: "Unopened" Macbook Pro ads on Craigslist?

woodman
May 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I've noticed a strikingly large percentage of ads on Craigslist advertising "new in box / unsealed" Macbook Pros, particularly on the Vancouver Craigslist. It seems an awful lot of people are either winning contests I've never heard of, or are blessed with particularly generous friends / relatives / anonymous 3rd parties offering them luxurious Macbook Pro's as "gifts". Said people also apparently have no use for these fine machines and are happy to sell them at a somewhat discounted price.

I feel naive asking this but... does anybody know why this is? Are they stolen / used Macbooks being passed off as new? Was a huge shipment of Macbook Pro's ripped off or something? Or some other scam I'm unaware of? I'm in the market for a late 2009 13" MBP and some of the ones on Craigslist look tempting, but they seem suspicious to me. I feel as if there's some sort of "wink-wink" black market everybody knows about, but I am unaware of.

Thanks for your comments!

bsenka
May 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Some are stolen. Some don't even have the Macbook at all, but instead are running a scam to get you to pay for something you'll never receive.

Still others are just looking to rob you (or worse):

Local News | Police: Fatal Craigslist home invasion linked to earlier Lake Stevens robbery | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011735142_homeinvasion30m.html)

rgray
May 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I've noticed a strikingly large percentage of ads on Craigslist advertising "new in box / unsealed" Macbook Pros....

If you believe that I have some nice swampland, er.... vacation property... and a bridge you might be interested in............

Darien Red Sox
May 8th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Before Apple was strict on government/educational discounts people used to use there discount to get a bunch of Macs at about 10% off and then sell them for around 5% off. Then Apple cracked down and put a limit of 1 Desktop and 1 Laptop discount a year.

Quicksilver G4
May 8th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I was just on Craigslist and found this fail of an ad:

MACBOOK PRO 15" incl. all wires, etc.
(in box, mint condition, new)

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
MAC OS X 10.6.3
300GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB GDDR3 memory

Warranty expires June 15, 2010
iWork Suite
Firewire

- Bought March 15, 2010 -

They weren't even out in March!

fyrefly
May 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I'd say some could be legit. I've bought a MBP off Craigslist no problem before and it was sealed, cheap and I got a valid Apple Store reciept. Serial #'s matched.

IMHO, Just meet in public, test the machine out and away you go!

broad
May 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
was just on Craigslist and found this fail of an ad:

MACBOOK PRO 15" incl. all wires, etc.
(in box, mint condition, new)

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
MAC OS X 10.6.3
300GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB GDDR3 memory

Warranty expires June 15, 2010
iWork Suite
Firewire

- Bought March 15, 2010 -

They weren't even out in March!

slow down there sherlock. the machine described absolutely was out in march...it was released last june and stayed current until a few weeks ago when it was replaced by the i series mbps.

i dont believe that 512mb gpu was ever an option in the 2.66ghz machine though...

Quicksilver G4
May 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
slow down there sherlock. the machine described absolutely was out in march...it was released last june and stayed current until a few weeks ago when it was replaced by the i series mbps.

i dont believe that 512mb gpu was ever an option in the 2.66ghz machine though...

Nope, it says it has the GT330M, which as you just said, wasn't out until a few weeks ago.

i-rui
May 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
a lot of the time people on craigslist don't have a clue about their actual machines specs, so they just go to the apple website and copy/paste the tech specs they think match theirs. i.e. they see a 2.66ghz mbp and assume it's the same as theirs.

but that wouldn't explain the mismatched purchase & warranty expiration dates.