: 1 wife, 3 kids, and a trip to Drumheller - what do you recommend?

MACenstein'sMonster
May 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
In a few weeks we'll be heading to the Royal Tyrrell Museum. Plan on staying for 2 days. Never vacationed there before but I have a basic idea of what the place has to offer. What I'm looking for is the inside scoop from experienced visitors. You know, the "you just gotta go and see", "be prepared to bring....", "don't climb on the Stegosaurus skeleton because when I did that....", or "make sure go at such a time because...." kind of advice that the brochures don't provide.

Any little tidbits of information that you can provide for noobie visitors will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

MLeh
May 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Depending on the ages of your offspring and when you're going, they generally have excellent 'day camps' offered by the Museum. Half days for the younger ones, and full day camps for the older ones. Highly recommended.

Edit: here's a link: Royal Tyrrell Museum | Programs | Public Programs (http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/programs/public_%20programs.htm)

My husband really wanted to do the camping overnight one, but he was too old...

SINC
May 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Is this a camping trip, or are you using hotels/motels? We've done both. One thing is for sure, Drumheller upcharges EVERYTHING. You pay through the nose compared to other communities of similar size. I think they call it the dinogouge syndrome.

danalicious
May 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Depending on how old your kids are, they will love climbing all over the hoodoos.

Hoodoos in Drumheller, Alberta - TravelDrumheller.com (http://www.traveldrumheller.com/hoodoos.html)

MACenstein'sMonster
May 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
We will be staying at a motel which is part of a package deal that was offered months ago. Inexpensive as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Looking into those day camps right now.

SINC
May 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear you got a package deal. Generally speaking, campgrounds and hotel/motels are expensive. Staying there on business in the 90s used to run me way over $100 a night and campground overnight rates for a tailer or motor home are ridiculous at $45 - 50 bucks a night just last year.

The Tyrell is of course the star attraction and not to be missed, nor is a short drive to see the hoodoos east of the city, especially at night when they are illuminated.

I really enjoyed the Pioneer Heritage museum located on the way to the Tyrell. A great look at yesterday and how we used to live and a bargain at $12 for a family day pass.

Of course one cannot escape without a climb up the world's largest dinosaur in the downtown, just for the view alone for only $3. And if you like ice cream, there is a vendor that can be seen from the dino viewing stand that has yummy ice cream and lots of flavours.

FeXL
May 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
First off, don't forget your camera and lots of storage or a place to download. Tyrrell is a world class museum, enjoy it. I would recommend scheduling a complete day there. You may want to brown bag lunch and carry it in a backpack, the cafeteria is pricey.

Reptile World (http://www.reptileworld.net/) is a neat place to visit (if not a bit pricey), especially if you can get there at feeding time. Lots to see.

SINC is bang on regarding the ice cream place.

While I can't vouch for Horsethief Canyon (never been, but it's near Tyrrell), Horseshoe Canyon (http://www.traveldrumheller.com/canyons.html) is a good place for a view & a short hike. See attached panorama.

Oh, on the seedier side of town there's this smokey little bar with a great brass pole ballet...nah, never mind. You got the wife & kids with ya...

One more thing. North of Drum about an hour on highway 56 is Stettler where this little steam train ride is. (http://www.absteamtrain.com/) Don't know if that's something you're interested in, whether you can schedule it in or what. Neat stuff, we took the kids on it a few years back, they all enjoyed it. You can loop back to Saskadoom via AB-12 and SK-51.

DempsyMac
May 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
okay most of the stuff listed here is bang on but there are two things missing that I would recommend, I have been many times but have not been in many years although looking at taking my kids this or next year as well.

Now I don't remember just where these things are but I know that they are not far from the museum but a quick google search should find them for you

1) there is a really cool and really high "shaky bridge" it goes over the river and is really fun for the kids, then on the other side of the bridge is a great place to hike and search for fossils (although you will never find any) I would allocate about 3-4 hours if you plan to hike around the area for this.

2) There is a section of road around Drum that I believe has the most bridges in a crazy short period of time, not a crazy fun thing to do but kinda neat if you can work it into your travels if I recall correctly there were 10 to 15 bridges in about an area that takes you about 10-15 minutes to drive.

Also already has been mentioned a few times but don't skip the hoodoo's the kids will love seeing and climbing on them.

eMacMan
May 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I vaguely recall a drive loop in the area that involved a cable ferry probably across the Red Deer river.

winwintoo
May 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm sure you've seen this:

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/indian_face_google_earth.jpg

edit: well that didn't work, try this

http://www.googleearthcoolplaces.com/images/kmz_images/indian_face.jpg

Your kids might get a kick out of it

Go to Google maps and put in these co-ordinates

50 0'38.20"N 110 6'48.32"W

Margaret

danalicious
May 12th, 2010, 02:47 AM
1) there is a really cool and really high "shaky bridge" it goes over the river and is really fun for the kids, then on the other side of the bridge is a great place to hike and search for fossils (although you will never find any) I would allocate about 3-4 hours if you plan to hike around the area for this.

Oooh, I forgot about that one - the Rosedale Suspension bridge. I'm sweating just remembering my oldest running across that thing...

MACenstein'sMonster
May 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Tremendous!

Thank for the information.

I checked the weather forecast and if it holds up :) we should have a great opportunity to get outdoors.

MACenstein'sMonster
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
We went.

We saw.

We had beautiful weather (remember those couple of days way back???).

And it was great!

Editing vacation video as I type this (rendering stage). Loved it all. Kids had fun, wife had fun and I had fun. Fun. Waaaay too much to take in with only 2 days to tour. Visited all the major tourist spots - the Hoodoos, the suspension bridge, the museum, the world's smallest church, the Wal-Mart (forgot my swimming togs for the hotel pool :o), world's tallest T-Rex (Japan now has the world's tallest dinosaur or so I was told), and more.

BTW, booked one of the outdoor museum tours online. Good move and worked out just fine. As for the museum - stunningly stunning! I have to go back to see it again someday because, well, the 2 youngest kids were a little impatient to move at a pace where I could really read and observe each display. Still very enjoyable. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been.

BTW - I like climbing stuff. Therefore, Drumheller's landscape suits my natural inclination to climb. I even climbed up the side of a hill outside the Wal-Mart next to the parking lot. If we had hills next to the Wal-Mart here I might actually desire to go there. "Go ahead dear. I'll just be climbing the hills."

:clap: