: Link Between Autism and Measles Vaccine: Discredited

monokitty
May 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Britain bans doctor who linked vaccine to autism - Healthzone.ca (http://www.healthzone.ca/health/news%20%20features/article/813595--britain-bans-doctor-who-linked-vaccine-to-autism).

LONDON—A gastroenterologist who persuaded millions of parents worldwide that a common vaccine could cause autism was barred from practicing medicine in his native Britain on Monday after the country’s top medical group found he conducted his research unethically.

Dr. Andrew Wakefield was the first researcher to publish a peer-reviewed study suggesting a connection between autism and the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella. That prompted legions of parents to abandon the vaccine in moves that epidemiologists feared could lead to outbreaks of the potentially deadly diseases.

Vaccination rates in Britain and other rich countries have not fully recovered since Wakefield and his colleagues’ research was published in 1998 and there are measles outbreaks across Europe every year. The disease is also on the rise in the U.S.

About time.

imnothng
May 25th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I don't get why people would be so scared of something that has been used for over a generation. As far as that last flu thingy, I totally get why people would be terrified.

hayesk
May 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Finally. I have to hold my tongue whenever I talk to parents who withhold the vaccine for that reason. I really want to just call them a stupid moron for endangering their children. Even more annoying is celebrities who have no expertise in this area repeating this harmful misinformation on TV.

Macfury
May 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Finally. I have to hold my tongue whenever I talk to parents who withhold the vaccine for that reason. I really want to just call them a stupid moron for endangering their children. Even more annoying is celebrities who have no expertise in this area repeating this harmful misinformation on TV.

I know people in this camp. They'll take this news as vindication. The "Establishment" is trying to silence this messenger of truth.

MannyP Design
May 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
MF: Exactly. It won't matter. Jenny McCarthy and her ilk will carry on, regardless. Conspiracy theories will emerge shortly.

monokitty
May 25th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Conspiracy theories will emerge shortly.

And the fear among the skeptic parents will linger on for many decades to come...

Aurora
May 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
And we can thank Ophra for spreading it.

bsenka
May 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I know people in this camp. They'll take this news as vindication. The "Establishment" is trying to silence this messenger of truth.

I don't buy the vaccine-autism connection, and never saw it as a credible claim. Unfortunately, "establishment trying to silence the messenger of truth" is EXACTLY what would happen if this guy was right (see global warming).

johnb1
May 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
unfortunately, people will believe what they want to believe, be it the actual truth
or the "truth" (according to whichever expert they believe, or choose to believe)
the more conspiratorially minded of them will believe that this is the "Establishment"
muzzling their "Messiah" or "Guru" or whatever. The truth, alas, is more basic-there is no single cause or cure for autism. I should know, because I am autistic. IF diagnosed early on
enough, and IF therapy is applied early on enough, then the effects of autism can be minimized, not cured. I suppose it's like that with some things. A guru comes along, claiming to have "the cure" for something, and everyone gets all excited and hops on the bandwagon, with much fanfare and hooraw, only to find out that the emperor has no clothes, and never had any clothes to begin with.Then along comes the next guru, and the reaction is exactly the same, again, and the cycle repeats itself-again. What was it P.T
Barnum said?
However-when you're diagnosed with autism when you're 28 years old-there isn't much that can be done for you

JB

used to be jwoodget
May 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
The (relatively) good news is that understanding of the myriad contributions to autism spectrum is improving daily. Just last week there was a new gene variation found to be associated (Shank2 - a protein involved in neuronal transmission). Sick Kids maintains a database of genetic variants associated with autism as part of a world-wide consortium.

Autism Chromosome Rearrangement Database (http://projects.tcag.ca/autism/)

Genetics isn't the only contributor, of course, but currently genetic tests can diagnose about 12% of autism cases.

bsenka
May 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I actually read the full article, and searched a few of its sources. Some interesting things that fly in the face of the headlines a little bit.

