: Going the other way

steadfast
May 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I am waiting for the delivery of a 13" MacBookPro from the refurb section of the Apple store. Now I want to transfer everything from a 12"iBook that has served me faithfully until recently when a number restarts have been needed. I would like to use the Tiger system from the iBook on the new machine. Is it possible to just transfer it over or will there be problems. The main reason I need to use Tiger is my printers are Epson RX500s and Epson has not/will not upgrade their drivers and yes it makes a big difference to me to use the Epsons. The cartridges can and have been recharged many,many times at a great savings to my lowly bank account:-))
Thanks for any help:)

monokitty
May 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Your refurbished MacBook Pro will not run any OS less than 10.6 Snow Leopard. Sorry. The hardware is incompatible with previous Mac OS X operating systems. Migration Assistant will move personal data and applications only; not operating systems.

Ottawaman
May 7th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Apple today released Epson Printer Drivers v2.3.1 for Mac OS X v10.6, bringing updated support for a number of Epson printers and multifunction devices. The full download, which weighs in at 688.23 MB, requires Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Apple maintains an extensive list of current printer support for Snow Leopard, with the latest changes to Epson's drivers included in the appropriate section.

Apple Updates Epson Printer Drivers for Snow Leopard - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/03/apple-updates-epson-printer-drivers-for-snow-leopard/)

Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#epson)

ldphoto
May 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM
You can also use the iBook as a print server, and share the printer with the new computer through it.

Luc

Ottawaman
May 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Epson RX500 is in the list I linked to - but check for yourself.

steadfast
May 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Thank you folks. I am now a little more informed and Ottawaman, I did download the drivers. The proof will be in the pudding when I try to do some printing. I just received my Macbook Pro this afternoon and first disappointment, I will need to buy a new VGA adapter because the one from the iBook doesn't fit. Oh well it's only money :)