: New Macbook Pro Core i7, overheating issues?

clee290
May 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone, I recently read on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/core-i7-equipped-macbook-pro-hits-100-degrees-celsius-your-lap/)/Gizmodo that the Macbook Pro core i7s have overheating issues. If you haven't read the article, they ran Cinebench on the core i7 and it reached 100 degrees celsius. This seems kind of scary and is making me change my mind on whether to get one or not.

Now these are the things that I will be running on it (if I were to get it). I will be running Photoshop, I'm gonna be doing some gaming, video editing etc. Do you think I will have overheating issues as well? Or did they get to 100 degrees because Cinebench pushes the GPU to its limits?

Adrian.
May 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone, I recently read on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/core-i7-equipped-macbook-pro-hits-100-degrees-celsius-your-lap/)/Gizmodo that the Macbook Pro core i7s have overheating issues. If you haven't read the article, they ran Cinebench on the core i7 and it reached 100 degrees celsius. This seems kind of scary and is making me change my mind on whether to get one or not.

Now these are the things that I will be running on it (if I were to get it). I will be running Photoshop, I'm gonna be doing some gaming, video editing etc. Do you think I will have overheating issues as well? Or did they get to 100 degrees because Cinebench pushes the GPU to its limits?

Cinebench is supposed to push the machine to nearly its limit. The running temperature would not be near 100 degrees. I wouldn't be worried.

clee290
May 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Cinebench is supposed to push the machine to nearly its limit. The running temperature would not be near 100 degrees. I wouldn't be worried.

Alright, thanks a lot :D

Jarooda
May 2nd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Apparently their unit was defective. The fans were not running up properly so it was unable to cool down.

Mine has been cooler than my old 13" MBP that I replaced.

clee290
May 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Apparently their unit was defective. The fans were not running up properly so it was unable to cool down.

Mine has been cooler than my old 13" MBP that I replaced.

Oh okay, thanks for the info :D

ldphoto
May 2nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
I have the 15" 17, and it certainly gets fairly warm when doing lots of Aperture Work and importing. My 1st-gen 15" unibody Macbook Pro with a 2.4GHz C2D did not get as hot, but it was not as good a performer either.

I didn't check the actual CPU temperature, but I would not want to use the i7 MBP on my lap wearing shorts if I was doing heavy-duty work.

Does anybody know what the normal operating range is for the mobile i7? Perhaps it is made to run that hot. I have an nVidia GTX295 graphics card in my Windows PC that is designed to operate at 85-95C, perhaps the mobile i7 is similar.

Luc