: Airport Extreme Printer Recommendations

Glipt
May 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Looking for a Printer that will play nice with airport extreme. Preferably one that can use a B&W only cartridge. I've tried to set it up on computers for friends and can't seem to get the wireless printing to work. I was wondering if some printers play nicer than others with airport extreme.

Any ideas?

monokitty
May 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Define "wireless." Wireless, as in the printer isn't actually wireless but is made so by plugging it into the USB port on the AirPort Extreme? Or a printer that actually has built-in wireless capabilities and can connect to an existing wireless network? If it's the former, any printer should work as the printer isn't actually wireless.

Glipt
May 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Sorry. Just a USB printer that will plug into the airport. I didn't want to buy a printer and find out it was incompatible for some reason.

John Clay
May 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Brother makes a few reliable black and white laser printers. The HL-2140 can be had for about $100, and works fine over AirPort.

Avoid ink jet like the plague.

broad
May 10th, 2010, 07:48 PM
i have an hp1006 works fine connected to a time capsule. its really fast, and toner is about $80. lasts me about 5 or 6 months and i print probably 15-40 pages per day

avoid lexmark printers..they never seem to work connected to an airport of any sort

Glipt
May 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for those.

AquaAngel
May 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
i have an hp1006 works fine connected to a time capsule. its really fast, and toner is about $80. lasts me about 5 or 6 months and i print probably 15-40 pages per day

avoid lexmark printers..they never seem to work connected to an airport of any sort

My Lexmark has been working flawlessly with my Airport time capsule and also Printer share on wireless. 3 people are using my printer wirelessly at home and never had any issues for the past 4 years and i am very happy with my Lexmark so far.

So i say, you can still try a Lexmark, HP, Brothers just make that it is a the quality that you want.
the brand is for you to choose. Enjoy your new toy!

broad
May 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
which lexmark model do you have? i have tried 3 different ones with no luck

AquaAngel
May 15th, 2010, 01:45 AM
which lexmark model do you have? i have tried 3 different ones with no luck

i have the E 238. works fantastic

ldphoto
May 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
It's a bit hit or miss with Airport USB printers. I could never get my Samsung CLP-310 to work correctly on Airport, and I there are lots of similar reports on the internet.

Luc

Benito
May 15th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I have a Canon all in one ink jet printer plugged into my AE. It has worked flawlessly and is able to print from both PC's and Macs this way. It is a colour inkjet printer, but I tend to use grayscale printing most of the time to not waste the colour ink.