: WallStreet PBG3 - need help in diagnosing a problem

rampancy_fatalin.
Apr 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I'm usually more experienced working on MacBooks (I've done a full LCD replacement, optical drive swap, AirPort card and top case replacement, etc.) but I thought I'd go retro and pick up a used PowerBook G3 off of Kijiji, which I think is a WallStreet (it still has the six color Apple logo on nameplate, and is a lot thicker than what I've seen in Pismo/Lombards).

The problem is that as soon as I plug in the power adapter, the machine boots up immediately, and then shuts down. It also happens if I press the power key, or if I even apply pressure on the keyboard. I don't know if it matters, but I also got the machine with a third-party power adapter, and the battery is dead.

I suspect that it's a problem with the power jack (fixable by replacing the DC/Sound-In board, I think) but are there any experienced PBG3 owners who could shed some more light on this?

Rob
Apr 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
You should reset the power manager. I can't remember the procedure on the Wallstreet, but you can easily Google it.

rampancy_fatalin.
Apr 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Resetting the Power Manager doesn't seem to have had any effect. The power adapter socket seems a little loose, so I'm going to try replacing that; I ordered some replacement parts on eBay. Here's hoping that will work.

mguertin
Apr 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Those machines were notoriously bad for the PRAM batteries ... it is not a small watch style battery on the mboard though, it's a big honking battery pack (a few larger cells inside a heat shrink type setup) and it lives up against one of palm rests on the plastic case. If resetting the power manager didn't work that would be my next guess ... if that pack is bad or shorting out it will do exactly what you're talking about. It's a PITA to get to as well as you have to disassemble a good bit of the innards to get to it :(

Good luck! Love the retro hardware.

rampancy_fatalin.
Apr 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Those machines were notoriously bad for the PRAM batteries ... it is not a small watch style battery on the mboard though, it's a big honking battery pack (a few larger cells inside a heat shrink type setup) and it lives up against one of palm rests on the plastic case. If resetting the power manager didn't work that would be my next guess ... if that pack is bad or shorting out it will do exactly what you're talking about. It's a PITA to get to as well as you have to disassemble a good bit of the innards to get to it :(

Good luck! Love the retro hardware.

Thanks for the advice. Right now the only place where I'm seeing a PRAM battery is $30 + shipping. Ouch.

From what I've seen, it looks like possible points of failure are the sound/DC-in card (faulty connections apparently), the PRAM battery, and the power supply card. How likely could it be that the power supply card is also at fault?