: new MBP HDD

sit hear
May 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
quick question for you guys,

I have a new MBP 13" and I've noticed that whenever I'm watching a movie on it or doing anything else, if I tap or even just slightly shake the laptop( like driving over a bump in my car with the laptop on my lap), the movie or whatever I'm working on freezes on me and the HDD makes a little noise then contiunes. Is that normal?

thanks
J

spacemonkey
May 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM
It sounds like your sudden motion sensor is kicking in and parking the HD heads like it is designed to. This is normal for the situation you're describing.

Apple Portables: About the Sudden Motion Sensor (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1935)

SINC
May 7th, 2010, 10:24 PM
quick question for you guys,

I have a new MBP 13" and I've noticed that whenever I'm watching a movie on it or doing anything else, if I tap or even just slightly shake the laptop( like driving over a bump in my car with the laptop on my lap), the movie or whatever I'm working on freezes on me and the HDD makes a little noise then contiunes. Is that normal?

thanks
J

As noted, the behaviour is normal.

What's not normal however is you driving with a laptop operating in your lap.

What the hell are you thinking?

Watch the road and make it safe for others. Your behaviour is very dangerous and frankly, It is an offence in Canada called driving without due care and attention. You might want to look up the penalty for that little exercise. ;)

Davis
May 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
haha he clearly isnt driving, how would you have a laptop in your lap while driving anyways.

darkscot
May 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
i dunno, he did say "my car". the noise and freezing aren't normal from my experience.

okcomputer
May 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Yep, sudden motion sensor kicking it.

It freaked me out the first couple times it happened. I don't like clicking sounds - brings back bad memories of hard drives crashing in ThinkPads at university. Haha.

SINC
May 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM
haha he clearly isnt driving, how would you have a laptop in your lap while driving anyways.

Then explain exactly how one should interpret this:

( like driving over a bump in my car with the laptop on my lap)

That clearly says to me he is driving his car with a laptop in his lap. :rolleyes:

Davis
May 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM
well Im only 17 and when I talk about my parents cars I say my car... I do drive it.

jamesB
May 8th, 2010, 01:46 AM
well Im only 17 and when I talk about my parents cars I say my car... I do drive it.
would you refer to "riding in your parents car as driving my car?"

Even more to the point, it sounds as if the computer is in his lap to enable him to watch a movie, while driving over a bump.