: [MBP Screen] Matte or Glossy?

JoeyDee
Apr 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Guys.

Just wanted to get your feedback regarding what type of screen finish you like most. I have always had a "matte" on iMac and MBP. Now that I am planning to buy a new MBP today, I was wondering what is the most favorable screen; matte or glossy?

Im leaning towards the "glossy".

Vote in and please comment.
Thanks guys!:clap:

SINC
Apr 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
My MBP 2.66 new Dec 09 w/500 GB HD 8 GB RAM was ordered with a matte screen. I offed my MBP new April 09 because of the glossy screen. I could not stand it and editing photos is now so much better. You could not give me another glossy screen.

i-rui
Apr 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I voted matte, but that's based on my needs.

If you do anything where colour accuracy is a concern go matte. If you plan to use it outside go matte.

For most other uses glossy is fine.

JoeyDee
Apr 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hey guys.

Thanks for the comments. So, the glossy is too reflexive? I just find that the glossy give a clearer image on screen, no?

ScanMan
Apr 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Another spec to consider (and I could be wrong, as I'm not in the market for one) but AFAIK the antiglare MBPs are now only available in hi-res format. For some, this makes viewing "too small".

Macified
Apr 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
The glossy screen is to reflective for my liking. If I didn't have the option of matte on MacBook Pro I would switch to a Windows laptop. I will never buy a glossy screen for daily use.

i-rui
Apr 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hey guys.

Thanks for the comments. So, the glossy is too reflexive? I just find that the glossy give a clearer image on screen, no?

the glass artificially increases the contrast and saturation of the display, so it gives it a "pop" that most people like.

unfortunately it's not a true indicator of the actual image, so it's not desirable for colour critical work.

G-Mo
Apr 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Glossy all the way!!!!!

SINC
Apr 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Yep, "pop" goes the weasel.

fyrefly
Apr 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I voted matte, even though it sucks that Apple makes you go high rez (and pay the extra $100 premium) to get it.

I tried using a glossy MBP for a bit, but it was basically like looking into a mirror.

ScanMan
Apr 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
...it sucks that Apple makes you go high rez...

Does it ever.

Nick
Apr 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Agreed. I'm cool with paying the extra for the hi-res option, but paying more for matte seems like a scam. You don't pay more for french vs english keyboard....

Just a bit of a tick off as I'm about to get a new mpb to replace my current one.

wslctrc
Apr 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I want a matte screen 13" pro but it's not an option and I guess they need to use up the C2D chips before the 13" pro goes I3, I5 or I7.

broad
Apr 26th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Agreed. I'm cool with paying the extra for the hi-res option, but paying more for matte seems like a scam. You don't pay more for french vs english keyboard....

the matte screens are built on an "as needed" basis. its not the same thing at all as buying a french laptop, where literally hundreds or thousands are made to fill the demands of an entire province/country etc.

I want a matte screen 13" pro but it's not an option and I guess they need to use up the C2D chips before the 13" pro goes I3, I5 or I7.

i doubt itll ever be an option on the 13". despite what it says on the glossy display, the 13" isnt really a "pro" machine.

ldphoto
Apr 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM
After using a glossy MBP for almost a year (and a glossy-ish white macbook before that), I've now made the move to a matte display and it's much, much better for me. Once calibrated, the colours are a reasonable match with my pro level NEC monitor on the Mac Pro, which is worth the expense of the upgrade for me.

I'm no sure the matte display MBPs built on an as-needed basis, they had the i7 Matte in stock at the Ottawa Apple Store, in both French and English configurations.

I do think the aluminium bezel they use for the matte screen probably costs more than just putting a pane of glass over it though.

I much prefer the hi-res panel (I think that 1680x1050 is the ideal resolution for a 15.4" display. We have some Lenovos with 1920x1200 15.4" at work, and those are just too small). I can see how some people, especially those that mostly deal with text and not graphics, would prefer the 1440x900 resolution.

Luc

okcomputer
Apr 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I'm very glad I chose the matte option on my MBP. I had used a 13" glossy MBP, and based on that I made my decision.

But I finally got to try the exact laptop I have, but with a glossy screen. I sat them next to each other, and did the same tasks on them with the same display settings.

I really got annoyed at seeing my reflection in the glossy screen. It hurt my eyes after a while.

If I get another MBP, I'll once again go for the matte option, even if it's only available on the higher-res screen for a premium.

wslctrc
Apr 27th, 2010, 12:26 AM
t despite what it says on the glossy display, the 13" isnt really a "pro" machine.

explain...

l84toff
Apr 27th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Matte!!

