: Breaking sound

jb99
Jun 1st, 2010, 02:43 AM
iMac G5 17 PPC 1.8 GHz OS 10.4.11, Safari 4.0.5

Why is it that sometimes when I watch a video on the Internet the sound breaks up?

iTunes is fine and most other audio or video sounds are fine.

I have a high speed (7Mb) cable modem connection.

As well as with Safari 4.0.5, this also occurs with Firefox 3.6.

Is it a Windows "thing"? Am I missing something, a pilot, a driver? I think I have everything, or is it obviously not?

Have a look at Don's Peak Performance Golf Swing Video Series | Bring Consistency Into Your Game (http://www.thebestgolfofyourlife.com/specialoffer/cut-five-strokes)

jb99

chas_m
Jun 1st, 2010, 08:19 AM
I'm not having any trouble with this video (other than that I really don't care about golf :) ) on my 2007 Intel BlackBook with 2GB RAM and 10.6.3.

Video on the internet is very dependent on your connection speed, which is never EVER consistent. Sometimes, the problem is you; things are running in the background that are helping to eat up your bandwidth. Sometimes, the problem is outside of your control; cable modems are "shared connections" (in a "pool of bandwidth" sort of way), so occasionally a lot of demand in the "neighbourhood" is going to affect your connection's performance during peak hours. You can use tools like speedtest.net to help you determine if the problem lies with your connection (I doubt it, but one has to be thorough).

Since the video you linked to is a Flash video, that could also be the culprit. Flash is a NOTORIOUS resource hog, so be sure you are running the latest version of Flash that you can.

Since this problem occurs in both Safari and Firefox, I have to believe the main culprit is either:

a. Flash
b. Not enough RAM (you didn't say how much you have, I would max it out at this point - it's not expensive, and it will improve performance on your older machine)

jb99
Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Chas_m.
My RAM count is 1.25 GB. Anyway D/L'd latest Flash. It seems as if it fixed the problem.

jb99