: Fly The Eco-Friendly Skies

SINC
May 19th, 2010, 10:27 AM
MIT-led team designs airplanes that would use 70 percent less fuel than current models.

In what could set the stage for a fundamental shift in commercial aviation, an MIT-led team has designed a green airplane that is estimated to use 70 percent less fuel than current planes while also reducing noise and emission of nitrogen oxides (NOx).

The design was one of two that the team, led by faculty from the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, presented to NASA last month as part of a $2.1 million research contract to develop environmental and performance concepts that will help guide the agency’s aeronautics research over the next 25 years. Known as “N+3” to denote three generations beyond today’s commercial transport fleet, the research program is aimed at identifying key technologies, such as advanced airframe configurations and propulsion systems, that will enable greener airplanes to take flight around 2035.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/nplus3-0517.html

Macfury
May 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Gee, SINC, that's all well and good, but can't they turn those planes into affordable housing?

screature
May 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Yes I read that as well SINC. There only seems to be a couple of small problems. The first really is rather small. The rear engine technology reduces top speeds by about 10% over what they are now and kicker is that the rear engine placement increases engine vibration and stress substantially. So until they get that worked out... I think I will let others fly them first. :D

SINC
May 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I used to count the DC-9 among my favourite planes to fly because of the rear engines. As long as you were on the wing or further forward, there was little engine noise at all.

MannyP Design
May 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Gee, SINC, that's all well and good, but can't they turn those planes into affordable housing?

Maybe we need to get Ikea to bring their cheap houses (http://www.boklok.com/UK/) over here, too. ;)

screature
May 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I used to count the DC-9 among my favourite planes to fly because of the rear engines. As long as you were on the wing or further forward, there was little engine noise at all.

I think it must be that the engines are placed completely at the rear of the fuselage that presents the problem, I really don't know, just relaying what I read. ;)

They also moved the engines from the usual wing-mounted locations to the rear of the fuselage. Unlike the engines on most transport aircraft that take in the high-speed, undisturbed air flow, the D-series engines take in slower moving air that is present in the wake of the fuselage. Known as the Boundary Layer Ingestion (BLI), this technique allows the engines to use less fuel for the same amount of thrust, although the design has several practical drawbacks, such as creating more engine stress.

Airplane design could use 70 percent less fuel (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20005198-52.html?tag=mncol;title)

Adrian.
May 19th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I will never fly anything made by MD. Every plane they have ever made was a giant piece of crap compared to Boeing or Airbus.

SINC
May 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I will never fly anything made by MD. Every plane they have ever made was a giant piece of crap compared to Boeing or Airbus.

Just goes to show how little you know about air travel in the 60s and 70s. :rolleyes: