: cell phone ban

ACSA10.6
Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Anyone else think the new cell phone ban that doesn't let you use your cell phones in the car is a joke??

monokitty
Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
I saw a lady today who didn't move after the light turned green because she was looking down texting or emailing to her heart's desire.

So no, it isn't a joke, and drivers who are distracted like the lady I observed should be ticketed; in fact, I think the current $155 fine should start to include demerit points to further discourage use.

Contrary to popular belief, the cellphone ban isn't a ban on talking - it's a ban on hands-held devices; people can argue that talking even with a hands-free device isn't any safer. Even if true, the ban further extends to restrict texting and emailing as well, neither of which has anything to do with verbal communication, and are actually MORE dangerous than talking while behind the wheel because not only are you distracted, but you aren't even looking at the road - something you can still do while talking.

I've also seen drivers fail to maintain a lane, drive under the speed limit, and abuse highway lane rules all in the name of looking at their device while driving.

Drivers - now facing an enforced hands-free law - are just now making a bigger attempt to hide their devices, normally in vain - you can't hide your moronic driving, even if you can keep your device below the window line.

CubaMark
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Joke in what sense? That won't be sufficiently enforced, or that the law exists?

Going down the Trans Canada yesterday, I came across an idiot yakking on his cell phone... ALL OVER the friggin' road. Total tool.

http://local4traffic.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/driving-on-cell-phone-and-eating.jpg?w=220&h=321

I've also had the pleasure of having two taxi experiences where I live in Mexico... dumb-a** young drivers texting while driving.... always fun to have your life in the hands of people like that. Streets in Zac are little more than alleyways... and they're still two-way, with lots of pedestrians. One lady came THISCLOSE to joining the bugs on the windshield...

Mental midgets who can't walk and chew gum at the same time shouldn't be allowed to drive, let alone own a cell phone.

M

fjnmusic
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I rely on my cell phone when driving as I commute two hours each day. That being said, I also have a thingy attached to my window where I can put my iPhone so I can drive hands free. I believe your peripheral vision and peripheral stereo hearing are also vital to being a safe driver, so I can see why a hand-held cell in particular is a danger. There are plenty of other distractions when you're driving, though, including brightly illuminated billboards and DVD screens built into the vehicle. Not quite sure how they got away with that one.

Because I drive on the highway, I use the headphone jack on my iPhone to hook into the car stereo and then hold my iPhone like you might hold a CB radio. The other person's voice comes out the car stereo speakers. Not totally handsfree, but at least I maintain my peripheral vision and hearing.

Also, I am very happy with the new multitasking in iOS 4 so that now I can listen to internet radio at the same time as, say, checking Maps. :clap:

Max
Jun 24th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Drivers - now facing an enforced hands-free law - are just now making a bigger attempt to hide their devices, normally in vain - you can't hide your moronic driving, even if you can keep your device below the window line.

Too true. Well said.

imactheknife
Jun 24th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I followed a lady down airport road a month back as I headed into Toronto and she was talking on the phone, running her hand through her hair with the other so yes no hands on the wheel and she was all over the place. I was so tempted to call the police because she talked the whole way from Collingwood to Brampton...Idiot

Cell phones should be banned in the car and also in the shopping malls. I ran into three differnt people in Calgary because the person in front of me had to stop on a dime to TEXT their buddy...what's life coming too? every second of the day you have to tweet, facebook, text and yak....good grief..

chas_m
Jun 24th, 2010, 08:12 AM
As noted above, my understanding of the law doesn't ban cell phone use at all -- just restricts it to hands-free and talking only.

Again as noted above, this seems entirely fair and reasonable if my understanding is correct. Driving while trying to manipulate a cell phone in your hands is more than most people can handle without it affecting their driving. As for texting, if it were up to me there would be SEVERE fines for texting/emailing while driving. It's IMPOSSIBLE to do both safely.

dona83
Jun 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
You can get bluetooth headsets for as little as $20, Bluetooth visor mount speakerphones for $80, and Bluetooth equipped car decks for under $200. Heck Bluetooth is standard in some cars like the Mazda 5 GT (or GS with convenience package) and Nissan Versa SL for example. Heck Ford SYNC available on I think all of their cars will read your text messages out to you.

The iPhone 3GS' voice control is absolutely top notch.

If Bluetooth is not for you, wired headsets can be found for under $5.

SINC
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Heck Ford SYNC available on I think all of their cars will read your text messages out to you.

No kiddin'? They really should invent something so you don't have to have a machine read out your text messages. Hmmmm, lets's see . . . they could call it voice mail on a phone! beejacon

Macfury
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
What I find preposterous is that you would need a cell phone law to ding a driver who is sitting stalled in traffic while texting. Why not just fine her for holding up traffic?

dona83
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I don't have voice mail on my phone. Ha ha ha.

SINC
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM
You do have voice mail available on your phone, you just choose not to use it. ;)

Kosh
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
What I find preposterous is that you would need a cell phone law to ding a driver who is sitting stalled in traffic while texting. Why not just fine her for holding up traffic?

Actually, the police could fine/charge her for holding up traffic. Just as they could fine/charge people for driving eractically due to a cellphone, before this law. They don't need the new law for that.

I imagine the new law goes beyond that, though. I think the ban is is more of prevention idea. If you have a ban, it will prevent accidents, where the police are not around to catch them.

monokitty
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Actually, the police could fine/charge her for holding up traffic. Just as they could fine/charge people for driving eractically due to a cellphone, before this law. They don't need the new law for that.

I imagine the new law goes beyond that, though. I think the ban is is more of prevention idea. If you have a ban, it will prevent accidents, where the police are not around to catch them.

+1; exactly.

Of course, some people will still offend regardless, but that isn't really the point - people still commit murder and that's been outlawed for centuries. There will always be people who will break any law ever enacted.

FeXL
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Dingdingding!

We have a winnah!!!

Much like many traffic laws on the books (which also PMO, but I won't get into now), this law is nothing more than political lip-service to quiet the masses and make it appear that they are addressing an issue.

There are enough extant broad-based laws with which to address most cell phone infractions. The first that comes to mind is Driving with undue care and attention. Drop a few of those around town at 6 demerit points and hundreds of dollars per ticket.

Have been in BC 3 times in the last 5 weeks. Everyone I spoke to about the law said the same: cell phones were being put on speaker and held on the console or the seat.

Is this reaction a surprise to anyone?

dona83
Jun 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM
You do have voice mail available on your phone, you just choose not to use it. ;)

I mean I don't subscribe to Voicemail at all! I know I'm missing out on the iPhone's Visual Voicemail but it's just more trouble than it's worth.

hayesk
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I rely on my cell phone when driving as I commute two hours each day. That being said, I also have a thingy attached to my window where I can put my iPhone so I can drive hands free.

Hands-free is also dangerous. It takes more brain-power to talk on a phone (even hands free) to someone than someone in the car with you. This is due to a number of factors ranging from your brain deciphering the poor audio fidelity, the person on the other end won't pause the conversation when you have to perform an emergency driving maneuver, and the social convention that you need to immediately respond to someone on the phone compared to sitting beside you.

Is it as dangerous as texting? Probably not. As dangerous as holding the phone while talking to someone, probably.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
No kiddin'? They really should invent something so you don't have to have a machine read out your text messages. Hmmmm, lets's see . . . they could call it voice mail on a phone! beejacon

Oh Sinc you curmudgeon...:D

How is voicemail going to make it so you don't have to read your text messages? ;)You need to get off that 1980s brick cell phone of yours. Texting is the next best thing since sliced bread. No need to take time to call to send a quick message, can reply when free. Can message multiple people at once in second.

SINC
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Oh Sinc you curmudgeon...:D

How is voicemail going to make it so you don't have to read your text messages? ;)You need to get off that 1980s brick cell phone of yours. Texting is the next best thing since sliced bread. No need to take time to call to send a quick message, can reply when free. Can message multiple people at once in second.

Leaving a simple voice mail is quicker and easier than typing and eliminates any hazard while driving.

Texting is time consuming and of no practical use to me. Of course, I don't make hundreds of phone calls a day like those who send that many texts, mostly just because they can. I bet 90% of text messages are not even necessary. It's little more than an addiction. ;)

And for the record, I use an iPhone 3GS. :)

Vexel
Jun 24th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Text:

me: Sup?
you: Sup?
me: Beer?
you: Sure! Mmmm
me: Dooly's at 7?
you: See ya there!

Phone:

Me: Hey, how's she goin?
You: Hey Dude! What's up, haven't heard from you in forever!
Me: Yeah, I know.. been a wild time.. how are the wife and kids?
You: Oh, they're fine.. Billy just got first place in the spelling bee... anyway! what are you up to these days?
Me: Oh, not so much.. trying to avoid the phone as much as possible cause it's annoying as hell. Sure am glad there's a ban now!
You: Oh, for sure.. but I don't really think it's going to do anything.. I still see people driving around everywhere with phones while driving...
Me: Yeah, I hear ya.. I just wanna slash their tires when I see them parked somewhere!!!
You: Indeed..
Me: Hey.. Ya wanna grab a beer somewhere?
You: Sure, where were you thinking? I heard that new place downtown is nice?
Me: Naw.. too expensive, been there, done that.. nothing flashy.. I was just thinking of shooting some pool at Dooly's?
You: Hey, I haven't shot pool in forever.. remember the last time we played? You ripped the cloth on the table you were so hammered?
Me: No, I was hammered. :o
You: Oh Yeah! That's right..
Me: So, what do you think about 7?
You: Sounds good to me man.. It's great to hear from ya.. got lots to catch up on!
Me: For sure... okay.. I'm going now. See ya there!
You: K dude.. see ya then!
Me: k, bye!
You: Later!

