: HDMI vs DVD-D for external monitor

sheamus
May 25th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have 1st gen al unibody macbook (5,1).

I currently use a MDP to VGA converter to connect to an old LCD. I bought a new LCD that supports DVI and HDMI. So I can either buy a MDP->DVI-D cable or a MDP->HDMI-adapter + hdmi cable.

Both options are roughly the same price. I know I won't get audio over HDMI. The HDMI option would be nice because more TV's take HDMI than DVI-D.

Would the HDMI route be as reliable as the DVI router? i.e., the macbook detect display and resolution as well as over DVI as it would over HDMI? Is HDMI going to make DVI obsolete (It certainly seems redundant at this point)?

~S

Splice
May 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Sheamus,

I would go the HDMI route. It's as reliable as DVI, and it also supports HDCP, which will allow you to play HDCP-protected content on the external display.

Cheers
Splice Training / Toronto

sheamus
May 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for advice, I ended up ordering a MDP->HDMI cable from monoprice, so I'll see how it works.

This thread is a duplicate of https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/86899-mdp-dvi-hdmi.html. I actually posted this thread first, but it didn't show up (even with username search), so I started another.... and now it shows up. :clap:

~S