: Replacing parts of the casing of a white MacBook

travelingrae
May 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I'm posting this for a friend who has a white Intel MacBook. 2.2 GHz, 1GB Ram. Her machine is getting quite scruffed up and the casing around the keyboard is cracked. She got another identical machine that's only good for parts and she is hoping to be able to swap out and replace that piece of the case. I'm not sure how to describe it--it's the rectangular piece with cutouts for the power button, the space bar and trackpad, and keyboard. She's hoping that that part can just be lifted out and easily swapped. Could it? And if so how?

Thanks,

Rae

monokitty
May 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM
If her machine is less than 3 years old, Apple is replacing those top cases free-of-charge due to cracking - it's a known, well documented issue with those machines. If it's over 3 years old, refer to this manual:

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Upper Case - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Upper-Case/515/1).

Fairly straight forward. Though iFixit refers to it as the "upper case" which is wrong (I'm not surprised). It's known as the top case assembly and includes the keyboard.

broad
May 11th, 2010, 10:23 PM
keep in mind too that machines which may look "identical" to the average user could very well have different topcases and therefore be incompatible.

travelingrae
May 11th, 2010, 10:32 PM
We're in Dawson City, YT, so it's easier for her to swap the casings herself than it would be to get the computer to Apple.

The machines are definitely identical. We'll be performing the surgery tomorrow.

She says "Thank you!"

Rae

winwintoo
May 12th, 2010, 12:42 AM
If her machine is less than 3 years old, Apple is replacing those top cases free-of-charge due to cracking - it's a known, well documented issue with those machines. If it's over 3 years old, refer to this manual:

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Upper Case - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Upper-Case/515/1).

Fairly straight forward. Though iFixit refers to it as the "upper case" which is wrong (I'm not surprised). It's known as the top case assembly and includes the keyboard.

Lars, do you have more information about the cracked case problem? Mine is cracked both on the palm rest and around the screen - doesn't bother me, but might as well get it fixed if I can.

I googled and found lots of hits, but most were of the "what should I do variety"

Is this something I could just haul the computer in to the fixer place and they would take care of it, or do I need some special blessing from Apple.

MacBook is late 2008 and no applecare.

Thanks, Margaret

monokitty
May 12th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Margaret - bring it into any Apple Store or AASP. No other work required on your part. :)

winwintoo
May 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Margaret - bring it into any Apple Store or AASP. No other work required on your part. :)

Thanks Lars, I appreciate the info.

Margaret

broad
May 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
the one thing that bears mentioning is that apple will *only * replace topcases that are cracked on the front, under where your palms go when typing. any cracking on the sides or back and you are S.O.L.