: Garden Centre

DR Hannon
May 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Just finished planting my veggie garden. I put in onions, garlic, lettice, rasberries, peas (snow and sweet), watermelon, sweet peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. Has anyone else put a veggie garden and what did you plant?

johnnyspade
May 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm working on it. I'm late getting stuff into the ground. Not to mention the fact that everything is early in my part of Nova Scotia this year. I saw strawberries at market last Saturday, a few weeks earlier than usual.

My yard has a large Maple that looms over it so we don't get enough sustained sun for most veggies but I do have some space carved out for leeks and lettuce, and about 20 different kinds of tomatoes that we grow in pots. I can usually be found in the yard in late Summer walking around with with a salt and pepper shaker.

imactheknife
May 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
we have tomato's and Red Peppers, lettuce, and some other stuff!

DR Hannon
May 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I find it pretty exciting, watching the plants grow and produce fruits and veggies. Not to mention, my son eats more veggies he picks than he ever has off his plate a dinner. And we do not really have a problem getting to eat many veggies as is.

titans88
May 29th, 2010, 02:34 AM
My backyard has no actual green space (its covered with interlock, pool etc) so finding a home for a vegetable garden was difficult. The last few years I've had about 6 - 8 16" pots with various veggies and herbs. I normally do a couple Roma tomatoes, various hot peppers (jalapenos, cayenne, cherry bombs etc) and some basil and parsley. I came across a new mint herb at my Loblaws garden center. It's called "Mojito Mint" so I thought i'd give that a try. Nothing better than a cold mojito poolside.

DR Hannon
May 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
My backyard has no actual green space (its covered with interlock, pool etc) so finding a home for a vegetable garden was difficult. The last few years I've had about 6 - 8 16" pots with various veggies and herbs. I normally do a couple Roma tomatoes, various hot peppers (jalapenos, cayenne, cherry bombs etc) and some basil and parsley. I came across a new mint herb at my Loblaws garden center. It's called "Mojito Mint" so I thought i'd give that a try. Nothing better than a cold mojito poolside.

How are your peppers doing? I had no luck with mine last year.

chasMac
May 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM
As far as home-grown consumables go, my pride is my Pimm's garden: strawberries, cucumbers and mint (not much luck with the lemons, go figure). Strawberries are better than anything found in the shops; the cukes are lacking however.

DR Hannon
May 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Everything but my watermelon is doing well. I wish I knew why.

SINC
May 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I just wish we could plant. With the current temperature 3 and colder tonight, we dare not put anything in the ground for another week at least.

DR Hannon
May 29th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I just wish we could plant. With the current temperature 3 and colder tonight, we dare not put anything in the ground for another week at least.

True, I forgot about the temps there. What are you going to plant?

SINC
May 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM
True, I forgot about the temps there. What are you going to plant?

Tomatoes. Always tomatoes. Several varieties and I mix then in with the flowers in my flower beds with southern exposure. They do well every year.

Also the fixin's for fresh salad all summer long with lettuce, radish, green onion and dill.

Also grow green and yellow beans. Tiny garden is only about 10 feet square, but I use containers and flower beds to mix in the veggies. I think they like being among the flowers as all types really do well as opposed to a row by themselves. Also helps attract bees to the veggies.

Also have permanent beds of raspberries, strawberries and rhubarb.

DR Hannon
May 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Tomatoes. Always tomatoes. Several varieties and I mix then in with the flowers in my flower beds with southern exposure. They do well every year.

Also the fixin's for fresh salad all summer long with lettuce, radish, green onion and dill.

Also grow green and yellow beans. Tiny garden is only about 10 feet square, but I use containers and flower beds to mix in the veggies. I think they like being among the flowers as all types really do well as opposed to a row by themselves. Also helps attract bees to the veggies.

Also have permanent beds of raspberries, strawberries and rhubarb.

That is quite the mix. Making me hungry.

fjnmusic
May 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM

You know, SINC, it could always get colder. This is Alberta, after all. 30C two weeks ago, damn near zero now.