I was just at an Apple store last week and they had a matte 17". It looked really good. When I read about the silver border around the edges, I thought yuk. But it looks quite good IMHO. The screen itself also looks very bright and other than the lack of reflection (and there's a lot of reflection on a glossy one - one thing my wife and I both hate about our 13"), it looks almost the same.

If you're really not sure why not take a drive to an Apple store and see for yourself. Just make sure they have one in stock before heading out.

JoeyDee
Apr 27th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Wow seems everyone likes the matte. I guess I'll have a look at the matte before getting the new mbp. Nice reading all your comments guys.

10x!

Nick
Apr 27th, 2010, 04:08 AM
the matte screens are built on an "as needed" basis. its not the same thing at all as buying a french laptop, where literally hundreds or thousands are made to fill the demands of an entire province/country etc.

I'm not so sure about that. Otherwise why would they always have matte machines in the refurb store? They build what they think they'll sell. And apple seems to think they can charge $50 more for matte. We pay because we want them, not because it's costing apple that much more to make them. It's a premium like many of the things apple does.

fyrefly
Apr 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Matte 13" Pro would be nice - but I used a Screen Film on my old 13" MBP and it was adequate enough...

Re: Core2Duo - the new Core iX chips wouldn't work in the 13" - because of Intel forcing it's crummy "HD Graphics" on everyone and suing Nvidia to stop them from making Integrated Graphics chipsets for the iX series of processors. (like the 320M in the current MBP 13").

There's already a thread here explaining it. :)

andreww
Apr 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thought the glossy screen on my MBP would be a disappointment when I got it, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The colour is far more vibrant than my previous powerbook, and the reflections rarely cause a problem. When the do, a quick change to the angle of the screen quickly solves the problem. The tradeoff for colour and vibrancy far outweighs the annoyance of reflectiveness IMO.

bsenka
Apr 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Glossy screens are bad news. It's not just the reflection (which is really bad), but the colours are totally inaccurate. It shows contrast and saturation that simply is not there on the source material.

I've got a glossy iMac with a matte LG second monitor, and the difference is startling... EVERYTHING looks better on the matte monitor.

l84toff
Apr 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Thought the glossy screen on my MBP would be a disappointment when I got it, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The colour is far more vibrant than my previous powerbook, and the reflections rarely cause a problem. When the do, a quick change to the angle of the screen quickly solves the problem. The tradeoff for colour and vibrancy far outweighs the annoyance of reflectiveness IMO.

Compared to an old MacBook I would have to agree. Compared to a new macbook with a matte screen, I totally disagree. But that's only after seeing them side by side.

fyrefly
Apr 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Glossy screens are bad news. It's not just the reflection (which is really bad), but the colours are totally inaccurate. It shows contrast and saturation that simply is not there on the source material.

I've got a glossy iMac with a matte LG second monitor, and the difference is startling... EVERYTHING looks better on the matte monitor.

In a sense, you're both right, IMHO. While I vastly prefer the Matte Screen on my MBP, if my primary use for the laptop was content consumption (looking at pics online, Facebook, YouTube, DVDs, etc...) then I would probably want Glossy. It does make all the colours "pop" - despite being less accurate.

The issue for professionals using the screen, is that the glossy is not representative of what's going to print out - so if you're proofing for print/video, the Matte screen is better.

But Apple loves them Glossy Screens 'cause they look awesome when Apple's showing media on them as demos in stores. :)

broad
Apr 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM
explain...

the 13" doesnt have a dedicated GPU, nor is it available in a matte screen. therefore, its not suitable for any sort of "pro" work based on the needs of most professionals (video, still, design, hell even audio) i deal with. even look at the results of the poll from the users of this site, many of whom are design, web etc. pros.

I'm not so sure about that. Otherwise why would they always have matte machines in the refurb store? They build what they think they'll sell. And apple seems to think they can charge $50 more for matte. We pay because we want them, not because it's costing apple that much more to make them. It's a premium like many of the things apple does.

because matte screen machines get delivered DOA or fail almost right away just the same as glossy screened machines do, so they end up getting sent back, fixed up and in the refurb store, just the same as glossy screened machines do

fyi there is more to the matte screen machines than just sticking a different display on the same computer. the bluetooth assembly is different on the matte machines, as is the topcase (to accommodate the BT assembly). the cost of building those unique topcases and BT assemblies has to be factored in, as well as the cost of running a separate line or however they do it...

JoeyDee
Apr 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
wow, what a really cool discussion! Great to read all your comment guys!

polywog
Apr 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I went glossy this time around for general use - I have a second monitor that I use for anything that really needs colour accuracy. I really find the glossy screens great for day to day surfing and gaming.

satchmo
Apr 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The issue for professionals using the screen, is that the glossy is not representative of what's going to print out - so if you're proofing for print/video, the Matte screen is better.

True. But I've always wondered if these professionals wouldn't normally have their MBP's connected to larger a 20-30" matte display, thus making it a non-issue.
I can see possibly getting away with it if one had a 17" MBP.

singingcrow
Apr 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
A matte screen isn't just for "professionals". One of the reasons I haven't updated to the intels yet is no matte screen. I love my little 12" Powerbook, and really don't need or want anything bigger. But if the 13" went matte, I would be all over it. And yes, I record music on this little thing - it's also great for gigs.

The glossy screens are great for watching video, and gaming, but for those if us who use it for accounting, writing, web design, or just reading the web, the matte screen can be a lot easier on the eyes. It's softer, kind of like reading a newspaper as opposed to a glossy papered pamphlet. The glossy lets things pop out, but that's not good for your eyes for hours at a time.

So really, what is your primary use?

Nick
Apr 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
True. But I've always wondered if these professionals wouldn't normally have their MBP's connected to larger a 20-30" matte display, thus making it a non-issue.
I can see possibly getting away with it if one had a 17" MBP.

I'm a professional, and am about to buy a new 17" mbp. Going matte all the way. A big reason to have a laptop is being able to work outside the office. Otherwise I'd buy a MacPro. Now I do understand that the mbp display is not going to be as nice/accurate as a proper external monitor, but it's going to be a lot better for a graphics professional than a glossy screen.

I just wish apple would release a matte cinema display again.. .as I also want to get a new display for work. I do love the fact the new 24" display has built it mag-safe, isight, mic and speakers. But I'm just not sure about the glossy. I'm going to go demo a 24", as I've heard it's a different panel than the old 24" imac was, and is supposedly better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I just really hope when apple revamps their monitor line up (June supposed according to the rumours), that they'll bring back the matte display. If they don't, I'm wont buy buy one. Which is sad, because I DO want to.

Cheers,
N.

JoeyDee
Apr 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Just got back from Futureshop and the salesman at the store also told me Matte is far better than Glossy... so I've changed my mind guys, I wish I can re-vote :( I will get the Matte.

Thanks.

G-Mo
Apr 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Just got back from Futureshop and the salesman at the store also told me Matte is far better than Glossy... so I've changed my mind guys, I wish I can re-vote :( I will get the Matte.

Thanks.

Just the fact that a Future Shop salesman told you that should tell you to go the opposite way!! ;)

ScanMan
Apr 29th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I'm surprised a FS guy would say that. They can't even sell you one.

Nick
Apr 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I just wish apple would release a matte cinema display again.. .as I also want to get a new display for work. I do love the fact the new 24" display has built it mag-safe, isight, mic and speakers. But I'm just not sure about the glossy. I'm going to go demo a 24", as I've heard it's a different panel than the old 24" imac was, and is supposedly better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

So I just got back from my demo of the 24" ACD.
I had my matte 15" mbp (pre-unibody - new i7 17" matte on the way. :) )
Had his 15" glossy unibody mbp (6 months old)
His 24" ACD (6 months old)
And for additional reference I have a Dell WFP2008 24" display at my office.

In summary, here are my findings.
15" unibody glossy:
The glossy on his display isn't the best for shadow and highlight detail. Over-saturation isn't as bad as I'd expect, but it is over saturated. Off angle viewing and highlights and suffer. Same complaint about the glossy and reflections like the ACD, of which I'll elaborate more below.

15" pre-unibody matte:
Colors were a hair undersaturated. I think this has to do with my display being dimmer. If it had been a bit brighter it would be close. Off angle viewing wasn't as bad as the glossy, but it still suffers (as all laptops do). Overall display brightness was a little weak (as I've always known). Hoping the new generation of matte mbp will correct this. I would still take this generation of display (albeit dimmer) as it was to the glossy new ones.

24" Dell WFP 2008:
I put this in just as another comparison/baseline. Thus far I've liked what I've seen from the high end dell displays. Very good for the most part. Oddly enough colors are a little over saturated. Brightness and contrast good. Highlight and shadow detail are very good, as is off angle viewing. As noted color is a bit over saturated, but perhaps can be corrected with a new/proper calibration? I need to borrow my friends usb calibrator.

