: Cleaning wine from G4 iBook keyboard

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I had the fun of cleaning spilled wine out of the keyboard of a G4 iBook. I removed the keys and carefully cleaned it out. Nothing got through to the board below.

All but a few of the keys are working now. I checked with a USB keyboard to see if the problems were keyboard related and they were.

I've seen online documents talking about keyboard keys "shorting out" but that seems unreasonable given that the wires are embedded in that rubber material. What would be the nature of permanent damage to one of these keyboards?

FeXL
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Don't know, but have you tired putting a few inches of soapy water in the bathtub and immersing it in that?

krs
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to just replace the keyboard rather than spending more time trying to clean it?

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Don't know, but have you tired putting a few inches of soapy water in the bathtub and immersing it in that?

I was thinking of trying that trick after I let it sit for a day. Some people cringe over that idea, but if the keys aren't working, what do I have to lose?

pm-r
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I was thinking of trying that trick after I let it sit for a day. Some people cringe over that idea, but if the keys aren't working, what do I have to lose?

As you say... if it's already broke... and maybe, just maybe to recover!!!

I had a client who spilled a glass of plain tap water on her keyboard the day before she was leaving for an extended trip.

We dosed it with distilled water to rinse it thoroughly even though the water is quite soft in our area and left it to dry.

Six months later on her return it still didn't work. Go figure.

And then there are those that have recovered a non-working keyboard by putting it though a dishwasher machine cycle. Again, go figure.

GlassOnion
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
There are many plastic layer sheets inside the keyboard with conductive traces on them. The liquid can corrode or dissolve the traces and this would damage electrical circuits between the keys and the computer. Sometimes the traces can be restored but you'd need conductive stuff to retrace the lines so buying a used $15 replacement keyboard from ebay would be a better move IMHO.