: Fake $2 million lake for G8/G20. WTF!

zlinger
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I am furious and disgusted by the federal government spending $2 million for a fake lake, not too mention the other ballooning expenditures for the G8/G20.

Sure, we need to showcase what Canada is.. but not in this way. We have real lakes in Canada. This is the same government that wasted $10 million on an ugly Canada pavilion during the Olympics.

Look at the economic situation globally, and debt we're in from government stimulus spending in the recession!

Mortgage payments just went up from interest rate increases! The HST is on it's way in a few weeks! What else is next...

I would like to know how the Prime Minister can justify these costs? Unbelievable!

Tories pilloried for fake lake at G8/G20 media centre - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/tories-pilloried-for-fake-lake-at-g8g20-media-centre/article1595348/)

Ottawaman
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Fake lake not good enough? Here's a $100k gazebo built for the summit -- an hour away from where the summit will take place.
(http://www.cbc.ca/politics/insidepolitics/2010/06/the-g8-g20-and-a-gazebo-worth-gazillions.html)

Ottawaman
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
We have it on good authority that the usually hum-drum swag bags for media will include brand new “special summit edition” BlackBerrys preloaded with promotional stuff about Muskoka.

Fake Muskoka costs real bucks (http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/columnists/greg_weston/2010/06/04/14266366.html)

Swag bags for media - what is this the Academy Awards?

mrjimmy
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I am furious and disgusted by the federal government spending $2 million for a fake lake, not too mention the other unnecessary expenditures for the G8/G20.

Sure, we need to showcase what Canada is about.. but not in this way. We have real lakes in Canada. This is the same government that wasted $10 million on an ugly Canada pavilion during the Olympics.

Look at the economic situation globally, and debt we're in from government stimulus spending in the recession!

My mortgage payments just went up from interest rate increases! The HST is on it's way in a few weeks! What else is next...

I would like to know how a minority Prime Minister can justify these costs? Unbelievable!

Tories pilloried for fake lake at G8/G20 media centre - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/tories-pilloried-for-fake-lake-at-g8g20-media-centre/article1595348/)

I totally agree. Such contempt for the taxpayer. Such recklessness. Such unbridled largesse.

Ultimately, such BS.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
We also need a steam boat... http://scottdiatribe.canflag.com/2010/06/04/steamboat-tony/

Idiots!

Macfury
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yep, this is a disgrace.

SINC
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:11 PM
What's new? Politicians have been full of themselves for decades. Too soon we forget the largesse of past governments that were not Conservative.

chas_m
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
What's new? Politicians have been full of themselves for decades. Too soon we forget the largesse of past governments that were not Conservative.

I'm sorry, so that makes it okay then?

I'd have thought you'd be *applauding* additional public scrutiny of government expenses, not dismissing it.

MacGuiver
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'd call myself a conservative and yes this is idiotic. This and he security costs is making the Conservatives look anything but conservative.

SINC
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry, so that makes it okay then?

I'd have thought you'd be *applauding* additional public scrutiny of government expenses, not dismissing it.

Too bad you didn't get it old chap. My response had nothing to do with scrutiny and everything to do with past spending on other summits and other largesse by other parties. Having not lived here long, you would not know that.

Amiga2000HD
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Too bad you didn't get it old chap. My response had nothing to do with scrutiny and everything to do with past spending on other summits and other largesse by other parties. Having not lived here long, you would not know that.

That essentially supports my position that Canadians have not been well served by our politicians in a very, very long time. Steven Harper had a chance to make a break with that past practice but chose not to exercise that opportunity. I'm really disappointed by that.

Dr.G.
Jun 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Now they are saying that the "fake lake" will only cost $200,000 ................ the rest of the $2 million will go into stocking this lake with fake loons. :( :mad:

kps
Jun 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Now they are saying that the "fake lake" will only cost $200,000 ................ the rest of the $2 million will go into stocking this lake with fake loons. :( :mad:

LOL

Perhaps the pricel also includes Black Flies and 'skeeters.

Macfury
Jun 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
The loons will later be roasted and distributed (with fries) to the poor throughout the GTA in "Loon Snak-Paks."

Dr.G.
Jun 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
LOL

Perhaps the pricel also includes Black Flies and 'skeeters.

That would be an additional $2 million, kps, and they will need this money to drain the "fake lake" once everyone leaves TO.

dona83
Jun 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Is this lake permanent?

Ottawaman
Jun 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
http://media.citytv.topscms.com/images/8c/47/a785c9bb4725929250fefc967cad.jpeg

The display will be inside the Toronto media centre at the Direct Energy Centre on the CNE grounds. Aside from the fake lake, it will include Muskoka chairs, a fake dock and fake canoes. Another area in the Canadian Corridor exhibit will show a mock TSX.

Critics Scoff At Cost Of Fake Lake - CityNews (http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/78688--critics-scoff-at-cost-of-fake-lake)

I count 10 chairs and 2 canoes ;)

Dr.G.
Jun 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Is this lake permanent?

