: Scanning Photos & Software

csonni
Apr 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have a bunch of old photos I am planning on scanning. I've used Image Capture quite a bit and have tried VueScan. Never tried Silverfast. Is there other scanning software out there other than these? I can scan in CS3 and Graphic Converter. My question is, what makes a good scan? Is it entirely capturing as much detail or is it software related? I can do post processing in CS3, but maybe some of that can be taken care of in the scanning process.

chas_m
Apr 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM
The software is largely unimportant. The *optical* resolution of the scanner is much more important, along with developing a good workflow.

I scan my photos at the highest optical resolution of the scanner, crop, then save in a lossless format (TIFF uncompressed). These are put aside, never "processed," and burned to a DVD for archival purposes. I don't want to ever have to re-scan stuff, especially very old stuff.

Next I use ACDSee Pro for Mac to batch-process the TIFF files into lower-rez (not too low of course, like 1200dpi) renamed files. I used to use GraphicConverter for this, but ACDSee is a lot faster and more powerful (and I'm biased!). :)

(One could also construct an Applescript or Automator script, but I'm just lazy that way.)

These I enhance/edit using Photoshop or whichever one you prefer and are re-saved when I'm happy with them. Then back into the batch-processor to make 300dpi JPGs of the finals. These are the ones I use for web/gallery/proofs/clients/general sharing, and they're stored in iPhoto. The higher-rez edited TIFFs are kept outside of iPhoto because even though the program can handle them, it slows things down and I rarely need to access them, so they're kept on a "media" drive.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but once you develop a flow it's actually not as much work as it sounds, and you have archival (untouched) quality, high-rez (lossless) copies and lower-rez "working" copies, so you're good to go for any situation and won't ever have to re-scan that photo again.

csonni
Apr 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Excellent. Thank you.

frandavis
May 1st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah buddy, I also would like to say thanks for it.