: Applecare 'replacement' in-store or through the phone?

J-Money
Apr 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Sorry, I just saw the other thread of "buying in-store or online" and reminded me to ask this question.

Do people have more luck getting a replacement from multiple repairs in-store, or through the phone?

I bought a Rev. A MacBook Air last March, which I had bought an extra 2 years of AppleCare before it turned 1 year. So far, I've had these repairs done (if I can remember correctly):

1. Logic board replacement within the first 5 months
2. Bottom case replacement due to a ding/booboo caused during repair
3. Hinge replacement due to too much slack (I know it's a common problem, but let's not remind them :rolleyes: )
4. Keyboard replacement, or could have been another internal part (maybe the logic board again) cause the keyboard wasn't working since they forgot to ground something after replacing the casing/hinge

Right now, the Air gets really slow, and not just the normal choppiness from Flash and overheating, but sometimes I hear a "beep", which I think might be coming from the hard drive, and it beachballs for about a minute or two. This happens maybe once a day.

Not to mention I'm also missing a screw, and two others are getting loose, when I had told them the first time that they kept getting loose. I haven't gone in to get them tightened in a while because, well, I shouldn't have to. Also, I'm a teacher, so I had to keep a hold of all the files/grading before I go in and complain, so they can take my computer away from me for a few days.

I had called in once on the Applecare number, and I was told that "given the history of your repairs, we should be able to replace your unit the next time you have an issue. For the moment, if it's in working condition, we cannot provide you with one." That was after I had brought the laptop to the Applestore with all these issues that happened before it turned a year old.

Do I have enough weight for a replacement, and should I go to an Applestore? Or will they just see me as someone who's trying to take advantage of the system, and "flag" me for being a customer complaining all the time?

broad
Apr 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not to mention I'm also missing a screw, and two others are getting loose, when I had told them the first time that they kept getting loose. I haven't gone in to get them tightened in a while because, well, I shouldn't have to.

sounds like you have a loose screw alright..

the only repairs you have had *thus far* which should affect your ability to obtain a replacement unit are the MLB replacement and maybe the keyboard/mlb replacement, depending on what was actually done. it would help your case to know *exactly* what happened to the machine before you call APP to plead your case for a new unit.

sidebar:do you seriously go into the applestore to have the screws in your bottom case tightened?? i mean come on...man up a little bit. i would be embarrassed to do that.

The G4 Man
Apr 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
If its an issue, and your unsure. I sure damn would. Better safe then sorry!

-TG4M

broad
Apr 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM
so loose bottom case screw=issue now.

good to know.

The G4 Man
Apr 17th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Ahh, Good old Broad. If it counts as an issue, then thats a win no? One more strike against apcare!...

-TG4M

J-Money
Apr 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've tried screwing them in numerous times, but I don't have a screwdriver that fits. Also, I've never had any "loose screw" problems ever since they did the first repair; now they just fall off like nothing.

I'm planning to ask for a replacement for the "beeping" issue, and the unusual slowness (even for an Rev. A Air). The screws was just another thing.

I guess people are too lazy to read these days.

broad
Apr 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
i hate to break it to you, but "slowness" isn't an issue apple will replace a computer for, unless it can be specifically tied to a major hardware failure and you have had multiple major hardware failures in a given time span

i-rui
Apr 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I had a MBP replaced with a new unit in the past. What i was told is it has to be 3 repairs for the SAME issue. So i don't think you qualify just yet (although multiple issues will also certainly help your case).

J-Money
Apr 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Alright, thanks for the input. Like I stated earlier, I had all these issues before the first year, and a manager through Applecare customer service number had said that "given the history" they would grant me a replacement if another issue arises. Now I just don't know if he was only saying that to get me off the phone.

Jason H
Apr 17th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I had a MBP replaced with a new unit in the past. What i was told is it has to be 3 repairs for the SAME issue. So i don't think you qualify just yet (although multiple issues will also certainly help your case).

Uhhhh. No. Three issues.

With my previous mac book pro they replaced the Optical Drive, DC in board(or whatever its called now), the power adaptor/battery (after two years they replaced my battery! go apple!) and then the same machine developed a logic board issue. Apple replaced it, all I had to go was ask.

I was in a hurry so they swapped the machine at the Apple store. Customer Relations is the key to getting a machine replaced. Talk to them always! Customer relations authorized the exchange in store, much to the dismay of the apple store management! Generally they just ship you a new machine.

I find ehmac members are slightly defensive when it comes to getting a machine replaced. I think they believe that steve jobs might break into their house at night and take their machine and give it to you! Good luck OP!

monokitty
Apr 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Just to clarify, there is no set definition in stone of when Apple will replace a defective unit, so anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get that idea out of their head. :) Contemplating the idea of replacing a customer unit is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Yes, generally speaking, after 3-4+ repairs, they will consider it, but that is no guarantee.

As an example, I had a customer a while ago who had previous repairs on his MBP 17", and while under my assessment, required another 3 parts to repair. After a month of fighting with Apple, Apple's final response to the customer was the refusal to replace the unit. (They did repair it, however, under the unit's AppleCare Protection Plan.)

J-Money
Apr 18th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Jason, Lars; thanks for the extra info. I'm pretty sure I wrote down the name of the Applecare rep that "promised" that I would get a replacement if I had any other issue. I guess I'll give them a call first, and ask them if there's anything they can do about all these things that were "supposed" to be repaired. I know I should have gone to them as soon as they arose, but like I said, I cannot part with my computer until the semester is done this week.

I just sucks when you pay $1000+ for a laptop, and so much crap goes wrong the first year of ownership.