24" ACD.
Color rendition is very good, as for saturation, perhaps a hair to much (but still very good). It was much better than the glossy mbp display. Shadow and highlight are also very good. Off angle viewing was much better than the glossy mbp as well, but not as good as either of the matte displays. I do really like the fact that the display has mag-safe, speakers, mic and isight built in. Actually, I really like it. But the gloss is a deal breaker for me. As for the gloss on this display (just like the glossy mbp), I can't stand it. On dark colors and blacks it acts like a mirror - as it does with light colors, but to a lesser degree.

I personally think Apple needs to offer this display - or another - with a matte option. Apple's previous matte displays where fantastic. The dell is very good, and I hear good things about the high end NEC's and Samsungs (although have never seen a high end one in person). I'm sure Apple is loosing pro monitor sales because of not having a matte option. Only apple knows the ratio of matte vs glossy mbp's sold. And whether or not they think they can sell enough matte cinema displays to make it worthwhile. I know I'm not alone in complaining about it. Whether or not Apple will hear our cries remains to be seen. I hope that they do.

Final summary (and of course this is my personal opinion):

For graphics professionals:
- When it comes to laptops get the matte.
- When it comes to your office screen, I would personally get a high quality matte display (pick your flavour/brand).
- If you don't mind the glossy reflections the colour and quality and features of the 24" ACD are fantastic.

For non graphics professionals.
- Get what you like. I do understand why some like the way glossy looks. If you like gloss for it.
- One caveat though: When it comes to using a glossy display outside, i've been told it can be almost impossible in direct sunlight.
- When it comes to a desktop/home display: get what you like. If the reflections don't bother you, it's a beautiful display and package.

Cheers,
Nick

A few caveats worth noting:

All displays suffer from loss with off angle viewing (hear good things about the iPad though). The question is how much, and how bad is it. The apple cinema display (being glossy) was worse than the dell, but it will still very good and usable.

Both our office lighting is incandescent office halogens. Neither of use use Fluorescent lights. I have a full spectrum color accurate lighting which I turned off for the test (to have a consistent lighting.) Our offices are also both a block apart with east facing windows.

I'm also just talking about desktop graphics here. Not getting into movies and games. So I can't comment on how these displays do with rapidly changing content and speed.

ldphoto
Apr 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
If you're looking for a high-end exteral monitor, PM MacDoc on this forum. He's got great deals on the NEC Professional line that'll blow away the Apple Cinema Displays (for about the same price). I purchased a NEC LCD2690WUXi2 through him, and it's superb.

ehlive
May 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Glossy ftw

overkill
May 2nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
after using both types of screens, matte is the way to go

patrick s.
May 2nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
I'm still waiting for a few weeks before I get mine. is the glossy screen the same as the imac ?

I have a 24" and the glossy screen was a bit frustrating in the beginning, but after a few hours I got used to it. with a mbp it'd be easier to adjust the screen angle so I think i'll go with another glossy screen (and I don't plan on using it outside the house)

JoeyDee
May 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I just found this on Gizmodo.

MacBook Pro 15: Is the Higher Resolution Screen Worth It? - MacBook Pro - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5538624/macbook-pro-15-is-the-higher-resolution-screen-worth-it)

May 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM
My personal preference is the Matte finish on computer displays. The reason why is because I find the glare has a tendency to irritate my eyes, and is less than desirable for me. However I will admit, the colours appear to be more "lush" with glossy displays.

I think most Apple die hards will agree with me..... the original Aluminum Cinema Displays were Apples finest :)

Kleles
May 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I looked at two 15" MBPs at the Apple store, side by side, same image, same ambient lighting, etc. I found that the colour saturation appeared deeper on the glossy display, and I could not see any difference in the detail. I did not compare the screens with text, or look at a typical web page.

If I had the choice for my 13" MBP, I would choose what I have -- glossy. I've read that those who are concerned about colour critical work would choose the matte screen. I would expect that they would be mostly working with desk top machines.

SINC
May 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I had a 15" MBP glossy. My workspace in the house has white opaque horizontal blinds behind me and all I could see were blinds. Outside? Forget it. It reflected everything, clouds, blue skies, traffic going by and on and on. So much reflection it was ridiculous and unusable.

I gave it to our daughter and bought a new 15" MBP matte. What a great difference.

MBD
May 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I find I squint with glossy screens. All my computer screens are matte (including my flat panel TV) which my husband and I chose specifically because it was matte. I just bought a 17" Macbook Pro & got the matte one as a refurb. I would probably lean in too much on a glossy & I have neck problems as it is.