: Printer buying advice please

winwintoo
Apr 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Our social club has an aging HP inkjet 3 in 1 printer that is used as a photocopier. It has worked well for a long time. Some people were having trouble with paper jamming, but I personally haven't had a problem.

So. Since the club needs to spend some money, there is a movement afoot to get a new copier.

Recommendations please.

1. a new 3 in 1 similar to the one that we already have - about $150

2. keep the one we have until it gives up the ghost and worry about a replacement then - we have about a year's supply of ink cartridges

3. invest more money in a colour laser 3 in 1 machine

Additional considerations:

Are newer printers up to the quality of that old HP one? I seem to go through a lot of printers lately, and that old one keeps on working.

If we retire the current printer, it can be repurposed for use on our cookbook project. The printer is situated in a place where it's not feasible for me to connect to it with my MacBook so I'd like to bring it to my apartment - when I'm finished with it, we can give it away.

Does anyone have experience with colour laser 3 in 1 printers? How much is a toner cartridge, how long will one last, will the toner dry up if it isn't used constantly?

Any opinions welcome.

Margaret

spiffychristian
Apr 15th, 2010, 08:26 PM

FeXL
Apr 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM
If you're printing mostly text (photocopying), a laser is the most cost effective. Obviously, colour laser will increase that cost.

If you're printing mostly photos, an inkjet will give the best results but the costs are even more expensive than colour laser.

Toner doesn't dry up, it's a dry powder to begin with.

winwintoo
Apr 15th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys.

It's mostly text. These are elderly people so most copies are of legal documents etc.

There is another printer attached to the communal computer, and I've strongly suggested that rather than their much more computer savvy children and grandchildren sending them pictures in email and then printing them here, the children/grandchildren should send the images to WalMart, get them printed and then bring them over when they come to visit. :D:D

I'm leaning to the laser printer. Will google and see what I can find that will meet our needs.

Take care, Margaret