: How to connect 2 mics to my MBP?

motoyen
May 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm adding a podcast to my current website where it will be myself and a guest speaking. How do I set it up so we both have separate mics and both are being recorded by my MBP?

Currently I have a USB mic and I record my podcast using Quicktime. If I buy a second USB mic and plug that in will the MBP recognize both mics?

zarquon
May 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm adding a podcast to my current website where it will be myself and a guest speaking. How do I set it up so we both have separate mics and both are being recorded by my MBP?

Currently I have a USB mic and I record my podcast using Quicktime. If I buy a second USB mic and plug that in will the MBP recognize both mics?

The MBP should recognize two mics, but I'd use GarageBand as the app. It will give you much better control of the final output.

Z.

Macified
May 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Both should be recognized. You will need to record with software like GarageBand which allows you to record from multiple devices. Your other software alternative is to use Audio/Midi controls (in your Utilities folder) to create a custom device which uses both USB mics.

Curious - which USB mic are you currently using and are you happy with your results?

motoyen
May 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
So I don't need a mixer or anything? Don't even know what a mixer is but I was told I need one.

I have the Snowflake microphone but I'm not happy with it as whenever I use it I hear this low level electrical humming sound in my recording. I usually end up using my Sony UWP-V1 lavalier mic instead.

I'm thinking about buying the Rode Podcaster USB Dynamic Microphone, anyone using that mic?

Macified
May 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
You shouldn't need a mixer as long as you use an application that can recognize and record from multiple inputs . If you want to stick with QuickTime as your recorder you will need either a hardware or software mixer to combine the inputs. Apple includes a software mixer called Audio Midi (should be in your Utilities folder).

Interestingly, I just tried all of this and found that QuickTime doesn't recognize the aggregate input. I used Sound Studio and the aggregate was recognized. GarageBand, Audio HiJack and many others will recognize the aggregate input allowing multiple mics.

There is a sample posted to www.schiedel-webb.com/aggregate.mp3

Vexel
May 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Here's a pretty decent tutorial as well.. for use in Garageband.

Record with Multiple USB Mics Simultaneously in GarageBand | Mac|Life (http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/record_multiple_usb_mics_simultaneously_garageband )

motoyen
May 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
fantastic! Thanks everyone I'll start using Garageband.

Macified
May 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Just a warning on GarageBand. It can be resource intensive. When you are recording there is the chance that the resources will get used up and the process will stop. You will get a message on screen and you won't lose anything that has been recorded up until that point.

I have had better success with simpler recording tools like Audacity, Sound Studio or Audio HiJack Pro when I know the session will go long.

If your session permits, it is sometimes better to break the recording up into shorter segments by stopping and restarting. Just be sure to save each section appropriately.

Good luck.

motoyen
May 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Macified good point. Would it be better to save the recording to an external drive? To keep my hard drive as clutter free as possible?

Macified
May 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks Macified good point. Would it be better to save the recording to an external drive? To keep my hard drive as clutter free as possible?

During recording I would record to the internal drive but that's really just to reduce the load on the usb system and to avoid the necessity of having external drives plugged in. I usually do recording "in the field" using a MacBook Pro so having fewer connected items is just easier.

Once the recording is complete, I would immediately copy the raw (unedited) files off onto your choice of backup media even if it's just temporary.