: "Seamless GPU Switching" for older macbook pros?

jbatson
Apr 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a firmware/software update for older macbook pros running the integrated and discrete nvidia GPU's so that we don't have to keep logging in and out to switch between the two? As the newest MBP's can do this, it would be a welcome change to those of us with the older machines.

monokitty
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM
No one here can read Apple's mind...

My gut feeling tells me the auto-switch feature will not become available on previous MBP models.

broad
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
id estimate a good 60% of the people with older ubmps dont even know that feature is there, so i cant imagine making it automated is high on the priority list over at old 1 infinite loop..

just sayin...

screature
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a firmware/software update for older macbook pros running the integrated and discrete nvidia GPU's so that we don't have to keep logging in and out to switch between the two? As the newest MBP's can do this, it would be a welcome change to those of us with the older machines.

But wouldn't that lessen the reasons why would you want to buy a new one? ;)

adam.sn
Apr 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM
id estimate a good 60% of the people with older ubmps dont even know that feature is there, so i cant imagine making it automated is high on the priority list over at old 1 infinite loop..

just sayin...

It's set to discreet as a default right? I'm plugged in 90% of the time with my laptop, so that's all that matters to me. How do I change it?

Cheers
- Adam

jbatson
Apr 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
its in system preferences under energy saver right at the top, im not sure what the default is, im running a late 2008 mbp and im pretty sure the default until i started playing around with it was integrated

jbatson
Apr 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for the input though guys, just wondered if anyone had heard anything, as that would have been a pretty sweet upgrade in my humble opinion

SINC
Apr 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
It's set to discreet as a default right? I'm plugged in 90% of the time with my laptop, so that's all that matters to me. How do I change it?

Cheers
- Adam

System prefs>energy saver>power adapter>higher performance: