: Anyone else in Toronto just feel that earthquake?

jakey
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Whoa... haven't felt one of those in ages!

Loafer
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Anyone else ?

My buddy up at Eglinton felt it too

monokitty
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Far Queen St. East, Beaches - our building also shook.

Paddy
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Yes - and there are a number of Twitter posts about it! Stuff in the dining room started rattling and then I could feel the whole house shaking and realized what was happening.
:eek:

Seems to have been fairly widespread - people downtown felt it - I'm at Eglinton and Laird.

Well, that was interesting...

Edit: friend in Richmond Hill just replied that he felt it too.

OK - even more widespread - someone on Twitter reports feeling it in Lansing MI. Also reports from Ottawa, NYC, Waterloo, Ohio...

Loafer
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
yep, Earthquake, confirmed on the radio

jakey
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Don Mills and Lawrence.

Ottawaman
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Good shake here

Loafer
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
damn, i was up walking around on the phone and didn't feel a thing... my co-worker was just shouting and i saw her desk shaking

Awesome!

 Dumpling
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Lol, ran to hold my iMac. This is a huge area that has been affected. Really worrisome.

polywog
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Was pretty loud here. Wasn't sure what to make of it for a bit.

whatiwant
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
I thought one of the portly fellows in the office was shaking his knee. he's a known offender...

ComputerIdiot
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yes!! I was wondering what in hell that was! Thanks for the confirmation. :eek:

nick24
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Same in Ottawa. Twitter is going nuts right now over it. Cell service is out, as are plenty of office workers.

Ottawaman
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Magnitude 5.5 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php#details)

whatiwant
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Magnitude 5.5 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php)

5.5 impressive! hehe

globe says 5.7

Chealion
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Magnitude 5.5 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php)

5.5-5.7 magnitude ~50 clicks from Ottawa.

Curious note:

Earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains, although less frequent than in the west, are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

That would explain all the reports in New England.

Sonal
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Strangely, no one in our building felt a thing... also near Don Mills & Lawrence.

ComputerIdiot
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Lol, ran to hold my iMac. This is a huge area that has been affected. Really worrisome.

LOL Smart move! I just sat here and gawked (same as I did in a minor quake several years ago! Really helpful response, eh?)

Boston and Cleveland also felt it.

Macfury
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
North Toronto, in barber chair--felt nothing.

Dr.G.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
North Toronto, in barber chair--felt nothing.

Center of St.John's, NL. Felt nothing, either. :D

MacDoc
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I did not feel this one but my daughter in Ottawa working at Natural Resources just called- they were evacuated from the building. :yikes:

Paddy
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
USGS reports (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/) that it was a magnitude 5.5 quake and it was felt almost 400 km away from the epicenter, judging from these reports:

M5.5 – Ontario-Quebec Border Region, Canada (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2010xwa7/us/index.html)

All the details:

Magnitude 5.5 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php)

ehMax
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Was felt in Kitchener.

My daughter is on a school trip to Ottawa today. They weren't allowed to carry cell phones but have a phone card. I'm sure all is fine, but sure would like to just say hi.

Ottawaman
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
USGS: 5.5 magnitude earthquake strikes Canada – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/23/usgs-5-5-magnitude-earthuake-strikes-canada/)

screature
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Oh My Gosh!!!

We just had the biggest earthquake in 40 years here in Ottawa. It lasted a good 30 seconds! I was on the phone with my boss when it hit and my colleague came running out of her office saying "It's an earthquake we gotta get out of here!" The whole building was shaking and you could see stuff vibrating around, and this was in one of the Parliament Buildings (so you know it wasn't just a little tremor).

Next thing one of the Constables was in our office telling us to get out. Once out on the street, you could see that all the downtown offices had been evacuated as the street was flooded with people.

This was the 5th earthquake I have been through in Ottawa and by far the largest.

Rounder
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Downtown Ottawa, was on the 11th Floor at work and things got shook around quite a bit. Cell networks are still down for me... Rogers (Most Reliable Network in Canada)... my arse it is!!!

Max
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Didn't feel a thing. Was painting in the studio. Then again, we live with streetcars so one rumble feels much like another.

jakey
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Strangely, no one in our building felt a thing... also near Don Mills & Lawrence.

Maybe your building is higher quality than mine, Sonal. :D

ericlewis91
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
some friends felt in London Ontario

but nothing for me

Sonal
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
My super in midtown Toronto didn't feel a thing, but one of the tenants in the same building claimed he was shaken out of bed.

Then again, that guy has always been a drama queen.

MACenstein'sMonster
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hmmm....

Here in Saskadoom we're experiencing a severe shortage of mosquito spray.

If you're thinking of fleeing the Quebec/Ontario region and heading this way bring a U-Haul of Deepwoods Off please.

The Doug
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Clearly felt in MTL. My office building shook gently for 30 seconds or so but I wasn't looking at my watch.