Click.

Difference. :)

SINC
Jun 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Text:

me: Sup?
you: Sup?
me: Beer?
you: Sure! Mmmm
me: Dooly's at 7?
you: See ya there!

Phone:

Me: Hey, how's she goin?
You: Hey Dude! What's up, haven't heard from you in forever!
Me: Yeah, I know.. been a wild time.. how are the wife and kids?
You: Oh, they're fine.. Billy just got first place in the spelling bee... anyway! what are you up to these days?
Me: Oh, not so much.. trying to avoid the phone as much as possible cause it's annoying as hell. Sure am glad there's a ban now!
You: Oh, for sure.. but I don't really think it's going to do anything.. I still see people driving around everywhere with phones while driving...
Me: Yeah, I hear ya.. I just wanna slash their tires when I see them parked somewhere!!!
You: Indeed..
Me: Hey.. Ya wanna grab a beer somewhere?
You: Sure, where were you thinking? I heard that new place downtown is nice?
Me: Naw.. too expensive, been there, done that.. nothing flashy.. I was just thinking of shooting some pool at Dooly's?
You: Hey, I haven't shot pool in forever.. remember the last time we played? You ripped the cloth on the table you were so hammered?
Me: No, I was hammered. :o
You: Oh Yeah! That's right..
Me: So, what do you think about 7?
You: Sounds good to me man.. It's great to hear from ya.. got lots to catch up on!
Me: For sure... okay.. I'm going now. See ya there!
You: K dude.. see ya then!
Me: k, bye!
You: Later!

Click.

Difference. :)

Me on phone:

Me: Hi! Wanna grab a cold one at The Local?
He: Sure, when?
Me: Half hour OK?
He: See you there.

See the real difference? ;)

Rps
Jun 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I equate this to the introduction of seat belt laws. I had a neighbour who was against it, under the guise of personal freedom. He never had his kids belted in the car. He would state that the law was an infringement, and the next thing you know the government would regulate when he could have sex with his wife [ I cleaned up the language, you could imagine the words he used ]. But the reality is we think nothing today of wearing our seat belts and, for the most part, think people are fools who don't wear them. Still, I see the occasional driver pulled over for not wearing them. It will just be a matter of time when we will see this law in the same light.

Vexel
Jun 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Me on phone:

Me: Hi! Wanna grab a cold one at The Local?
He: Sure, when?
Me: Half hour OK?
He: See you there.

See the real difference? ;)

haha.. but, I'm a Cape Bretoner! ;) :lmao:

SINC
Jun 25th, 2010, 12:15 PM
haha.. but, I'm a Cape Bretoner! ;) :lmao:

And a fine CB you are too! I had many CBers work for me over the years. Fantastic people who work and play hard too. ;)

Long live Radio Vexel!

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jun 27th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'll agree a VM is way safer then texting while driving. Texting however, is a thing of beauty.

maxipad
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I thought this was a stupid law because simply holding a phone and driving can be done in a responsible manner and we already have adequate laws for careless driving. If a cop felt someone was driving unsafe they can charge them with careless. There is no proof that the person on the phone can't keep control of things. If you think about it you can already drive legally with one hand and have a conversation with 7 passengers at the same time in your van, while eating a sandwhich. What does this law do for safety ? Very little in my mind, just another cash grab.

There has been some criticism of this law in the US. In some states where they had the law for years the stats have shown it hasn't improved safety one bit. Source CNN

SINC
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I thought this was a stupid law because simply holding a phone and driving can be done in a responsible manner and we already have adequate laws for careless driving. If a cop felt someone was driving unsafe they can charge them with careless. There is no proof that the person on the phone can't keep control of things. If you think about it you can already drive legally with one hand and have a conversation with 7 passengers at the same time in your van, while eating a sandwhich. What does this law do for safety ? Very little in my mind, just another cash grab.

There has been some criticism of this law in the US. In some states where they had the law for years the stats have shown it hasn't improved safety one bit. Source CNN

Yeah, right you are. Cell phone use is worse than being impaired:

Mobile phones and driving safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety)