: Mac Mini on refurb from 469 to CAD 549$!

mabmac
May 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hi,

Up to CAD 400$ of savings with a price of 549$ for a 2 GHz , 2GB, 320 GB, 256MB video.
For the ones interested, it might be a good deal!

:)

krs
May 11th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I bet you those will be gone in no time.
I bought one a few weeks ago and an hour later they were all out of stock except the server model.

And if you buy through the VIA rail boutique, you get enough Via points for a short haul 3-hour trip plus the free $100 printer or a $100 rebate on a more expensive one.

Jason H
May 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
So is that a range of prices or did the price increase from $469 to $549?

krs
May 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM

A bit confusing - I also first thought the price had increased - but if you check the Apple website you will find three different types of Minis in that price range.
These are the same prices Apple had weeks ago - the Mini just doesn't show up very often in the refurb section.

mabmac
May 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Look at the Apple Store : of course this is a range of price, but I mentioned the one which has a rebate of 42%.

mabmac
May 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I wanted to change the title of the topic, but I can only modify it in my first message.
Sorry guys for the confusion!

kloan
May 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Doesn't matter anyway.... only the servers are left. They go so quick... must only have a few at a time.

wslctrc
May 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM
all three of mine are refurbs and I never thought twice when I saw them for sale. As mentioned they go quick, the first time I tried buying one it was sold by the time I got through the buying process and I had to wait for next time. I have one 2.0ghz and two 2.26ghz all bought since February.

satchmo
May 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Did the ones going for $469, have display port and 1066 MHz frontside bus? If so, that is an awesome buy. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

The only negative I see would be the tiny 120gb drive. How difficult is it to crack open and replace the drive on these Mac minis?

krs
May 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Did the ones going for $469, have display port and 1066 MHz frontside bus? If so, that is an awesome buy. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Yes, but that is the 2.0 GHz version with only 1 GB of RAM.
The 2,26 GHz version with 2 GB of RAM was $549 vs the price of a new one at $649.- or $599.- if you qualify for the Edu discount.

wslctrc
May 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The only negative I see would be the tiny 120gb drive. How difficult is it to crack open and replace the drive on these Mac minis?

left the 2.0 alone for the business computer, added a 320g drive to my office 2.26 and upgraded to a 640g drive and 4g ram for the 2.26 unit driving my 46" lcd tv, it holds so far about 320 mp4 movies.
the procedure is simple Mac mini Model A1283 Repair Manual - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/Mac_mini_Model_A1283)

PierreB
May 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
that was quick sold out now ( 2010/05/11 22:24)

satchmo
May 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
the procedure is simple Mac mini Model A1283 Repair Manual - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/Mac_mini_Model_A1283)

Maybe for you, but those parts look pretty delicate once you manage to jimmy the case off.

screature
May 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Maybe for you, but those parts look pretty delicate once you manage to jimmy the case off.

It actually is a lot easier than you might think, especially on the new Minis. If you can use a screw driver, you can upgrade your Mac Mini. Getting the case off is the hardest part and it isn't hard at all. The hard part is getting over your fear that you might break it. ;)

krs
May 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Getting the case off is the hardest part and it isn't hard at all. The hard part is getting over your fear that you might break it. ;)

That is so true -

When I opened my old 1.42 GHz PPC Mini the first time to clean out the dust - the fan came on an awful lot of the time, it must have taken me 20 or 30 minutes because I was so careful and proceeded millimeter by millimeter.
Two days ago I tried to upgrade to a 1 GB stick but it didn't work because I ended up getting high density RAM - I was sure I had researched this subject and decided after reading various bits of info that the Mini could tale high density RAM but it can't.

Yesterday I installed low density RAM and decided to time myself.
From the time I had the Mini on the table to start to work on it until the RAM was replaced and the cover back on the Mini took exactly 4 minutes.
And that was going relatively slowly and carefully.

screature
May 12th, 2010, 01:53 PM
That is so true -

...Yesterday I installed low density RAM and decided to time myself.
From the time I had the Mini on the table to start to work on it until the RAM was replaced and the cover back on the Mini took exactly 4 minutes.
And that was going relatively slowly and carefully.

I know eh, once you have opened the case a couple of times you really wonder, "what was I so afraid of?"

wslctrc
May 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I agree but the bluetooth/airport wires are delicate and I've had them pop off as I try to disassemble/reassemble.
Easy enough to pop back on though.