USGS details here (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php).

monokitty
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
A earthquake in Toronto is such an exciting experience for us. :D

Paddy
Amazing how wide the area is that felt it - though I think the folks in Alabama may be just a little confused. ;)

M5.0 – Ontario-Quebec Border Region, Canada (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2010xwa7/us/index.html#data-section)

Macfury
Didn't feel a thing. Was painting in the studio. Then again, we live with streetcars so one rumble feels much like another.

Thank goodness there are real men left alive in this country.

adagio
My whole building shook. I'm in a condo near the lake in Toronto. I was fairly sure it was a quake right away but they are so rare here I wondered perhaps if it was something else at first.

I thought animals were supposed to sense these things? My two cats remained curled up asleep on the bed and never opened an eye or twitched a whisker. Meanwhile the water in my glass is swishing back and forth. My dresser is swaying and my iMac is moving on my desk which is not more than 5 feet from the lazy cats.

monokitty
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I thought animals were supposed to sense these things? My two cats remained curled up asleep on the bed and never opened an eye or twitched a whisker.

Perhaps the kitties thought it was in their dreams.

;)

ComputerIdiot
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
My whole building shook. I'm in a condo near the lake in Toronto. I was fairly sure it was a quake right away but they are so rare here I wondered perhaps if it was something else at first.

I thought animals were supposed to sense these things? My two cats remained curled up asleep on the bed and never opened an eye or twitched a whisker. Meanwhile the water in my glass is swishing back and forth. My dresser is swaying and my iMac is moving on my desk which is not more than 5 feet from the lazy cats.

Did the little darlings get into the catnip stash just before the quake hit?
;)

The Doug
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Has a tsunami warning been issued for the G20 fake lake?

tilt
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Baarhaven, Ottawa. My coffee mug was on my desk and the next moment half the coffee was on my desk! We were asked to evacuate. The building shimmied for like 30 seconds. Felt quite psychedelic I must say :)

Cheers

rgray
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Saint John NB - my iPhone vibrated in class cuz my son called about the e'quake... nuthin' else....

Sonal
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Friend of mine in Cleveland just emailed me to say that she felt the quake in her office.

Dammit! I want to feel the earth move under my feet.... ;)

Mac_100x
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I felt it too! The ground sorta shaked and this is one time when you don't want a Mac mini on the table... It nearly fell!! :eek:

monokitty
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM

:lmao:

Epic comment!

DR Hannon
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
I live in Woodstock, just down from Toronto and did not feel a thing. Yet, my wife in Brantford had her work close early because of the quake.

The Doug
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Should be a laugh riot getting home tonight as (at least for the moment) commuter train service is suspended due to track inspections. :ptptptptp

Mckitrick
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Felt it in Waterloo. Was sitting in my chair "relaxing" when I felt it shaking, looked at the big bottle of water on my desk and saw it swishing. I wasn't sure if it was me or not! LOL.

AppleAuthority
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
I was falling asleep in my desk chair here north of Barrie, when suddenly the chair, desk and blinds were shaking accompanied by some disturbing creaking sounds coming from above. My first thought was tornado, but looking outside showed no wind... very strange experience. Up until I saw this thread, I was convinced I'd gone mad.

dona83
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Craziness! And here in Vancouver we're still anxious to get our big one. I hope all of you are ok!

:clap: Better get off them beach chairs and head inland.

l84toff
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
My wife and I were sitting on the couch. At first I thought she was moving her leg causing the couch to shake until my daughter on the other couch said her couch was shaking also. It was quite funny at the moment. We're in Brantford, it seemed more of a small tremor here. Hope no one was injured.

hayesk
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
I did not feel this one but my daughter in Ottawa working at Natural Resources just called- they were evacuated from the building. :yikes:

It wasn't that bad. A lot of buildings were evacuated as a precaution, but it was pretty mild, and was over by the time anyone could evacuate a building.

dona83
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Wow... evacuating during an earthquake? I'd hate to see how you guys fare against a real earthquake.

SilverMaple
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
I was at a friend's apartment in east Toronto on the 19th floor. The room seemed to sway from left to right for about 20 seconds before it stopped. The framed prints on the wall moved from side to side along with a few other items. It felt surreal!

Sonal
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Wow... evacuating during an earthquake? I'd hate to see how you guys fare against a real earthquake.

Thing is, we don't generally get real earthquakes here, so nothing is built with that in mind.

SINC
Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:45 PM

Hmm, brave words coming from a guy living in one of the most dangerous earthquake areas of the world and the "big one" expected any day now. :D

ehMax
Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM

HA HA... ZING!!!

I LOL'd. :D :lmao:

MissGulch
Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
O'Canada, you okay? Was that Quebec trying to split off again? (joke)

dona83
Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Thing is, we don't generally get real earthquakes here, so nothing is built with that in mind.

I'm sure it's still mildly reinforced... but you put yourself more in danger by running around than finding a spot next to sturdy furniture or in a doorframe or in a closet in the unlikely case the building collapses. Bear in mind that most injuries in an earthquake are caused by falling objects. Sturdy furniture does not include bookcases. If you are in a grocery store aisle or other potentially dangerous places, then you may quickly run to a safer place.

