: Wire transfer from US bank

moonsocket
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Hi All

I have been trying to receive a wire transfer from our publishing company. Its taken a long time to get to this point and we are stuck.

They tried to send it again and got this message after it didnt go through:

"Further Credit To...."

I did a google search and came up with:

"To ensure your account is properly credited, provide the account number and name[s] listed on your account"

But the publishing company has all that. Am I missing something else? Is it because my wife and I have a joint account?

Im going to try and make it to the bank before work tomorrow but I thought I would ask here as well.

Cheers!

chas_m
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM
This may or may not help you, but I got fed up with the cost, time and other folderol associated with sending wire transfers back and forth between the US and Canada, and ended up just setting up two Paypal accounts. Much faster, much cheaper.

Of course I already have a US bank account. Your problem might be easily alleviated by taking a quick trip into Maine, find a CREDIT UNION (not bank!), put $5 in and open a US account (and possibly a PO box while you're at it).

KC4
Jun 8th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Shouldn't be that complicated moonsocket, especially if it is a bank to bank transfer.

Make sure you have given the publishing company your bank's international SWIFT code as well as all of the other pertinent detail. The joint account shouldn't be a problem as long as one name matches the intended transferee.

Also: I know you didn't ask for advice on this, but I offer in case it may help: If you are converting US funds to Canadian, it is typically cheaper to have them transfer the funds as US and then have it converted to Canadian here in Canada (as opposed to having it converted to CDN in the US prior to it being transferred) Check the conversion rates/fees at both ends to ensure you are getting the best deal.

moonsocket
Jun 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM
It really shouldn't be that complicated at all. The publishing company used to be amazing. Hands on service. They knew everyone by name. Then they were bought out by a huge corporation and everything went down the tubes. It's taken me almost 3 years to get to the point of them actually releasing the funds.

You have no idea what a struggle it's been.

ANYHOW

They have everything need. SWIFT code etc. This is just one last hurdle. I talked to the woman at the bank and she told me that "Further Credit To...." is the person holding the account that the transfer is going in to. Let's hope this worls. I am going to lose my tiny little mind if it doesn't.

Thanks for the info!

krs
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
As part of one of my hobbies I have to send and receive money all over the world.
I found in that respect the North American banking system is still in the dark ages compared to Europe say.
So between the US and Canada we now just mail checks or money orders by snail mail. Faster and a lot less hassle than a bank transfer.
And to eliminate extra conversion fees, we opened a US $ account at the Canadian financial institution where we deposit the US $ checks - that way we can convert the money to Cdn when the rates are good.

Can't the publishing company not just send you a check instead of going through the wire transfer hassle?

moonsocket
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Can't the publishing company not just send you a check instead of going through the wire transfer hassle?

Ive had 2 checks go missing already. But I am at the point where I am going to be demanding they send me a couriered check at their cost. So annoying!!!