: Foundation cleaning ideas??

eMacMan
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
So here's the problem assigned to you brilliant ehMacers.

4 inches by 24 feet of foundation wall coated with tar. I would like to remove the tar so that it can be parged.

Have tried paint thinner and acetone. Also tried stiff 6" wire brush on the drill.

What I really need is something that will shave off the surface of the concrete as the tar has penetrated as it is should.

Considered a sandblaster but the nearest rental outlet that carries one would require a total of 120 miles in transport. This would require borrowing a pick-up as these will not fit in my car. That's $45-60 for gas on top of the rental charges.

Given the relatively small area would some sort of attachment with an angle grinder work?

Other ideas?

kps
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Raise the grade...;)

I'm assuming this is for an exterior application and the tar is only visible 4" above grade.

Otherwise get some metal mesh, commonly used for creating a base for ceramic tile over plywood subfloors. Tapcon a 6" strip over the tar and have at 'er with the parging mortar.

Or...mesh the whole area to be parged for a more even look. based on your description, you'll only need 3 4'x8' sheets as generally foundations do not go above 4 feet.

eMacMan
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Should have mentioned that this is above a concrete patio not dirt.

Otherwise I would indeed raise the grade.

KC4
Jun 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Other than turpentine, what about heat? As in steam? A portable high pressure steam washer - Would that work?