seriously.

I've been watching the soccer and sometimes my kids ask who I'm cheering for. I always tell them that it doesn't matter to me who wins as long as the game is entertaining. I would've liked to see Ghana get to the final 4 but that was less cheering for them and more hoping that Africa would have representation. Nothing too serious though. ;)

ScanMan
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, but then, I don't get the appeal of watching sports...

Professional sports, yes. A total waste of time. I can sit in the park and enjoy 15 minutes of a Little League game, though. But that's more of a nostalgic thing, I guess.

Snapple Quaffer
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Does anyone else think people take the World Cup too seriously?

Paul, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10521867.stm) in Oberhausen, does.

MACenstein'sMonster
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Professional sports, yes. A total waste of time. I can sit in the park and enjoy 15 minutes of a Little League game, though. But that's more of a nostalgic thing, I guess.

Well, it's not as useful as posting on an internet forum. :D

nick24
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM

You forgot to quote Bill Shankly, legendary Liverpool FC manager.
Bill Shankly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Shankly)

Dr.G.
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I was chatting with a prof at Memorial University today who was born and raised in West Germany just after WWII. He said, I thought jokingly, that Germany should declare war on Spain if they are blown away in today's match. He was semi-serious. :eek:

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Happens in Canada BIG time when it comes to hockey - even when little kids play.

I haven never heard of people being threatened with death and murdered over hockey. I find many Europeans take soccer WAY to seriously.

Perhaps thats one of the reasons I hate soccer and can't wait for it to be over.

Good thing this isn't ouiMac or siMac or I'd have to run for my life! beejacon

i-rui
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I haven never heard of people being threatened with death and murdered over hockey.

CTV Ottawa- Hockey dad gets 6 to 10 years in death of coach - CTV News (http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20020125/ctvnews840752?hub=OttawaHome)

titans88
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
How are we all determining the limits for 'seriousness' here? What would constitute going 'too far' and what would be an acceptable level of 'seriousness' for a soccer fan?

I guess I just find this a bit laughable. We all have things in life which we enjoy, and care greatly about. Some of you will balk at this, but what makes our love of apple computers more legitimate than an Italian's love for soccer?? Think about all of the hours we spend everyday on this forum! It seems as though some of us here post from the minute we wake up until the moment we sleep!

We all have things in life which consume a great amount of our time, interest and concern. If people want to take a month off work to watch soccer, than so be it. They are allowed to care about things that some of us may not understand.

Thundaboom
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:59 AM
To be perfectly honest here folks, I think this whole World cup game is just another reason for my british friend to break his stuff :(

Snapple Quaffer
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Once again, Paul (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7878270/Paul-the-psychic-octopus-correctly-predicts-Germany-defeat.html) comes up trumps!

monokitty
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Related: Out-of-control amateur coaches mentally abuse players - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/sports/gthl/article/833529--out-of-control-amateur-coaches-mentally-abuse-players?bn=1).

Specifically: Amateur sport coaches routinely commit psychological abuses against young athletes that trigger a “toxic tornado” with long-lasting effects on their development, say researchers.

Get real. Is this really necessary? No...

I think this example defines when people take sports too seriously.