: Ridiculous: Mazda dealer scams women out of thousands; is shut down.

monokitty
May 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Here's a good example of the absolute greed and selfishness some people and organizations of society have dwindled down to; Mazda of Orangeville apparently sold a 2010 Mazda6 vehicle to a vulnerable older lady for more than $25,000 over its actual value after she came in originally simply looking to replace the tires on her previously existing Mazda.

Fortunately for everyone else, Mazda Canada yanked their license as a result.
Mazda Canada terminates dealer who sold car for $25,000 too much... | Wheels.ca (http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/785934).

Mazda Canada has terminated a dealership in Orangeville for breaching the company’s business practices including an incident where the store sold a car to a woman for more than $25,000 above its real value.

In a rare move, the auto maker announced Thursday that it had ended the sales and service agreement for Mazda of Orangeville effectively immediately, which means the store cannot sell any new vehicles and parts to customers or make repairs.

The move comes less than a week after the Star revealed the dealership had sold a 2010 Mazda6 G6 sedan to a local woman for about $66,000 including taxes and a trade-in car but she should have paid less than $41,000.

“We informed the dealer this morning that we were terminating the agreement because he had not adhered to the business standards, under the terms of the sales and service agreement,” said Greg Young, Mazda’s director of corporate public relations.

Young noted the huge overpricing of a car to the woman was one example of a breach but the company conducted an investigation and found other violations.

One word: Brutal.

Macfury
May 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
On top of that, the woman was on social assistance.

I remember a local dealer a few years back getting raked over the coals for agreeing to cancel a sales agreement under the 48-hour "cooler head" provision, then taping the cheque and sales agreement back together after the customer left. The bank actually cashed the fractured cheque.

chasMac
May 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I remember a local dealer a few years back getting raked over the coals for agreeing to cancel a sales agreement under the 48-hour "cooler head" provision, then taping the cheque and sales agreement back together after the customer left. The bank actually cashed the fractured cheque.

Unfortunately, Canada has no "cooling off" law applied to automotive sales, as do many US states. I think it is a very good idea.

(It does however, apply to the timeshare industry, which I discovered to my benefit after a rash moment.)

Macfury
May 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately, Canada has no "cooling off" law applied to automotive sales, as do many US states. I think it is a very good idea.

You're right. It was described as that in the article, but it does not exist here.

dona83
May 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I hope they reimburse the full amount AND let her keep the car... it is a nice car.

iLabmAn
May 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Personally, I'm glad these people are out of our town. Too many bad experiences and evidence of less-than honourable dealings with customers.

dona83
May 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM
They still own a Suzuki dealership and they will still be selling preowned vehicles.

"This 98 Ford Taurus runs like a champ!" Clunk clunk clunk fail.
"It's a Camry, forget that it's 15 years old, tell me the fact that it'll run forever isn't worth $12,000" Clunk clunk clunk fail.

Paradime
May 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
They still own a Suzuki dealership and they will still be selling preowned vehicles.
Let's hope that the $250,000 fine against the dealership and the fines plus jail time against the employees put an end to them.

I, also, had an unfortunate experience with a Mazda dealership where they claimed to perform work on my car and a visit to another dealership for unrelated work a week later reveal that the work from the 1st dealership was never performed! The 2nd dealership actually put their findings in writing and I marched off to Mazda Canada's office where I threatened to sue both the dealership and Mazda Canada. In the end, the 2nd dealership perform the work that was suppose to be done and the 1st dealership refunded the entire amount.

Although I was glad with the conclusion, that was my last Mazda.