: Weird 'Network' Drive in SL Boot Manager?

Q-Kid-Kowalsky
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Okay, my dad's Intel 2008/2009 model iMac running Snow Leopard is having some weird problems. The boot manager, when you restart while holding the Option key, which gives a display of available boot drives, has recently been changed - there is, in addition to his original iMac Snow Leopard partition and his Windows XP partition, a strange, blinking driver with a globe/world/earth above it. We think it is a network drive.

I have a computer, a mac PPC, on the same network, but all of my sharing prefs are off on my Leopard PPC. We have a network printer that uses AppleTalk, so I use my computer and share the printer thru my computer to his. But, in an effort to find out how to remove the network drive, I turned off all my sharing.

In addition to the network drive, Windows seems very unstable now. It crashes all the time. And the boot manager in SL takes a good 2-3 minutes before it boots the chosen drive. Any help?

Chealion
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
The globe that appears below the Apple symbol instead of the standard spinning indicator means that the Startup Disk has been set to Network Startup. Go to the Startup Disk Preference Pane and set it properly and you won't have this delay.

if it's a flashing Globe then it's just trying to contact the NetBoot server and since it doesn't exist you're stuck waiting for it to time out. (For more info: Intel-based Mac: Startup sequence and error codes, symbols (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2674))

Q-Kid-Kowalsky
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
No, what I'm talking about is: you shut down your mac. press the power button while holding the option key. you see a list of bootable partitions to boot from. iMac HD, Boot Camp, but theres one that was never there before. It looks like the icon for a hard drive, internal, but with a globe on it. This also blinks, as in it fades in and out, from being a solid image to not there.We think this drive is related to the slow reaction in the boot manager(takes 2-3 minutes to start booting after you hit the enter/return key) and we think they are both related to windows suddenly being very unstable.

On a side note, he did get a flashing globe on startup one time, and it was a large globe in the center, where the apple logo should be.

SINC
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I don't have a solution, but a suggestion; why not take a photo of the screen to better enable someone to see just what a "globe" is? Someone might recognize it and have the solution.

Q-Kid-Kowalsky
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
will do. won't be till later today though.