No. It shall last about a week. What is going to be interesting is to see how they get rid of the water .................. seems like they forgot the drainage, which would have cost another $2 million. Still, bucket brigades with everyone in the GTA taking a bucket and walking the 500 meters to the real Lake Ontario will be able to get rid of this water. We shall see. :D

BigDL
Jun 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
http://media.citytv.topscms.com/images/8c/47/a785c9bb4725929250fefc967cad.jpeg

Critics Scoff At Cost Of Fake Lake - CityNews (http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/78688--critics-scoff-at-cost-of-fake-lake)

I count 10 chairs and 2 canoes ;)These Muskoka Chairs look amazingly like Adirondack chairs http://www.yardenvy.com/images/CategoryDetail/painted_adirondack_chairs.jpg I'm surprised Dr.G. didn't notice the similarity. With the free trade provisions are were sure of the origins of the displayed articles?

Dr.G.
Jun 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM
BigDL, they are real Lake Muskoka chairs. Adirondak chairs would only be found near a "fake lake" near Saratoga Lake or Lake George, or even one of the Finger Lakes.

Macfury
Jun 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Yep. They look like they're made out of plastic as well, indicating their Canadian heritage.

WestWeb
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Every day, thousands of people die from lack of access to clean water... (http://water.org/learn-about-the-water-crisis/facts/)

Despite this fact, we Canadians like to dig big fancy holes to show off one of our more valuable resources: clean water.
Then for some stark contrast we showcase it with our least valuable resource: dirty politicians.

Too bad we can't sell off, or waste, our politicians as easily as we do our water.

MacGuiver
Jun 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM
CBC has been all over this story. The one thing their reporting lacks (as it so often does reporting anything about the Conservatives) is any context. They mention a laundry list of refurbishment's and construction including building new bathrooms, a gazebo, a lighthouse sculpture and fixing road and sidewalks .etc. But what has been done during past summits we've hosted? Are the Conservatives doing something thats never been done before or has this kind of spending gone on in the past?

Cheers
MacGuiver

Dr.G.
Jun 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
"But what has been done during past summits we've hosted? Are the Conservatives doing something thats never been done before or has this kind of spending gone on in the past?"

Yes. CBC did a nice comparison of past summits to show the differences in relative terms.

Adrian.
Jun 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM

You're a goof SINC. These arguments you give are so weak. You are actually going to sit there and argue that because someone does not live in Canada they are entirely excluded from the political discussion of that country. Really?

I guess some don't value coherency.

Max
Jun 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Goof. Well, that's certainly an intelligent way of forwarding an argument.

SINC
Jun 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM
You're a goof SINC. These arguments you give are so weak. You are actually going to sit there and argue that because someone does not live in Canada they are entirely excluded from the political discussion of that country. Really?

I guess some don't value coherency.

Back to name calling I see, a common habit with you when you have no other valid argument to use.

For the record, I know full well that chas_m lives in Victoria and I did not insinuate he didn't live in Canada. What I did do though was point out that he hasn't yet lived in the country long enough to know the political history from years back when other governments of the day spent like drunken sailors on other summits and international gatherings.

Now, who's the goof?

eMacMan
Jun 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Back to name calling I see, a common habit with you when you have no other valid argument to use.

For the record, I know full well that chas_m lives in Victoria and I did not insinuate he didn't live in Canada. What I did do though was point out that he hasn't yet lived in the country long enough to know the political history from years back when other governments of the day spent like drunken sailors on other summits and international gatherings.

Now, who's the goof?

FWIW I did not in the least assume when Sinc pointed out that previous PMs had spent like drunken politicians, that he was in any way attempting to justify Harpos largess.

Personally I favour kicking these bums out of the five star hotels and putting them up at Gitmo. At least they would have no security worries there and could even smoke Cuban Cigars to their hearts content.

groovetube
Jun 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Goof. Well, that's certainly an intelligent way of forwarding an argument.

indeed. 'goof' in my days, whatever they are, usually meant a challenge to fisticuffs.

Macfury
Jun 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
indeed. 'goof' in my days, whatever they are, usually meant a challenge to fisticuffs.

I've heard that if you use this term in prison, you'll get your head busted open--considered one of the worst insults.

MACenstein'sMonster
Jun 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
This way of trying to impress visiting big shots with excessive over-the-top architecture has been embedded in our DNA since forever. For example, some of the best known architectural wonders of the world were built to impress visiting dignitaries. As well, these same "wow" structures have been tourist hot spots for decades. So we've doing this kind of ridiculous thing for a long time and apparently there is a segment of the pop. that likes it.

Further evidence of our history of trying to impress was recently uncovered by archee-oo-lolo-justs somewhere in the UK. A cave was found that once belonged to a Neanderthal named Grog. The scientists involved in the dig have determined that he was a tribal leader that would bring out his best rocks for visiting local tribal leaders to sit on. It was also determined that several of the lower ranking tribe members were quite annoyed by this excessive fuss. It is also believed these same "whiners" were forced to lug the rocks to the meeting place. :)