: MacBooks at Staples

satchmo
May 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I know they've been in an out of stores in the past, but my local Staples now carries the full MB and MBP's. It's set up on a small desk like in BestBuy (albeit not as nicely).

Sales guy says they may honour Apple coupons or discounts plus their 3 year warranty is $199. Not saying it's where I'll buy my next MBP, but nice to see another retailer trying to support/push/sell Macs.

fjnmusic
May 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I know they've been in an out of stores in the past, but my local Staples now carries the full MB and MBP's. It's set up on a small desk like in BestBuy (albeit not as nicely).

Sales guy says they may honour Apple coupons or discounts plus their 3 year warranty is $199. Not saying it's where I'll buy my next MBP, but nice to see another retailer trying to support/push/sell Macs.

Support/push/sell/get a piece of the pie before it's too late. If they get an iPad in, pretty soon there'll be a lot of netbooks taking up shelf space.

ertman
May 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
They use to sell Mac products at Staples, but I believe they phased them out right before Apple started to see significant sales growths in computer sales.

daniels
May 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM
thats great, now the closest place i can buy my macs from will be staples which is a 6 mins drive :) better then 45mins which is the closest future shop.

Jarooda
May 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
They use to sell Mac products at Staples, but I believe they phased them out right before Apple started to see significant sales growths in computer sales.

We used to carry them and the only reason we phased them out was because Apple was unwilling to sell directly to us. We had to deal through a third party called Ingram Micro and they could only sell us a certain amount. This meant that every store had 2 of each laptop in stock. That means 1 demo, and 1 available for sale. Not a good way to do business.

mkolesa
May 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
We used to carry them and the only reason we phased them out was because Apple was unwilling to sell directly to us. We had to deal through a third party called Ingram Micro and they could only sell us a certain amount. This meant that every store had 2 of each laptop in stock. That means 1 demo, and 1 available for sale. Not a good way to do business.

just curious (i've never been involved in retail)... why would it be strange to have a demo unit and one in stock for sale? it seems to me, if you don't have a demo unit you can't really sell something, and if you don't have units in stock to sell immediately people will take their business elsewhere, no?

wslctrc
May 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM

just curious (i've never been involved in retail)... why would it be strange to have a demo unit and one in stock for sale? it seems to me, if you don't have a demo unit you can't really sell something, and if you don't have units in stock to sell immediately people will take their business elsewhere, no?

One display and one on the shelf - you buy the one in stock this morning and I come in the afternoon going home without. Not a good way to do business.

Jarooda
May 9th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Exactly.

And the big problem is that it took us 2 weeks to get new stock in.

Lets just say we have 1 customer wanting to buy a day, that is 14 missed opportunities before we get a new one in.

It was horrible.

The current Staples that have Macs are just being used as test stores and we are now dealing through Apple directly. Since there are fewer stores carrying them (less than 50 right now out of over 350) they can actually have stock.

broad
May 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
apple's insistence that retailers go through ingram and synnex is ridiculous. why line their pockets unnecessarily?

synnex is a ripoff and ingram almost never has stock. its a complete shambles

fjnmusic
May 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Exactly.

And the big problem is that it took us 2 weeks to get new stock in.

Lets just say we have 1 customer wanting to buy a day, that is 14 missed opportunities before we get a new one in.

It was horrible.

The current Staples that have Macs are just being used as test stores and we are now dealing through Apple directly. Since there are fewer stores carrying them (less than 50 right now out of over 350) they can actually have stock.

Kind of like the Rogers experience with iPhones last summer. If I was from Apple, I would be seriously unimpressed with the amount of effort places like Rogers, Staples (back in the day, anyway) as well as Future Shop and Best Buy put into promoting Apple products. In my experience, they sell them like it's an obligation, not because they're really advocating Apple products, which makes sense since they make a higher commission on everything else. London Drugs sells Apple stuff too, for about the same price, but I don't go there for expertise. Convenience only.

Jarooda
May 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Kind of like the Rogers experience with iPhones last summer. If I was from Apple, I would be seriously unimpressed with the amount of effort places like Rogers, Staples (back in the day, anyway) as well as Future Shop and Best Buy put into promoting Apple products. In my experience, they sell them like it's an obligation, not because they're really advocating Apple products, which makes sense since they make a higher commission on everything else. London Drugs sells Apple stuff too, for about the same price, but I don't go there for expertise. Convenience only.

This is why Apple took control of Best Buy and Future Shop by putting Apple run kiosks into those stores.

Trevor...
May 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Those $100 off $500 Staples coupons they send me could become very useful...

fjnmusic
May 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM
This is why Apple took control of Best Buy and Future Shop by putting Apple run kiosks into those stores.

That reminds me, if you want something done, there's only three ways to do it:

1) Do it yourself
2) Pay someone to do it
3) Forbid your kids from doing it

;)

SoyMac
May 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Since Staples is selling Macs again, should buyers beware of the problem buyers have/had at non-Apple stores, where the store would sell Macs that weren't the latest model, as if they were the latest model?

(I'm not saying that I know that Staples in particular ever did that)

broad
May 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
i dont think there is any onus on a store to make explicitly clear that the product they are selling is not the newest model.

if they are asked and claim that it is, or if their advertising claims that it is, directly or indirectly, they would be in the wrong, but i dont see any reason, ethically or legally, that you would have to say "$999 MacBooks (previous generation)".

hayesk
May 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM

What do you mean? You could most certainly order more than 2 of each laptop. Perhaps you are referring to when supplies were constrained from Apple, such as when a new model was introduced.

hayesk
May 10th, 2010, 02:44 PM
i dont think there is any onus on a store to make explicitly clear that the product they are selling is not the newest model.

Not legally, but it is a bit slimy, especially if the price is at the current price, or only slightly less.

Jarooda
May 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM
What do you mean? You could most certainly order more than 2 of each laptop. Perhaps you are referring to when supplies were constrained from Apple, such as when a new model was introduced.

Take 2 and multiply that by 300....there you go

broad
May 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Take 2 and multiply that by 300

subtract 590 from that and thats usually about how many of *anything* apple ingram has in stock