1) Dr. Andrew Wakefield's findings were peer-reviewed, and published in the Lancet.

2) The objection to his research is not a dispute of the facts presented, rather his ethical financial conduct. He paid children for their blood samples, and the study was financed by the lawyers families who believed they'd been harmed.

3) The primary research disputing Dr.Wakefield's claims has in turn, also been discredited.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: Central Figure in CDC Vaccine Cover-Up Absconds With $2M (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/central-figure-in-cdc-vac_b_494303.html)

A central figure behind the Center for Disease Control's (CDC) claims disputing the link between vaccines and autism and other neurological disorders has disappeared after officials discovered massive fraud involving the theft of millions in taxpayer dollars.

Thorsen's partner Kreesten Madsen recently came under fierce criticism after damning e-mails surfaced showing Madsen in cahoots with CDC officials intent on fraudulently cherry picking facts to prove vaccine safety.

Again, I DON'T believe there is a vaccine-autism link. Just showing that "the establishment" operates the same way the "quacks" do. Just because something is public knowledge, in the papers, and published in peer-reviewed journals, doesn't mean it's true.

Kleles
May 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Our society blindly adulates celebrities, giving them an authoritative cloak that far exceeds their skills and knowledge. Looking good, being wealthy, entertaining, athletic, and, most importantly, having lots of exposure on visual media (television, movies) seems to imply that what these people say is correct, accurate, and important. We confuse entertainers with sages. Just because we see them a lot (too much) doesn't make them wise.

used to be jwoodget
May 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Doesn't point #1 entirely undermine the thesis that the "establishment" is as bad as the quacks? The fact that it was not blocked from publication shows that the system works. I have yet to see a quack make a case against their own views. Of course, conspiracy theories make so much more interesting reading. In this case, actual harm was done (in that hundreds of children suffered chronic complications because they were not protected). The reason was not the initial paper, it was the publicity surrounding it which was deliberately stoked by the people who funded it.

There are other studies that de-bunk the connection but you are correct that all studies are potentially flawed and should never be taken out of context. That is why research results need repeating and testing. That is also a fundamental principle of the scientific method. Science is subject to human flaws and frailties.

I actually read the full article, and searched a few of its sources. Some interesting things that fly in the face of the headlines a little bit.

1) Dr. Andrew Wakefield's findings were peer-reviewed, and published in the Lancet.

2) The objection to his research is not a dispute of the facts presented, rather his ethical financial conduct. He paid children for their blood samples, and the study was financed by the lawyers families who believed they'd been harmed.

3) The primary research disputing Dr.Wakefield's claims has in turn, also been discredited.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: Central Figure in CDC Vaccine Cover-Up Absconds With $2M (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/central-figure-in-cdc-vac_b_494303.html)

Again, I DON'T believe there is a vaccine-autism link. Just showing that "the establishment" operates the same way the "quacks" do. Just because something is public knowledge, in the papers, and published in peer-reviewed journals, doesn't mean it's true.

eMacMan
Aug 14th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Oops! Appears the courts are siding with Wakefield. I suspect he may be right simply because the lamestream seems to be completely repressing this.

Courts quietly confirm MMR Vaccine causes Autism – Anonymous (http://www.anonews.co/autism-vaccine/)

Glad I grew up in an era where I just got the measles, was miserable for a few days then got on with my life. Blessed with a lifetime immunity and no brain damage.

Macfury
Aug 14th, 2016, 02:17 PM
The fact that some courts have offered awards is of course simply a confirmation that some juries and judges are handing out awards--not a scientific confirmation.

Oops! Appears the courts are siding with Wakefield. I suspect he may be right simply because the lamestream seems to be completely repressing this.

Courts quietly confirm MMR Vaccine causes Autism – Anonymous (http://www.anonews.co/autism-vaccine/)

Glad I grew up in an era where I just got the measles, was miserable for a few days then got on with my life. Blessed with a lifetime immunity and no brain damage.