Hmm, brave words coming from a guy living in one of the most dangerous earthquake areas of the world and the "big one" expected any day now. :D

I know what to do to survive one but if my time comes then meh so be it. Besides, Vancouverites have a greater chance of dying in a traffic accident than an earthquake.

O'Canada, you okay? Was that Quebec trying to split off again? (joke)

lol.

screature
Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
It wasn't that bad. A lot of buildings were evacuated as a precaution, but it was pretty mild, and was over by the time anyone could evacuate a building.

No it wasn't that bad, but the worst in decades and decades in this region. And any earthquake is over before people can be evacuated (even the worst ones last generally less than two minutes... it isn't only the duration but the intensity).

Apparently we are over due for a 6.5 plus in this region and when you consider it is an exponential scale at some point we are going to have our own "big one" sooner or later. This could just be a precursor... or not.

RatsOnMacAttack
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Im kinda jealous, I would LOVE to feel an earthquake, or see a tornado, or see a volcano erupting, any natural disaster just gets my adrenaline pumping. The worst we get here on the praries is a 20 minute thunderstorm. Even those disappoint me, I want it BIGGER BETTER more BOOMING!!!!

SINC
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Im kinda jealous, I would LOVE to feel an earthquake, or see a tornado, or see a volcano erupting, any natural disaster just gets my adrenaline pumping. The worst we get here on the praries is a 20 minute thunderstorm. Even those disappoint me, I want it BIGGER BETTER more BOOMING!!!!

I sat right in the front rows of the wind shear storm (about 50 feet away) that razed the Big Valley Jamboree in Camrose, AB. and killed a lady when the main stage collapsed last August. Had you been there, you might just change your mind about wanting to be close to the wrong event. It isn't any thrill when it happens to you. ;)

madhatress
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
We all felt it in our plant in Mississauga (Dixie and Courtneypark Drive). We didn't know what to make of it at first, but after a few seconds, the guy beside me says "It's an earthquake".
At home now and nothing seems to be out of place.

Dr.G.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM

Having been in a tornado in both Athens, Georgia and Waycross, Georgia, and seeing the destruction they caused, I think that you might want to be careful what you wish for re "natural disasters".

Paul82
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Felt it pretty strongly here in Ottawa... They are blasting across the street from my office so we all thought it was that for a moment until the building kept shaking for another 30 seconds or so... At home everything seems to still be in it's place... But newer buildings here are generally built with minor earthquakes in mind... It's the older ones that we have so many of that are more likely to have problems... I wouldn't be surprised if the parliament buildings were damaged as they regularly have pieces falling off them without all the shakeing.

rgray
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
I want it BIGGER BETTER more BOOMING!!!!

Yeah right! Right up until it actually happens to you. I met a lot of guys who talked like that back when I worked forest fires. Most of them shipped out right after their first actual fire. They were useless during that first fire too. Talk is cheap.

dona83
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I sat right in the front rows of the wind shear storm (about 50 feet away) that razed the Big Valley Jamboree in Camrose, AB. and killed a lady when the main stage collapsed last August. Had you been there, you might just change your mind about wanting to be close to the wrong event. It isn't any thrill when it happens to you. ;)

I was in Winfield when that freak storm rolled through. Not as hard as Camrose but it was scary.

Paddy
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
New buildings in Canada have to meet various structural standards related to earthquakes as laid out in the building code. There are different requirements for different areas and different soil types. The Montreal - Ottawa corridor is regarded as the most likely area to have a significant earthquake, BTW.

CBC News Indepth: Earthquakes in Canada (http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/forcesofnature/canada_quake.html)

Macfury
Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah right! Right up until it actually happens to you. I met a lot of guys who talked like that back when I worked forest fires. Most of them shipped out right after their first actual fire. They were useless during that first fire too. Talk is cheap.

I always thought those tornado-chasers had a cool hobby until I got hit by a tornado in Kitchener. You haven't lived until you've seen a 60-foot tree pulled out of the ground and a garage coming up on its roots--or watched your car bouncing upward on its suspension.

kps
Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I was driving my truck on Hwy 45 just north of Cobourg on my way to Peterborough when the quake struck. Didn't feel a thing, didn't see a thing, didn't hear a thing.

MacDoc
Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Speaking of tornados first an earthquake now cottage country is getting hammered with server storms and tornados.

:yikes: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ImageShrinker?http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100623/470_tornado_100623.jpg,225,128

CTV British Columbia - Suspected tornado sparks state of emergency - CTV News (http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100623/midland-ontario-tornado-100623/20100623?hub=BritishColumbiaHome)

Paddy
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
now cottage country is getting hammered with server storms
:eek: ;)

Weather Warnings - Environment Canada (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on8)

groovetube
Jun 24th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I really felt it where I was, what an odd sort of heaving strange movement. I can't imagine what a full blown one would be like.

The worst part was, my mother was in the middle of heart surgery. Thank god it wasn't anything major.