: Just ordered my 27 Inch Imac I7 from the Apple store

mrfoofoo
Apr 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM
It is a refurbished model but I have to live with in my means. I was worried about buying a refurbished model but from all the people I spoke with including this forum, people are generally very happy, so I bit the bullet. With that said, it will be my first mac ever.

Right now I have a pc, which I leave on 24/7 without any issue. Is it ok to leave on a Imac 24/7?

Do any of you leave your Imacs on all the time?

MattOnDemand
Apr 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Out of the 7 days in a week, I leave mine on maybe 5. I've had this iMac for 15 months now and no problems :)

Newdeal
Apr 15th, 2010, 11:32 PM
It is a refurbished model but I have to live with in my means. I was worried about buying a refurbished model but from all the people I spoke with including this forum, people are generally very happy, so I bit the bullet. With that said, it will be my first mac ever.

Right now I have a pc, which I leave on 24/7 without any issue. Is it ok to leave on a Imac 24/7?

Dont see why not, it will go to sleep anyway so its not really "on" its sleeping

Vandave
Apr 15th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Mine has been on for about 2 years straight now. Just reboots for software updates.

monokitty
Apr 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Mine has been on for about 2 years straight now. Just reboots for software updates.

+1; ..

No need to turn it off. A restart once a week (or every other week), however, isn't a bad idea.

wonderings
Apr 16th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I dont remember the last time I restarted my 27 inch i5 iMac. The only times I really restart is when a software update calls for it. I let it go to sleep of course, but its on all the time.

SINC
Apr 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM
My 2.66 Ghz MBP (New Dec. 2009) 8 GB RAM 500 GB HD running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is restarted once a day. Why? Because I have to.

The problem appears to be with RapidWeaver, (posting questions on their tech support site didn't even get a reply). After a few hours of use to update my web site, the MBP slows to a crawl. A restart solves the issue immediately.

This morning I decided to repair permissions after the restart and it took 9 minutes to finish. The list of repairs was in the thousands, much too long to read through, but the bulk of them concerned files that had to do with Airport.

I have it fully backed up in both a clone and Time Machine and I have reinstalled the OS twice now to try and rid myself of the issue, to no avail.

When it gets real bad, a restart will take up to seven minutes. When that happens I zap the PRAM and all is well again.

My Mini, used only occasionally but left sleeping also gives me issues. It won't print or Mail will stop sending, or it will not go back to sleep and I have to restart it as well. It is running the latest version of Leopard.

IllusionX
Apr 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM
it's ok to leave the computer on all the time.. don't even need to let it go to sleep. though it is set by default go to sleep after a while.

mkolesa
Apr 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
congrats on the 27"... i've had mine since december and love it! sure, i leave mine on all the time and there's no real reason to be turning it off unless you want to be extra cautious about electrical usage, but i would think sleep mode (which automatically gets activated after some period of non-use) is pretty low power anyway. having said that, after 3 weeks or so of use i'll find that some things don't respond as they usually do and i'll do a restart which puts everything right. fyi, a widget like istat pro will monitor your uptime in addition to giving you helpful system info. you'll find that running a system performance utility like onyx or maintenance (both free) every few months will also be helpful to clear the system cobwebs out.

gowyn
Apr 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
congrats of the i7.

Just wondering how you managed to get the i7 though? I've been watching the refurb site for a while now and have only seen the i5

fyrefly
Apr 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
My 2.66 Ghz MBP (New Dec. 2009) 8 GB RAM 500 GB HD running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is restarted once a day. Why? Because I have to.

The problem appears to be with RapidWeaver, (posting questions on their tech support site didn't even get a reply). After a few hours of use to update my web site, the MBP slows to a crawl. A restart solves the issue immediately.

Don't let him scare you, OP. SINC loves to have problems with his computer :D

https://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/82318-snow-leopard-apples-windows.html#post898867

https://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/75657-day-four-my-new-macbook-pro.html

https://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/74619-anyone-else-have-macbook-pro-logic-board-problems.html

We should pair him up with kloan who loves to have problems with his iPad. ;)

Seriously though, if the issues's with Rapidweaver, that sounds like a memory leak. Anyone else on the forums having a problem like yours?

Just wondering how you managed to get the i7 though? I've been watching the refurb site for a while now and have only seen the i5

The stock in the refurb store changes daily (sometimes hourly). There's a site called RefurbMe! Save more than 40% from your future Mac ! Discover discounts at the Apple Refurb Store (http://www.refurb.me) that will send you e-mail notifications there's a certain product you want added to the refurb store. Check it out.

JustAMacUser
Apr 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
It is a refurbished model but I have to live with in my means. I was worried about buying a refurbished model but from all the people I spoke with including this forum, people are generally very happy

Yeah... no worries about the refurbs... they come with the same warranty anyway. If you're nervous, you can always wait 11 months (to save up some money) then pick up the Applecare extended warranty for it. You can get Applecare anytime within the original one year warranty.

My computer is on about 16-18 hours a day. My Macbook Pro ran like that for years and my new iMac (just got a refurb i5 a couple weeks ago) will be run about the same. I set it to sleep after 35-minutes but it rarely gets that much inactivity between my use and the EyeTV recording stuff. I wouldn't worry about leaving it on. Most small/medium businesses use the same technology/parts and they leave their computers on non-stop for years.

mrfoofoo
Apr 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I am loving it thus far. I was just lucky I saw one refurbished I7 on the apple site, but I am sure more will show up by the day.

Also I have another question have any of you bought screen protectors for your Imacs to protect it from dust and dirt?

mkolesa
Apr 16th, 2010, 03:36 PM
welcome to the club! it's got a piece of glass over the display so it's really like having a screen protector built in. you can just wipe it down with the supplied microfiber cloth as required.