: Next up: Seoul Korea

hhk
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Nov 11-12. Yet another G20 meeting in Seoul, Korea. Why do they need these things every 6 months? Can't they pick up the phone?

As for demonstrations, the South Koreans are going to show us how to stage a proper one. Korean students eat tear gas for breakfast.

gwillikers
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM
well well

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
The frequency of such meets is a little disconcerting... how much actually gets accomplished, beyond an awful lot of chatter and dining behind closed doors, and sterilized, carefully stage-managed media events?

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The frequency of such meets is a little disconcerting... how much actually gets accomplished, beyond an awful lot of chatter and dining behind closed doors, and sterilized, carefully stage-managed media events?

Most of the G20 was preaching fiscal restraint, and Obama was preaching more "stimmilus" spending. They all went away saying they had reached a broad agreement. All that occurred was the realization that the sole big player wasn't playing ball..

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM
That, and Canadian taxpayers are on the hook for a billion dollars.

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Stimmilus spending.

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
But hey, I didn't feel a thing! Just a nasty pinch.

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ohhh, such a pinch!

QRTu6kG6uIU

hhk
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM

And it ain't over. We're going to have an inquiry, of course. Then, the RCMP, OPP and every municipal force in Canada is going to want to ramp up their anti-riot budget. I'd like to be in the riot shield business.

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'd like to be in the riot shield business.

I have a prototype here, if you're interested:

http://www.batcomputer.com/images/batshield.jpg

dona83
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hasn't anyone heard of teleconferencing? Buy everyone 20 high definition screens, high definition web cams, a broadband connection capable of streaming twenty 1080p streams, and man the one time purchase would be way less than one G20 summit and even if the cost of the dedicated broadband service was a few hundred a month, that'd still be less then having to fly and board these people, let alone the exorbitant security costs.

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
People, world leaders included, still put a premium on getting face time in meatspace. It's that simple. Perhaps the next generation will move past that; I've a hunch they won't, however.

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
People, world leaders included, still put a premium on getting face time in meatspace. It's that simple. Perhaps the next generation will move past that; I've a hunch they won't, however.

They look like idiots eating dinner behind their little flags.

jfpoole
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Having sat through many "virtual" meetings I find that "meatspace" meetings are far more efficient and productive.

Sonal
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
They look like idiots eating dinner behind their little flags.

Not to mention sitting around in their jammies during the meetings.

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Virtual meetings are great for getting virtual things accomplished.

dona83
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Maybe build a permanent site instead?

Sonal
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm just imagining this summit on Facebook, with world leaders friending and unfriending each other, voting is conducted by the number of people liking a page, comments on everyone's wall....

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Problem is, who would host it? Assuming it was even a good idea to go forward with it.

Vandave
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Maybe build a permanent site instead?

Toronto?

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
VanDave: Van! You know you want it...

Sonal
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Toronto?

How about Vancouver? You have all that stuff from the Olympics that we can reuse.

Max
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Sonal... I think the other cities just don't feel worthy compared to us... is that your understanding too?

LOL

dona83
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I say Edmonton gets it if it's built in Canada... or better yet somewhere way up north. Waaaaay up north.

I was thinking Geneva, or maybe Prague.

Macfury
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I think they should meet with Santa at the North Pole.

K_OS
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
why not build the permanent site in Antarctica they will have all the suited helpers they can get there hands on.

Laterz :)

kps
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I say Edmonton gets it if it's built in Canada... or better yet somewhere way up north. Waaaaay up north.

I was thinking Geneva, or maybe Prague.

Why would you wish that on the Swiss, the Czechs or the poor caribou?

If they want security and meatspace...put them all in a frigg'n submarine.