: External Hard Drive - follow-up

Kevin_B
Apr 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
OK, my brain has been washed (as in addled)! In an earlier post about Elephant Drives, I got several responses with various suggestions for which I am very grateful. I had posted this follow-up question as part of the same thread, but thought it might have got lost. So I am re-posting it in a new thread.

It would appear that you (I mean the collective "you") who know are advising me to get an enclosure and a hard drive, and put it together myself, rather than get one already assembled.

For an iMac, what make and model of enclosure would you recommend. Whether it is Rosewill, Vantech, Macally or anything else, the reviews are not overwhelmingly in favour of any one. Also what make and model of a 1Tb hard drive would you recommend? Most likely one of Western Digital or Seagate, but is one make/model more reliable than the others?.

And where in the Toronto area would you buy these from?

My fallback position is to get a 1Tb Elephant drive from Carbon.

Thanks, Kevin

ic3guy
May 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
For the enclosure, I say read the reviews on the tigerdirect.ca and then choose. The enclosure itself is not really that important, as long as you don't buy a 1$ one off of ebay direct from China. In terms of a hard drive brand go with a well known brand (you have listed a couple). The thing to realize is that hard drives fail, even from well known companies. Always make backups, RAID is a good choice.

I just recommended this setup for someone else on ehmac. Buy the Western Digital My Book World Edition NAS at TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4974966&CatId=2671)

To buy, I would recommend tigerdirect.ca . I have made many purchases from them and have been very happy with their service.

krs
May 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
I have actually had a few bad experiences with TigerDirect when it came to service on defective merchandize, but that was years ago and probably no longer applies. But since then TigerDirect is off my radar completely.

I found the external drive you recommended rather expensive for a 2 TB unit............well, until I realized it's an ethernet interface. The OP is looking for an external to go with his iMac.
If a 2 TB drive is required I would go with a WD green drive for less than $150.-
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS Hard Drive | WD20EARS | Canada's best price (http://www.pc-canada.com/p/item/prod.asp?item=WD20EARS&utm_source=pricebat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricebat)

plus either a USB 2.0 or firewire enclosure which are less than $25 and $50 respectively.

On the enclosure I would look for:
Aluminium case not plastic
No fan
on/off switch (not mandatory)
Preferably internal power rather than a power brick, but those enclosures seem to be hard to find

and read up on reviews once you pick an enclosure - the chip set used is important but most enclosure manufacturers don't tell you what's inside.

BTW - did the price for the bare Elephant FW 400 enclosure ever get published in the other thread?

Suge
May 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
the criteria for me was the portability and connectivity, i ended up with an oyen digital enclosure off of ebayfor $44 US. it has fw800, usb, esata can be either bus or ac powered and uses oxford chipset.

for the harddrive i went with a 320GB wd black (?) series that had a 5 yr warranty. the larger 500GB+ sizes only come with 3 years but i figured i'd rather get a 2nd drive than one huge one but that's just me :)
also i usually buy seagate but just got wd b/c it was available. i gave up on allegiances to manufacturers b/c it's too exhausting to keep up with the horror stories on either end. overall tho those two manufacturers seem to be it.

ic3guy
May 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I found the external drive you recommended rather expensive for a 2 TB unit............well, until I realized it's an ethernet interface. The OP is looking for an external to go with his iMac.
If a 2 TB drive is required I would go with a WD green drive for less than $150.-
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS Hard Drive | WD20EARS | Canada's best price (http://www.pc-canada.com/p/item/prod.asp?item=WD20EARS&utm_source=pricebat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricebat)

I agree with you on the price part. I accidentally linked to the Ethernet version. The USB/IEEE/eSata version of the one I posted is actually quite good, but not super portable.

wonderings
May 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Why limit yourself with an enclosure? I personally think this is the best route. A hard drive toaster basically. Slide it in and your good to go. Have another or want multiple backups, you can swap out drives in seconds. Fill up the hard drive and want to add a new one? Again just buy a hard drive and slide it in. I use this with FW800 and its fantastic. I have a few elephant drives (1tb and 750 gig) They are great, cant complain, but this is by and far the way to go imo.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/wonderings/voyagerswitch_q.jpg

NewerTech® - Voyager Q “Quad Interface” FireWire® 800/400/USB 2.0/eSATA - SATA I/II Hard Drive Docking Solution (http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagerq.php)

ic3guy
May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Awesome design.

But only if it could ALSO toast bread. :lmao: