: "the goal".......

Rps
May 27th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I was going to do this as a survey, but I thought that it would be putting words in people's mouths, so I decided to ask you this sports related question:
What immediately comes to mind when someone says "The Goal".....

SINC
May 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM
The goal: What I expect to achieve in any given day or situation. Nothing remotely close to sports.

kps
May 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Working for a large corporation I'm inundated with corporate gobbledegook such as mission statements, synergies, values and goals.

Other than that...Soccer!

Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll!!!!!! !!!

Rps
May 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Working for a large corporation I'm inundated with corporate gobbledegook such as mission statements, synergies, values and goals.

Other than that...Soccer!

Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll!!!!!! !!!

Yes, Kps, but in Soccer, then , which goal what game and who scored it????????????????

MLeh
May 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Immediate reaction to the word 'goal': goals and motivations (what you want to do and how to get them done)

Sports: probably the 'Steve Smith' goal. Although Crosbie's goal at the Olympics was pretty good and a little more recent. Definitely hockey, but my mind goes through a virtual montage of 'goal' instant replays and it's hard to settle on just one.

Sonal
May 27th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Score!

kps
May 27th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, Kps, but in Soccer, then , which goal what game and who scored it????????????????

This one....ZkIGO2UA-u8

Max
May 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
LOL... I think that announcer just got off.

chasMac
May 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Like a lot of Canadians, I've been inculcated to a degree to think of the Paul Henderson goal. Might even have been on one of those heritage spots. The Bobby Orr one also comes to mind. And I don't even care for hockey.

jwootton
May 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Maradonna, Hand of god

Dr.G.
May 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I actually give my students an extra credit option each semester. I throw out some phrases (e.g., your goal, your hope, your fears, etc) and ask them to find two quotes by someone else which typifies their feelings about this phrase, and then to make up a quote of their own.

When I hear "The Goal ........." I don't think of sports in any way.

"The struggle itself towards the heights of one's goal is enough to fill a man's heart." Albert Camus

"A life is not important except in the impact it has upon other lives."

Macfury
May 27th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Absolutely the Paul Henderson goal, and like ChasMac I am not a hockey fan.

bsenka
May 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
There are many great goals, but Paul Henderson '72 is the THE goal.

Rps
May 27th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I thought I would get a number of people who would choose the Henderson goal. For me, a long, long, long time Leaf sufferer, my "Goal" was one scored by George Armstrong. Not noted as being a fast skater, I saw him, literally walk, from his goal crease, through the defense to score. It was amazing since it happened in slow motion, long before they had cameras to do that. It, for some reason, stayed with me as one of the best goals, in hockey, I ever saw ....... Leafs lost by the way.......